all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "Screen"-like functionality
@ 2021-08-21 13:24 Julius Hamilton
From: Julius Hamilton @ 2021-08-21 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey,

There is a bash tool called screen which lets you switch windows between
different command line prompts.

Is there any similar tool for Emacs, where you could run some kind of
process, for example the Emacs web browser, then switch to a different
window or process within Emacs, such as a text file being edited?

I guess it would just be like having tabs but the tab bar would ideally not
be visible.

Thanks very much,
Julius

* Re: "Screen"-like functionality
@ 2021-08-21 13:28 ` Jean-Christophe Helary
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-08-21 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julius Hamilton; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On Aug 21, 2021, at 22:24, Julius Hamilton <julkhami@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> There is a bash tool called screen which lets you switch windows between
> different command line prompts.
>
> Is there any similar tool for Emacs, where you could run some kind of
> process, for example the Emacs web browser, then switch to a different
> window or process within Emacs, such as a text file being edited?

Aren't you describing what buffers are about ?

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com

* Re: "Screen"-like functionality
@ 2021-08-21 13:54   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-08-21 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Hey there, so I am basically one of those people that changes their Emacs config every 6 months, and see what works, or removes stuff, etc, repeat.

Not sure if this helps but I was looking for the same kind of thing, but am more of a 'tmux' fan. I know what you're after where its easy buffer management on the fly to do quick splits (vertically or horizontally), as well as managing 'windows' of different terminal panes.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything useful yet since the 'tmux' derivatives I have tried are either outdated because of recent updates to Emacs, or just jenky / dead projects.

But, I will share with you my research that I gathered since I write all life tasks as todo list items, so hopefully my research below can help you somehow (NOTE: I'm also a person that if I don't see a .gif or screenshots of projects of Emacs plugins, I NEVER try it since I firmly believe every decent project should have a corresponding screenshot to actually know what it does)

RESEARCH:

<2021-06-11 Fri 22:43>: I would like to create multiple workspaces within a single Emacs window itself somehow, kind of like how Tmux does
separate windows.

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:28>: Somewhat related but I found 'yabai' which looks like a Window Manager for MacOSX:
- https://github.com/koekeishiya/yabai

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:30>: Apparently the "C-x left" and "C-x right" allow you to switch buffers left and right.

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:32>: Someone on IRC told me about this, which is "eyebrowse" a related window manager Emacs package for Emacs buffers:
- https://depp.brause.cc/eyebrowse/

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:40>: These are other related window manager style Emacs packages mentioned by the maintainer for the 'eyebrowse' package:
- https://github.com/shosti/elscreen
- https://github.com/emacsattic/escreen
- https://github.com/ilohmar/wconf
- https://github.com/tlh/workgroups.el
- https://github.com/pashinin/workgroups2

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:45>: I never even knew there was a 'tmux plugin manager' or 'tpm':
- https://github.com/tmux-plugins/tpm

<2021-06-15 Tue 17:46>: I could also use 'tmux-pane' from MELPA as well:
- https://github.com/laishulu/emacs-tmux-pane

<2021-06-20 Sun 22:50>: This is cool, but I don't do this too too often. Demoting to bottom of list.

<2021-06-22 Tue 00:09>: I found a few more :/ so the decision will be a tough one:
- https://github.com/manateelazycat/awesome-tab
- https://github.com/ema2159/centaur-tabs

<2021-06-22 Tue 00:10>: In total, here are the options, aka here's a checklist of them so I can just try out each one, and just nuke it if I
don't like it [57%]
- [X] https://github.com/shosti/elscreen <2021-07-06 Tue 23:39>: No longer maintained = no way
- [X] https://github.com/emacsattic/escreen <2021-07-06 Tue 23:39>: Doesn't have a description in GitHub, no way
- [X] https://github.com/ilohmar/wconf <2021-07-06 Tue 23:40>: No gif, no buy
- [X] https://github.com/tlh/workgroups.el

@ 2021-08-21 18:27 ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-08-21 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julius Hamilton; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Julius Hamilton <julkhami@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey,
>
> There is a bash tool called screen which lets you switch windows between
> different command line prompts.
>
> Is there any similar tool for Emacs, where you could run some kind of
> process, for example the Emacs web browser, then switch to a different
> window or process within Emacs, such as a text file being edited?
>
> I guess it would just be like having tabs but the tab bar would ideally not
> be visible.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Julius

Every file, process, etc has it's own buffer, and you may always switch
buffers with C-x b in any window. You might wish to explore tools like
helm-buffers which will autocomplete name of buffers from an interactive
list as you type. You may also bind functions `previous-buffer' and
`next-buffer' to a keybinding for easier navigation.

For example I use F10 to go to previous buffer, and S-F10 to next
buffer. I usually just tap F10 quickly to navigate list of buffers.

* Re: "Screen"-like functionality
@ 2021-08-21 18:49 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Julius Hamilton wrote:

> There is a bash tool called screen which lets you switch
> windows between different command line prompts.

To be precise, screen (GNU screen) is rather a tool associated
with the terminal emulator, it will work with other shells as
well apart from, be it ksh or zsh or whatever.

