all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
@ 2023-07-01 19:35 Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2023-07-01 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've just merged to master (75278855f4a) some additions to the Eshell
manual to try and fill in the last of the missing documentation.
Hopefully I haven't missed anything.

To that end, could people take a quick look over the latest version of
the Eshell manual to make sure it seems reasonably complete? There's a
lot more detail to various sections since Emacs 28, and a fair bit since
29 too. I've spent quite a while looking at the manual though, so it
would be helpful to have some fresh eyes take a look as well.

If anyone finds any major gaps, I'll try to get that fixed (or to help
get patches merged if you'd like to write the documentation yourself).

- Jim

* Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
@ 2023-07-02  8:52 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-07-02  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

> To that end, could people take a quick look over the latest version of
> the Eshell manual to make sure it seems reasonably complete? There's a
> lot more detail to various sections since Emacs 28, and a fair bit
> since 29 too.

That’s pretty awesome! Thank you!

> I've spent quite a while looking at the manual though,
> so it would be helpful to have some fresh eyes take a look as well.

I looked it up and found
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eshell.html — is
that the correct manual?

Is it available in info format?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
@ 2023-07-02  9:20   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-02  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: jporterbugs, emacs-devel

> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 10:52:08 +0200
>
> I looked it up and found
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eshell.html — is
> that the correct manual?
>
> Is it available in info format?

It's part of Emacs, so when you build Emacs and install it, the Eshell
manual in Info format is also installed.

* Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
@ 2023-07-02  9:31     ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-07-02  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: jporterbugs, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 10:52:08 +0200
>>
>> I looked it up and found
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eshell.html — is
>> that the correct manual?
>>
>> Is it available in info format?
>
> It's part of Emacs, so when you build Emacs and install it, the Eshell
> manual in Info format is also installed.

Arg, I searched wrong — I’m sorry for that.

I used "u" to move up, but then missed that I was not yet at the top
level when I searched for the eshell entry.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
@ 2023-07-03  2:44 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2023-07-03  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I've just merged to master (75278855f4a) some additions to the Eshell
  > manual to try and fill in the last of the missing documentation.
  > Hopefully I haven't missed anything.

It is very good to work on improving documentation, and bringing it
up to our standards for good documentation.

Thank you for putting time into it.

* Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
@ 2023-07-06 16:56 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-07-06 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jim,

> I've just merged to master (75278855f4a) some additions to the Eshell
> manual to try and fill in the last of the missing
> documentation. Hopefully I haven't missed anything.
>
> To that end, could people take a quick look over the latest version of
> the Eshell manual to make sure it seems reasonably complete? There's a
> lot more detail to various sections since Emacs 28, and a fair bit
> since 29 too. I've spent quite a while looking at the manual though,
> so it would be helpful to have some fresh eyes take a look as well.
>
> If anyone finds any major gaps, I'll try to get that fixed (or to help
> get patches merged if you'd like to write the documentation yourself).

I gave it a full proof-reading (based on 14e57b8f4cf). Here my comments:

- Top page "(*note Emacs Lisp Interaction: (emacs)Lisp Interaction.)"
  Shouldn't the period be at the end of the phrase?

- Top page: "This manual is for Eshell, the Emacs shell."
  eshell.el speaks about version 2.4.2, shouldn't this be mentioned
  here? And more general, is this a proper version today?

  Somewhere else in the manual we find "Eshell version 2.4.2, which is
  the version included with Emacs 22."

- Top page:

* Introduction::             A brief introduction to the Emacs Shell.
* Commands::
* Expansion::
* Input/Output::
* Extension modules::
* Bugs and ideas::              Known problems, and future ideas.
* GNU Free Documentation License:: The license for this documentation.
* Concept Index::
* Function and Variable Index::
* Command Index::

  Shouldn't all entries have a description? The same for all other menus
  (I don't mention it, again).

- 1 Introduction
  Menu is doubled. It misses node "What is Eshell?"

- 1.2 Contributors to Eshell
  I miss at least your name, and Amin Bandali.

- 2.2 Arguments "(*note Eshell commands: Built-ins.)"
  The period looks superfluous.

- 2.2.1 Quoting and escaping ‘"The answer is: \"$answer\""’
  Shouldn't it be ‘"The answer is: \"$ANSWER\""’

- 2.3 Built-in commands
  I suppose built-in commands are the functions `eshell/*', perhaps you
  could mention this.

  Comparing this list, and the built-in commands in "5.1.4 Tramp
  extensions" and "5.1.5 Extra built-in commands", I miss the built-in
  commands eshell/count, eshell/define, eshell/eshell-debug, eshell/ff,
  eshell/gf, eshell/urgrep.

