all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* creating an afk timeline
@ 2023-12-19  4:17 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-12-19  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i often do something non-computer without marking when i started.

i'd like to know when i stopped using emacs, or linux, for a while, so
i can figure out when i likely started.  perhaps a timeline of
idleness, preferably in emacs, could help me guess when i started
doing non-computer.

this could help me guess when i rested, took a supplement, brushed
teeth, etc.  sometimes i need to know when 2h is up after i started.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: creating an afk timeline
@ 2023-12-20 20:16 ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-12-20 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> i often do something non-computer without marking when i started.
>
> i'd like to know when i stopped using emacs, or linux, for a while, so
> i can figure out when i likely started.  perhaps a timeline of
> idleness, preferably in emacs, could help me guess when i started
> doing non-computer.
>
> this could help me guess when i rested, took a supplement, brushed
> teeth, etc.  sometimes i need to know when 2h is up after i started.

1. In the ‘melpa-stable’ package repository, there is at least one
package called ‘activity-track-mode’ (Summary: Automatic time tracking
extension.) that sounds like it might be what you are looking for.  You
can install it via the ‘list-packages’ command *after* adding
("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/") to your
‘package-archives’ variable.  This is easily done with:

   M-x customize-variable [RET]
   Customize variable: package-archives

Then within the *Customize Option* buffer, click on the INS button and
fill in the Archive name with melpa-stable and the URL or directory name
with http://stable.melpa.org/packages/, and then click on the ‘Apply’ or
the ‘Apply and Save’ button.

2. Alternatively, you could install one of the several pomodoro
extensions.  Pomodoro is a timer tool (available in many forms outside
of Emacs) that turns on a timer (typically 20 or 25 minutes) that is
used for a period of focused work followed by a brief break (typically 5
minutes).  This is the time during which you get away from your keyboard
to get some movement, water, change your eyes focus, etc., and then
resume another focus period.  Again, using ‘list-packages’ and searching
for ‘pomodoro’ should bring you to one of the various extensions that
might be suitable.

* Re: creating an afk timeline
@ 2023-12-21  2:51   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2023-12-21  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:

>> i'd like to know when i stopped using emacs, or linux, for a while, so
>> i can figure out when i likely started.  perhaps a timeline of
>> idleness, preferably in emacs, could help me guess when i started
>> doing non-computer.
>>
>> this could help me guess when i rested, took a supplement, brushed
>> teeth, etc.  sometimes i need to know when 2h is up after i started.

This is an intriguing idea, and I think perhaps the ideas
discussed here can be made to do what you wish with a little
more hacking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/kda2lr/make_something_happen_when_i_return_from_idle/

It makes use of the Emacs idle timer and of course would only
measure idleness in Emacs (not Linux in general, if that's
what you're seeking).

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU-Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: creating an afk timeline
@ 2023-12-21  3:03     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2023-12-21  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell, help-gnu-emacs

orgmode would have a problem with it since duration times do not span
dates.  If afk from [2023-12-20 wed 22:58] as start time and [2023-12-21
Thu 04:00] as end time duration last time I checked would not return
05:02.
If that were fixed, orgmode could be used to log health events.

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.