all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* completion-styles with increasing level of matching
@ 2022-08-01 13:05 uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-08-01 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I am setting up `completion-styles'. Would like to have a system
where a user could switch values according to an increasing level
of matching. From least aggressive to most aggressive. What
would be the most useful transitions?

1. (setq completion-styles '(basic substring))

2. (setq completion-styles '(basic partial-completion))

3. (setq completion-styles '(flex))

4. (setq completion-styles '(initials))

Are `flex' and `initials' considered frequently useful? Which isthe most aggressive from the two?

* Re: completion-styles with increasing level of matching
@ 2022-08-01 13:33 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-08-01 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> Are `flex' and `initials' considered frequently useful?

Depends who you ask ...

> Which isthe most aggressive from the two?

Depends what property that is and how it is
measured/estimated ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: completion-styles with increasing level of matching
@ 2022-08-01 15:25   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-08-01 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

> uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
> > Are `flex' and` initials' considered frequently useful?
>

> Depends who you ask ...
>
> > Which isthe most aggressive from the two?
>

> Depends what property that is and how it is
> measured/estimated ...

`flex' attempts to complete using in-order substrings, so `foo' matches `frodo' or `fbarbazoo'.
Whereas `initials' complete acronyms and initialisms such that `lch' matches `list-command-history'.

They seem to do the same thing to me.  Any good insight what one can do but the other can't?

* Re: completion-styles with increasing level of matching
@ 2022-08-01 15:34     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-08-01 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

uzibalqa wrote:

> `flex' attempts to complete using in-order substrings, so
> `foo' matches `frodo' or `fbarbazoo'.
> Whereas `initials' complete acronyms and initialisms such that
> `lch' matches `list-command-history'.
>
> They seem to do the same thing to me. Any good insight what
> one can do but the other can't?

While I do rely on chemical, cognitive and physical speed the
physical part of that is typing so I'm the worst person to ask
actually ;)

--

@ 2022-08-01 21:38       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-08-01 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

fwiw i don't use completion-styles yet i think, but i use ido +
ido-hacks + ido-clever match.  ido [with flex] and i discover short
shorthands for e.g. org headers for refiling.  those need not be
initials.  and rarely would initials work for me.

i think if you use completion-styles, whether you need flex will
depend on whether you use more than initials.

[idk if fido or the new composable stuff will be able to emulate my
setup.  if it does then maybe it will use completion-styles.]

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com