  ‘kill’
  As I understand, it kills local processes. Since signal-process
  supports also remote processes: WIBNI eshell does it as well? (This
  comment is not part of the review, just being curious)

- 2.4.1 Built-in variables
  You offer $UID, but not $GID. Why?

  ‘$INSIDE_EMACS’
     This variable indicates to external commands that they are being
     invoked from within Emacs so they can adjust their behavior if
     necessary.  Its value is ‘EMACS-VERSION,eshell’.

  For remote processes, the value is 'EMACS-VERSION,eshell,tramp:TRAMP-VERSION'.
  Or even longer, f.e. if there is a compilation process. So you should say
  "The value starts with '...'".

- 2.5 Aliases
  "an alias’s arguments" => "an alias’s argument"

- 2.7 Completion
  "lisp forms" => "Lisp forms" (2 times)

- 2.8 Control Flow
  "lisp forms" => "Lisp forms"

- 3.1 Dollars Expansion

  ‘$<COMMAND>’
     As with ‘${COMMAND}’, evaluates the Eshell command invocation
     ‘COMMAND’, but writes the output to a temporary file and returns
     the file name.

  I'm curious: is it always a *local* temporary file, or can the
  temporary file being located on a remote system, if $<COMMAND> is
  executed there?

  "(*note Sequences: (elisp)Sequences Arrays Vectors.)."
  There seems to be a superfluous period.

- 3.2 Globbing
  Customize group “eshell-glob” => Customize group 'eshell-glob'

- 3.3 Argument Predication and Modification
  Customize group “eshell-pred” => Customize group 'eshell-pred'

- 4.2 Redirection
  ‘>>> BUFFER’
  ‘FD>>> BUFFER’
  I would still say DEST instead of BUFFER.

  ‘&> FILE’
  ‘>& FILE’
  ‘&>> FILE’
  ‘>>& FILE’
  ‘&>>> FILE’
  ‘>>>& FILE’
  I would still say DEST instead of FILE.

- 5.1 Optional modules
  "In addition to the various modules enabled by default (documented above)"

  I haven't seen any module description "above".  That is, the following
  modules aren't mentioned anywhere in the manual: eshell-alias,
  eshell-banner, eshell-basic, eshell-cmpl, eshell-dirs, eshell-extpipe,
  eshell-glob, eshell-hist, eshell-ls, eshell-pred, eshell-prompt,
  eshell-script, eshell-term, eshell-unix. All of them can be deselected
  via user option eshell-modules-list, which looks to me like they are
  optional.

  Of course, some of them aren't optional. So it might be needed to
  explain this user option, and to explain what shall be selected or
  deselected. Which modules are mandatory, and which are optional.

- 6 Bugs and ideas
  "Once symbolic mode is supported for ‘umask’, implement ‘chmod’ in Lisp"

  "man umask" tells me

   umask [-p] [-S] [mode]
              The user file-creation mask is set to mode.  If mode
              begins with a digit, it is interpreted as an octal number;
              otherwise it is interpreted as a symbolic mode mask
              similar to that accepted  by  chmod(1). ...

  "Write an ‘info’ alias that can take arguments
    So that the user can enter ‘info chmod’, for example."

  This seems to be implemented.

  "Write a ‘tail’ command which uses ‘view-file’
    It would move point to the end of the buffer, and then turns on
    auto-revert mode in that buffer at frequent intervals—and a ‘head’
    alias which assumes an upper limit of ‘eshell-maximum-line-length’
    characters per line.

  Perhaps auto-revert-tail-mode is better suited?

Finally, since you are the de-facto maintainer of eshell, you might
consider to add yourself to admin/MAINTAINERS.

> - Jim

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
@ 2023-07-08  5:57   ` Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2023-07-08  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 7/6/2023 9:56 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> I gave it a full proof-reading (based on 14e57b8f4cf). Here my comments:

Thanks for the thorough review. Responses inline below.

> - Top page "(*note Emacs Lisp Interaction: (emacs)Lisp Interaction.)"
>    Shouldn't the period be at the end of the phrase?

Fixed.

> - Top page: "This manual is for Eshell, the Emacs shell."
>    eshell.el speaks about version 2.4.2, shouldn't this be mentioned
>    here? And more general, is this a proper version today?
>
>    Somewhere else in the manual we find "Eshell version 2.4.2, which is
>    the version included with Emacs 22."

I'll have to think about that. It might make sense to bump Eshell's
version to 3.0.0 for Emacs 29 (there are quite a few changes), and then
maybe 3.1.0 for Emacs 30 (where there are not so many changes - at least
not yet). I'm open to ideas though.

