all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#64139: 28.2; Scrolling problems in miniwindow
@ 2023-06-18  0:26 Al Petrofsky
From: Al Petrofsky @ 2023-06-18  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 64139

I'm seeing some weird scrolling bugs in the miniwindow when the
minibuffer contains more lines than the window.  I think these
problems exist on ttys and graphical terminals of all sizes, but for
ease of reproducibility use an 80x24 tty.

   emacs-28.2 -Q -nw
   M-: C-@ C-x ( C-x C-k TAB C-q C-j C-u 9 9 C-x e C-x C-x C-v

The C-v, instead of scrolling a few lines, scrolls all the way down to
line 97.

Also, if you now repeatedly M-v, the buffer will just scroll up and
down three lines.  When I use a large X frame, repeated M-v will
scroll up to the top of the buffer, but then glitch and cycle around
back to the bottom.

* bug#64139: 28.2; Scrolling problems in miniwindow
@ 2023-06-18  7:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-06-18  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Petrofsky, Juri Linkov; +Cc: 64139

> From: Al Petrofsky <al@petrofsky.org>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 20:26:19 -0400
>
> I'm seeing some weird scrolling bugs in the miniwindow when the
> minibuffer contains more lines than the window.  I think these
> problems exist on ttys and graphical terminals of all sizes, but for
> ease of reproducibility use an 80x24 tty.
>
>    emacs-28.2 -Q -nw
>    M-: C-@ C-x ( C-x C-k TAB C-q C-j C-u 9 9 C-x e C-x C-x C-v
>
> The C-v, instead of scrolling a few lines, scrolls all the way down to
> line 97.

I tried to use this recipe, but it produces weird results, and I don't
see what you describe.  Would you like to show an easier to understand
recipe, or describe what should be in the min-window as result of the
recipe?  And what exactly are your expectations from C-v/M-v in this
case?

I tried this:

  M-x C-u 99 C-q C-j M-<

after that, C-v scrolls the mini-window as expected, so that I get to
the end in 13 C-v keypresses.  Which looks reasonable to me.

> Also, if you now repeatedly M-v, the buffer will just scroll up and
> down three lines.  When I use a large X frame, repeated M-v will
> scroll up to the top of the buffer, but then glitch and cycle around
> back to the bottom.

M-v in the minibuffer is bound to switch-to-completions, so I'm unsure
what you expected here.

Adding Juri who worked on the scrolling commands in the minibuffer.

* bug#64139: 28.2; Scrolling problems in miniwindow
@ 2023-06-18  9:07   ` Al Petrofsky
From: Al Petrofsky @ 2023-06-18  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 64139, Juri Linkov

@ 2023-06-19 17:20   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2023-06-19 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Al Petrofsky, 64139

> M-v in the minibuffer is bound to switch-to-completions, so I'm unsure
> what you expected here.
>
> Adding Juri who worked on the scrolling commands in the minibuffer.

I worked only on the <down> key bound to next-line-or-history-element.

* bug#64139: 28.2; Scrolling problems in miniwindow
@ 2023-06-19 22:33     ` Al Petrofsky
From: Al Petrofsky @ 2023-06-19 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 64139, Juri Linkov

Here's a simpler and clearer recipe that should show the problem on
any tty or X display:

   emacs-28.2 -Q
   M-: C-u 9 9 C-q C-j x C-@ M-< C-v

This creates a 100-line minibuffer with "x" on the last line.  After
the M-< and C-v, we should be one windowful down from the top, but
instead we've scrolled nearly to the end and the "x" has shown up on
the last line.

* bug#64139: 28.2; Scrolling problems in miniwindow
@ 2023-06-21 15:01       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-06-21 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Petrofsky; +Cc: 64139, juri

> From: Al Petrofsky <al@petrofsky.org>
> Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 18:33:38 -0400
> Cc: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>, 64139@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> Here's a simpler and clearer recipe that should show the problem on
> any tty or X display:
>
>    emacs-28.2 -Q
>    M-: C-u 9 9 C-q C-j x C-@ M-< C-v
>
> This creates a 100-line minibuffer with "x" on the last line.  After
> the M-< and C-v, we should be one windowful down from the top, but
> instead we've scrolled nearly to the end and the "x" has shown up on
> the last line.

Thanks.

This is a feature: scrolling (and redisplay in general) in the
mini-window is tailored to try and display the most important part of
the minibuffer text.  The feature is intended to support various
minibuffer-editing packages which display a lot of text in the
mini-window when the user is prompted for a file name or other similar
stuff, of which there are a lot of possible candidates.

If you set the variable redisplay-adhoc-scroll-in-resize-mini-windows
to a nil value, you will get the "normal" scrolling behavior in the
mini-window.