Tools such as screen are called terminal multiplexers, the
other big one is tmux (out of BSD) which today is more common
than screen, I think.

> Is there any similar tool for Emacs, where you could run
> some kind of process, for example the Emacs web browser

There is eww (Emacs Web Wowser) which is built-in and the
third-party Emacs-w3m (which uses the shell tool w3m),
Emacs-w3m (out of Japan) has been around longer and should be
very capable of at least static pages (it doesn't support
JavaScript). Because "everyone" today assumes tons of
different fonts/sizes, huge resolutions and mouse use, some
pages appear overloaded in an Emacs buffer, but that's not
Emacs-w3m's fault (and I guess not the webmaster's either, as
their assumption may be correct for 99% of their users - it is
just reality, I guess).

> then switch to a different window or process within Emacs,
> such as a text file being edited?

M-x shell RET

?

It should be enough for most purposes and you switch between
buffers like any other Emacs buffers.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: "Screen"-like functionality
@ 2021-08-21 18:55   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-21 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arthur Miller wrote:

> Every file, process, etc has it's own buffer

_Almost_ all processes have their own buffers :)

M-x list-processes RET

Process  PID     Status  Buffer                              TTY        Thread Command
ispell   1702399 run     --                                  --         Main   ispell -a -m -C -d swedish
nntpd    --      open    *server news.gmane.io nntp *nntpd** --         Main   (network connection to news.gmane.io:nntp)
nntpd<1> --      open    *server nntp.aioe.org nntp *nntpd** --         Main   (network connection to nntp.aioe.org:nntp)
shell    1701994 run     *shell*                             /dev/pts/6 Main   /bin/zsh -i

--

@ 2021-08-22  0:02     ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-08-22  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Second reply to this list.

I think most people in this thread don't understand how awesome have different panes of pre-selected terminals, or ncurses type programs in a specific designation of split panes can be. I think that's primarily what the main person who asked the question is after. I don't think the main OP is after figuring out how to manipulate the buffer list itself.

Just wanted to note, please check out my post with my previous research as I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Also, my take on default buffer management in Emacs is that it sucks by default, but the iBuffer package helps a tad bit.

I'll have to join this thread in that I too have been seeking something that allows you to designate a couple of pre-loaded buffers, or programs loaded via ansi-term or vterm that would be saved, and interacted with, just in the same method on how 'tmux' does different windows of buffers.

@ 2021-08-22  0:12       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-22  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Samuel Banya wrote:

> I think most people in this thread don't understand how
> awesome have different panes of pre-selected terminals, or
> ncurses type programs in a specific designation of split
> panes can be. I think that's primarily what the main person
> who asked the question is after. I don't think the main OP
> is after figuring out how to manipulate the buffer
> list itself.

Can you please post a screenshot to show what sort of setup
you refer to here, as for mine tmux panes in the Linux VTs and
xterm I'd say they are pretty comparable to Emacs windows?

--

@ 2021-08-22  0:30         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-22  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Can you please post a screenshot to show what sort of setup
> you refer to here, as for mine tmux panes in the Linux VTs
> and xterm I'd say they are pretty comparable to
> Emacs windows?

Emacs windows:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/emacs/emacs-uxu-submarine-spetsnaz.png

More mundane examples, Emacs-w3m and ERC / ERC and Gnus:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/emacs/emacs-w3m.png
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/emacs/erc-gnus.png

tmux panes:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/pimgs/comp/clocks.png

not panes?

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/pimgs/shadowgate-ui.png

  (that's the NES, not Mac Plus version. that was neater.
  and in black and white. the mouse helped, too.)

not panes:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/pimgs/mountain.png

--

@ 2021-08-22  2:46       ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-08-22  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

"Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com> writes:

> I think most people in this thread don't understand how awesome have different
> panes of pre-selected terminals, or ncurses type programs in a specific
> designation of split panes can be.
Or most of persons on this list have been-there done that and moved on
... Split panes = Emacs windows, you can open as many terminals in
those windows as you want. Emacs = your new tmux. Don't worry, you will
get it in time :).

>                                  I don't think the main OP is after figuring out
> how to manipulate the buffer list itself.

I don't know, why don't he reply himself what he is after, if that
wasn't what he wanted?

> Just wanted to note, please check out my post with my previous research as I think you'll find what you're looking for.
>
> Also, my take on default buffer management in Emacs is that it sucks by default, but the iBuffer package helps a tad bit.

You are free to prefer which ever application you do ofcourse, but I
suggest you to try helm for buffer management. iBuffer is a joke
compared to helm.

> I'll have to join this thread in that I too have been seeking something that allows you to designate a couple of pre-loaded buffers, or programs loaded via ansi-term or vterm that would be saved, and interacted with, just in the same method on how 'tmux' does different windows of buffers.

> programs loaded via ansi-term or vterm that would be saved, and interacted with

What exactly do you mean with "loaded via ansi-term" "saved" and
"interacted with"?