> - Top page:

> * Introduction::             A brief introduction to the Emacs Shell.
> * Commands::
> * Expansion::
> * Input/Output::
> * Extension modules::
> * Bugs and ideas::              Known problems, and future ideas.
> * GNU Free Documentation License:: The license for this documentation.
> * Concept Index::
> * Function and Variable Index::
> * Command Index::
>
>    Shouldn't all entries have a description? The same for all other menus
>    (I don't mention it, again).

Possibly. I'm not sure what the standard is, but it would probably be ok
to add descriptions for everything.

> - 1 Introduction
>    Menu is doubled. It misses node "What is Eshell?"

This might take a bit of reorganizing. Maybe someone else knows the
right way to arrange Texinfo sections here? Otherwise, I can look into
it later.

> - 1.2 Contributors to Eshell
>    I miss at least your name, and Amin Bandali.

I'll start a separate thread to see if any past Eshell contributors
whose names aren't on the list would like to be added.

> - 2.2 Arguments "(*note Eshell commands: Built-ins.)"
>    The period looks superfluous.

Fixed.

> - 2.2.1 Quoting and escaping ‘"The answer is: \"$answer\""’
>    Shouldn't it be ‘"The answer is: \"$ANSWER\""’

Well, that depends. Eshell variables can be Lisp variables or
environment variables, so in the former case, "$answer" would make
sense, I think.

> - 2.3 Built-in commands
>    I suppose built-in commands are the functions `eshell/*', perhaps you
>    could mention this.

That's actually mentioned farther down, in the "Defining new built-in
commands" section, but it probably makes sense to mention it here too.
Fixed.

>    Comparing this list, and the built-in commands in "5.1.4 Tramp
>    extensions" and "5.1.5 Extra built-in commands", I miss the built-in
>    commands eshell/count, eshell/define, eshell/eshell-debug, eshell/ff,
>    eshell/gf, eshell/urgrep.

I added documentation for 'count', 'eshell-debug', 'ff', and 'gf'.
'define' is obsolete (I'm not sure it ever worked, and maybe I should
have just removed it entirely). 'urgrep' is from the Urgrep package on
GNU ELPA (which I wrote :)).

>    ‘kill’
>    As I understand, it kills local processes. Since signal-process
>    supports also remote processes: WIBNI eshell does it as well? (This
>    comment is not part of the review, just being curious)

I'll have to look into this. Improving Tramp support in Eshell is
definitely on my list of things to do.

> - 2.4.1 Built-in variables
>    You offer $UID, but not $GID. Why?

Oops. I actually thought I had done that already (see bug#63221), but
evidently I forgot to add a special built-in variable for it. I'll file
a separate bug for this.

>    ‘$INSIDE_EMACS’
>       This variable indicates to external commands that they are being
>       invoked from within Emacs so they can adjust their behavior if
>       necessary.  Its value is ‘EMACS-VERSION,eshell’.
>
>    For remote processes, the value is 'EMACS-VERSION,eshell,tramp:TRAMP-VERSION'.
>    Or even longer, f.e. if there is a compilation process. So you should say
>    "The value starts with '...'".

Fixed.

> - 2.5 Aliases
>    "an alias’s arguments" => "an alias’s argument"

I think the current text is correct, actually. There's one alias in the
example, but it has several arguments.

> - 2.7 Completion
>    "lisp forms" => "Lisp forms" (2 times)
>
> - 2.8 Control Flow
>    "lisp forms" => "Lisp forms"

Fixed.

> - 3.1 Dollars Expansion
>
>    ‘$<COMMAND>’
>       As with ‘${COMMAND}’, evaluates the Eshell command invocation
>       ‘COMMAND’, but writes the output to a temporary file and returns
>       the file name.
>
>    I'm curious: is it always a *local* temporary file, or can the
>    temporary file being located on a remote system, if $<COMMAND> is
>    executed there?

Hmm, I'm not sure. Looking at the code, I *think* it's always local, but
I'll have to test it out.

>    "(*note Sequences: (elisp)Sequences Arrays Vectors.)."
>    There seems to be a superfluous period.

Fixed.

> - 3.2 Globbing
>    Customize group “eshell-glob” => Customize group 'eshell-glob'
>
> - 3.3 Argument Predication and Modification
>    Customize group “eshell-pred” => Customize group 'eshell-pred'

Fixed.

