all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs uses "global" compiler instead of embedded
@ 2022-09-28 20:22 Bartosz Bubak
From: Bartosz Bubak @ 2022-09-28 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I am just starting my adventure with emacs, and I have already encountered
a rather unusual problem. As a beginner, I chose the easier option and
installed everything from the package (emacs-28.2-installer.exe). After
starting the editor, it turned out that the logs contain a lot of warnings
(errors?) caused by using the wrong compiler. I mean, emacs uses the
"global" gcc (along with the libraries) which I have in the PATH
environment variable, instead of which it has in the embedded package (the
/bin subdirectory). Interestingly, I have libgccjit-0.dll in the global
directory, but it doesn't seem to work properly.

Warning (comp): c: /tools/emacs/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/org/org-entities.el:
Error: Internal native compiler error failed to compile
Warning (comp): C: \\ ProgramData \\ chocolatey \\ lib \\ mingw \\ tools \\
install \\ mingw64 \\ bin \\ libgccjit-0.dll: error: error invoking gcc
driver

Is it possible to somehow configure emacs to only use embedded libraries?

So far, the only workaround I have found is uninstalling the entire MinGW
or removing it from the system PATH. After MinGW is removed, everything
works fine as emacs and all the add-ons I downloaded.

P.S. Emacs 28.2 on Windows 11, as "global" mingw-64
--
Best regards
Bart Bubak