Loaded via ansi term? You mean when you start ansi-term or vterm you
would like to run an application? You can write very simple elisp
scripts to run programs you wish in their separate terms, try this:

(switch-to-buffer (term-ansi-make-term "*term-top*" "/bin/bash" nil "-c" "top"))

If you read your email in Emacs you can just place cursor after last
parenthesis end C-x C-e. See what happends.

By saved you mean you can switch windows and than come back or you mean
you will save those in some scripts and have same programs run again at
later time?

You can write a small elisp script to that for you, and than simply load
your script on demand with a keyboard shortcut or put it in your init
file. You will have to learn functions to manipulate windows and
buffers, but it is not very complicated to accomplish
that. Alternatively tab-bar mode might be something for you to look at.

Intersting how much tab-bar mode got promoted this night :).

* Re: "Screen"-like functionality
@ 2021-08-23 14:48   ` Julius Hamilton
From: Julius Hamilton @ 2021-08-23 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks very much.

How would I launch the Eww web browser in the top half of the Emacs screen,
i.e. split the window into two windows?

And then, if I call C-x b, I can switch to a different buffer just for that
top half window?

Thanks very much,
Julius

@ 2021-08-23 14:52     ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2021-08-23 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julius Hamilton; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Arthur Miller

> On Aug 23, 2021, at 23:48, Julius Hamilton <julkhami@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> How would I launch the Eww web browser in the top half of the Emacs screen,
> i.e. split the window into two windows?

Split in 2 with C-x 2
Launch the browser with M-x eww

> And then, if I call C-x b, I can switch to a different buffer just for that
> top half window?

Yes, and you can go to the other buffer with C-x o

Check the Buffer section in the manual for all the navigation that you can do with defaults.

--

@ 2021-08-23 21:53       ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-08-23 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Julius Hamilton, help-gnu-emacs

Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

>> On Aug 23, 2021, at 23:48, Julius Hamilton <julkhami@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>
>> How would I launch the Eww web browser in the top half of the Emacs screen,
>> i.e. split the window into two windows?
>
> Split in 2 with C-x 2
> Launch the browser with M-x eww
>
>> And then, if I call C-x b, I can switch to a different buffer just for that
>> top half window?
>
> Yes, and you can go to the other buffer with C-x o

Pretty much so.

You can also enable windmove to move up/down between tob and bottom
windows:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WindMove

Windmove is included in Emacs so you can just (require 'windmove) in
your setup, and possibly remap those keys to something more convenient
than defaults. Maybe this little article can help you:

http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/whizz-between-windows-with-windmove/

* Re: "Screen"-like functionality
@ 2021-08-23 22:45         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-23 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Arthur Miller wrote:

>> Yes, and you can go to the other buffer with C-x o
>
> Pretty much so.
>
> You can also enable windmove to move up/down between tob and
> bottom windows:
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WindMove
>
> Windmove is included in Emacs so you can just (require
> 'windmove) in your setup, and possibly remap those keys to
> something more convenient than defaults. Maybe this little
> article can help you:
>
> http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/whizz-between-windows-with-windmove/

I use M-o for "other-window-or-split" (see below) and M-p for
`delete-other-windows', that's all I do with windows I think
but it works for me.

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;;
;;; this file:
;;;   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs-init/window-incal.el
;;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/window-incal.el

;; same window for new things
(setq display-buffer-alist '((".*" display-buffer-same-window)))

(defun beginning-of-line-at-top ()
  "Position point at `beginning-of-line'.
Then put that line at the top of the window."
  (beginning-of-line)
  (recenter 0) )

(defun doodle-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((doodle-buffer "~/ooa/doodle.el"))
    (if (one-window-p)
        (progn
          (split-window-below)
          (other-window 1)
          (find-file doodle-buffer) )
      (find-file doodle-buffer) )))
(defalias 'db #'doodle-buffer)

;; the two-window solution

(defun other-window-or-split ()
  (interactive)
  (when (one-window-p) (split-window-below))
  (other-window 1) )

(defun swap-windows ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((buffer (current-buffer)))
    (other-window 1)
    (switch-to-buffer-other-window (current-buffer))
    (other-window 1)
    (switch-to-buffer buffer) ))

;; window size shorthands

(defun window-increase-size (lines)
  (interactive "p")
  (window-resize nil lines) ) ; the current WINDOW

(defun window-decrease-size (lines)
  (interactive "p")
  (window-resize nil (* -1 lines) ))

(provide 'window-incal)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: "Screen"-like functionality
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-08-24 10:02 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-08-24 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, 21 Aug 2021 at 15:24, Julius Hamilton wrote:
> I guess it would just be like having tabs but the tab bar would ideally not
> be visible.

You can use tab bar without the bar being visible.  Check out the
tab-bar-show variable.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4.6 on Debian 11.0

* Re: "Screen"-like functionality
@ 2021-08-24 14:43       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-08-24 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Julius Hamilton, help-gnu-emacs, Arthur Miller

On 2021-08-23, at 16:52, Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

>> On Aug 23, 2021, at 23:48, Julius Hamilton <julkhami@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>
>> How would I launch the Eww web browser in the top half of the Emacs screen,
>> i.e. split the window into two windows?
>
> Split in 2 with C-x 2

Try also C-x 3.

Best,