> - 4.2 Redirection
>    ‘>>> BUFFER’
>    ‘FD>>> BUFFER’
>    I would still say DEST instead of BUFFER.
>
>    ‘&> FILE’
>    ‘>& FILE’
>    ‘&>> FILE’
>    ‘>>& FILE’
>    ‘&>>> FILE’
>    ‘>>>& FILE’
>    I would still say DEST instead of FILE.

Fixed.

> - 5.1 Optional modules
>    "In addition to the various modules enabled by default (documented above)"
>
>    I haven't seen any module description "above".  That is, the following
>    modules aren't mentioned anywhere in the manual: eshell-alias,
>    eshell-banner, eshell-basic, eshell-cmpl, eshell-dirs, eshell-extpipe,
>    eshell-glob, eshell-hist, eshell-ls, eshell-pred, eshell-prompt,
>    eshell-script, eshell-term, eshell-unix. All of them can be deselected
>    via user option eshell-modules-list, which looks to me like they are
>    optional.
>
>    Of course, some of them aren't optional. So it might be needed to
>    explain this user option, and to explain what shall be selected or
>    deselected. Which modules are mandatory, and which are optional.

All the modules *should* be optional (although there are several that I
can't imagine a user disabling, like 'eshell-dirs'). I'll have to think
about how to document this more clearly...

> - 6 Bugs and ideas
>    "Once symbolic mode is supported for ‘umask’, implement ‘chmod’ in Lisp"
>
>    "man umask" tells me
>
>     umask [-p] [-S] [mode]
>                The user file-creation mask is set to mode.  If mode
>                begins with a digit, it is interpreted as an octal number;
>                otherwise it is interpreted as a symbolic mode mask
>                similar to that accepted  by  chmod(1). ...

There's a built-in version of umask ('eshell/umask'), but it doesn't
support symbolic mode yet. I actually have a patch in progress for this...

>    "Write an ‘info’ alias that can take arguments
>      So that the user can enter ‘info chmod’, for example."
>
>    This seems to be implemented.

Looks like it. Fixed.

>    "Write a ‘tail’ command which uses ‘view-file’
>      It would move point to the end of the buffer, and then turns on
>      auto-revert mode in that buffer at frequent intervals—and a ‘head’
>      alias which assumes an upper limit of ‘eshell-maximum-line-length’
>      characters per line.
>
>    Perhaps auto-revert-tail-mode is better suited?

Perhaps. I'll look into that and how it would work exactly.

* Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
@ 2023-07-08 15:16     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-07-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jim,

> I'll have to think about that. It might make sense to bump Eshell's
> version to 3.0.0 for Emacs 29 (there are quite a few changes), and
> then maybe 3.1.0 for Emacs 30 (where there are not so many changes -
> at least not yet). I'm open to ideas though.

Sounds OK.

>> - 2.2.1 Quoting and escaping ‘"The answer is: \"$answer\""’
>>    Shouldn't it be ‘"The answer is: \"$ANSWER\""’
>
> Well, that depends. Eshell variables can be Lisp variables or
> environment variables, so in the former case, "$answer" would make
> sense, I think.

But you have used the capitalized ANSWER before, so it shall be
consistent. I know that this is because of @var{answer}, but this is
what it looks like.

>>    Comparing this list, and the built-in commands in "5.1.4 Tramp
>>    extensions" and "5.1.5 Extra built-in commands", I miss the built-in
>>    commands eshell/count, eshell/define, eshell/eshell-debug, eshell/ff,
>>    eshell/gf, eshell/urgrep.
>
> I added documentation for 'count', 'eshell-debug', 'ff', and
> 'gf'. 'define' is obsolete (I'm not sure it ever worked, and maybe I
> should have just removed it entirely). 'urgrep' is from the Urgrep
> package on GNU ELPA (which I wrote :)).

Yep. However, the references for 'ff' and 'gf' are wrong. Instead of
@pxref{Dired and Find, , , elisp, The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual} it
must be @pxref{Dired and Find, , , emacs, The Emacs Editor}

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Eshell manual is (hopefully) complete!
@ 2023-07-08 19:16       ` Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2023-07-08 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 7/8/2023 8:16 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> But you have used the capitalized ANSWER before, so it shall be
> consistent. I know that this is because of @var{answer}, but this is
> what it looks like.

Ah, I see now. I think I just needed to use "@var{answer}" consistently,
which I've now done. This should now look correct in both Info (all
caps) and HTML (lowercase) formats.

> Yep. However, the references for 'ff' and 'gf' are wrong. Instead of
> @pxref{Dired and Find, , , elisp, The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual} it
> must be @pxref{Dired and Find, , , emacs, The Emacs Editor}

Whoops, fixed. Thanks for the catch.