all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-10-26 14:09 Compro Prasad
       [not found] ` <E1e8BhX-0002Rm-S0@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Compro Prasad @ 2017-10-26 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The PDF readers like `evince` on GNOME have continuous scroll mode
which is favorable while reading stuff. But Emacs can't afford that
because of the buffer concept.

It would be great to have a mode which lets the user/package to utilize
an infinite buffer space where we can place text and images as we wish.

A restriction of adding stuff to the left might not be necessary because
of indentation but it may be an option too. After deactivating the mode
the extra space from top, bottom and the sides will be removed so that
we cannot add stuff to outer space just by magic.

https://github.com/politza/pdf-tools/issues/27
The above issue is just sitting there and Emacs has no option about it
as far as I can guess. If there is an option to solve the above issue
then it would be a pleasure to hear about it.

Abhishek(Compro) Prasad

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-10-26 14:39 ` Clément Pit-Claudel
       [not found] ` <E1e8BhX-0002Rm-S0@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2017-10-26 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2017-10-26 10:09, Compro Prasad wrote:
> The PDF readers like `evince` on GNOME have continuous scroll mode
> which is favorable while reading stuff. But Emacs can't afford that
> because of the buffer concept.
>
> It would be great to have a mode which lets the user/package to utilize
> an infinite buffer space where we can place text and images as we wish.

Can you elaborate? I don't understand the request.

> A restriction of adding stuff to the left might not be necessary because
> of indentation but it may be an option too. After deactivating the mode
> the extra space from top, bottom and the sides will be removed so that
> we cannot add stuff to outer space just by magic.

This doesn't make much sense to me

> https://github.com/politza/pdf-tools/issues/27
> The above issue is just sitting there and Emacs has no option about it
> as far as I can guess. If there is an option to solve the above issue
> then it would be a pleasure to hear about it.

I don't get how what you propose would help solve that issue, but it could be because I don't really understand what you're suggesting.

Someone suggested an appropriate solution in that thread as far as paging is concerned (keep a ring buffer of a few pages); the problem is scrolling halfway through a picture, AFAICT.

Clément.

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-10-26 16:01   ` Compro Prasad
From: Compro Prasad @ 2017-10-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit-Claudel; +Cc: emacs-devel

> as far as paging is concerned (keep a ring buffer of a few pages);
What is a ring buffer?
How is it different from a normal buffer?
How to use it?

@ 2017-11-01 13:47   ` Compro Prasad
From: Compro Prasad @ 2017-11-01 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms, emacs-devel

> What does "continuous scroll mode" mean?  I use Evince, but I can't
> figure out concretely what you have in mind.

In DocView mode in Emacs we just can't scroll out of a page to get to
either the next or the previous page. We have to use SPC / S-SPC for
the purpose which reprints the next / previous page from the TOP of the
buffer which is not the way Evince works. Evince displays the next page
from the bottom of the current page and the previous page before the
current page which is better for reading purposes.

How to solve this problem for Emacs?

So, I thought again. Actually we could display a set of pages(10-20) at a time
in DocView mode one below another. So, that the user could scroll
through the buffer just like Evince. And Pages would be added and removed
dynamically from the buffer because a document might be more than 20 pages.

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-11-02  5:07     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-11-02  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Compro Prasad; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > In DocView mode in Emacs we just can't scroll out of a page to get to
  > either the next or the previous page. We have to use SPC / S-SPC for
  > the purpose which reprints the next / previous page from the TOP of the
  > buffer

Now I understand.  I agree with you that scrolling between pages would
be nice.

However, I would like to have an easy way to move by pages, also.
Evince does not seem to offer that.
--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-11-02  8:46       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-11-02  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Compro Prasad, emacs-devel

On 2017-11-02, at 06:07, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>   > In DocView mode in Emacs we just can't scroll out of a page to get to
>   > either the next or the previous page. We have to use SPC / S-SPC for
>   > the purpose which reprints the next / previous page from the TOP of the
>   > buffer
>
> Now I understand.  I agree with you that scrolling between pages would
> be nice.

+100, this is one of the very few areas where Evince beats pdf-tools.

> However, I would like to have an easy way to move by pages, also.
> Evince does not seem to offer that.

Did you try `n'/`p'?  Just like in, you know, that obscure text editor,
called Emacs. ;-)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-11-02  9:57         ` Jose Arroyo
From: Jose Arroyo @ 2017-11-02  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Compro Prasad, rms, emacs-devel

On 2 November 2017 at 09:46, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

> On 2017-11-02, at 06:07, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > However, I would like to have an easy way to move by pages, also.
> > Evince does not seem to offer that.
>
> Did you try `n'/`p'?  Just like in, you know, that obscure text editor,
> called Emacs. ;-)

Obscure? I don't know what you mean, Emacs is _light_ :^)

Wordplay aside, I'd love to see this feature of scrolling between pages. It
would
make reading a programming pdf book and following along with the examples an
immersive Emacs experience for me (I'm way too used to this feature
elsewhere).

José

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-11-02 11:53           ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-11-02 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose Arroyo; +Cc: Compro Prasad, rms, emacs-devel

On 2017-11-02, at 10:57, Jose Arroyo <jose.m.arroyo.se@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 November 2017 at 09:46, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>

>> On 2017-11-02, at 06:07, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> > However, I would like to have an easy way to move by pages, also.
>> > Evince does not seem to offer that.
>>
>> Did you try `n'/`p'?  Just like in, you know, that obscure text editor,
>> called Emacs. ;-)
>>

> Obscure? I don't know what you mean, Emacs is _light_ :^)
>
> Wordplay aside, I'd love to see this feature of scrolling between pages. It
> would
> make reading a programming pdf book and following along with the examples an
> immersive Emacs experience for me (I'm way too used to this feature
> elsewhere).

Exactly.  Here a mathematician wanting to be able to follow a proof that
spans pages.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-11-02 12:17             ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2017-11-02 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Compro Prasad, Jose Arroyo, rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

>> Wordplay aside, I'd love to see this feature of scrolling between pages. It
>> would
>> make reading a programming pdf book and following along with the examples an
>> immersive Emacs experience for me (I'm way too used to this feature
>> elsewhere).
>
> Exactly.  Here a mathematician wanting to be able to follow a proof that
> spans pages.

Out of curiosity, what do you do when that proof is typeset in two or
more columns per page?

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-11-02 15:32               ` Compro Prasad
From: Compro Prasad @ 2017-11-02 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Jose Arroyo, rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what do you do when that proof is typeset in two or
> more columns per page?

If that is the case and the document is bigger than usual then I would prefer
a printed document instead of a digital one. Else it would also be great to
use high resolution displays to read a page at a time.

But it is a special case.

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-11-03  1:10         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-11-03  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: comproprasad, emacs-devel

  > Did you try `n'/`p'?  Just like in, you know, that obscure text editor,
  > called Emacs. ;-)

I never thought of that.  Thanks.
--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-11-15  5:18           ` Compro Prasad
From: Compro Prasad @ 2017-11-15  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel, Jose Arroyo, rms, Yuri Khan

Reminder:
Is it possible to get continuous scroll mode working or will it be
added in near future?

Or are you dropping this feature?

* Re: Feature request: Infinite scroll mode
@ 2017-11-15  7:03             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-11-15  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Compro Prasad, emacs-devel
  Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel, Jose Arroyo, rms, Yuri Khan

On November 15, 2017 7:18:26 AM GMT+02:00, Compro Prasad <comproprasad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reminder:
> Is it possible to get continuous scroll mode working or will it be
> added in near future?
>
> Or are you dropping this feature?

It's possible.  It just needs someone to volunteer to implement it.