all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Environment variables in eshell in emacs
@ 2019-10-22 14:40 Siddhesh Divekar
From: Siddhesh Divekar @ 2019-10-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am setting my environment variables using 'setenv "foo" "bar"' and
they are available for that session.

However they don't get written to any file similar to alias.

How do I make them persistent across emacs restart ?
What is the ideal way to achieve this?

--
-Siddhesh.

* Re: Environment variables in eshell in emacs
@ 2019-10-23 17:52 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2019-10-23 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Divekar; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Siddhesh Divekar (2019-10-22 07:40 -0700) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am setting my environment variables using 'setenv "foo" "bar"' and
> they are available for that session.
>
> However they don't get written to any file similar to alias.
>
> How do I make them persistent across emacs restart ?
> What is the ideal way to achieve this?

I don't know about the ideal way, but I would just put

  (setenv "foo" "bar")

in my emacs config file.

--
Alex

* Re: Environment variables in eshell in emacs
@ 2019-10-23 17:59   ` Siddhesh Divekar
From: Siddhesh Divekar @ 2019-10-23 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Alex.