all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#66325: `inherit-input-method`'s poor behavior
@ 2023-10-03 16:25 Ali AlipourR
From: Ali AlipourR @ 2023-10-03 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 66325

When you open a minibuffer with a non-nil inherit-input-method argument,
the minibuffer will inherit its -default- input method from the parent
buffer. This much is fine and desirable behavior.

However, with this option enabled, you can no longer change your input
method while editing inside the minibuffer. (i.e. using C-\ or
toggle-input-method)

This is poor behavior, since if you are someone who uses input methods
(i.e. uses emacs to write in languages other than English) you often want
to use multiple input methods while editing inside a minibuffer.
For example, to enter a mixed English-Chinese/Arabic/Persian/... text as a
search term etc.

Acceptable behavior would be if even with inherit-input-method enabled,
Emacs allowed changing the input method inside the minibuffer (And just
default to the input-method that it inherited from the parent buffer).

Optimal behavior would be if change of input-method inside a minibuffer
also changed the current input method of the parent buffer, so that when
you close the minibuffer and return to parent buffer, you have your last
selected input method that you used inside the minibuffer, selected and
ready to use inside the parent buffer.

Sorry if the technical terms used aren't 100% accurate, as I'm still an
Emacs newbie ...

Thanks,
Ali

* bug#66325: `inherit-input-method`'s poor behavior
@ 2023-10-03 17:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-03 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali AlipourR; +Cc: 66325

> From: Ali AlipourR <alipoor90@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:55:42 +0330
>
> When you open a minibuffer with a non-nil inherit-input-method argument, the minibuffer will inherit its
> -default- input method from the parent buffer. This much is fine and desirable behavior.
>
> However, with this option enabled, you can no longer change your input method while editing inside
> the minibuffer. (i.e. using C-\ or toggle-input-method)

C-\ (toggle-input-method) indeed toggles between the (inherited) input
method of the parent buffer and no input method, but you can select a
different input method by typing "C-u C-\", which will trhen prompt
for an input method.

> This is poor behavior, since if you are someone who uses input methods (i.e. uses emacs to write in
> languages other than English) you often want to use multiple input methods while editing inside a
> minibuffer.
> For example, to enter a mixed English-Chinese/Arabic/Persian/... text as a search term etc.

You should be able to switch to any input method by using "C-u C-\".
If it works for you, I see no bug here.

* bug#66325: `inherit-input-method`'s poor behavior
@ 2024-01-10 10:35   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2024-01-10 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 66325-done, Ali AlipourR

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Ali AlipourR <alipoor90@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:55:42 +0330
>>
>> When you open a minibuffer with a non-nil inherit-input-method argument, the minibuffer will inherit its
>> -default- input method from the parent buffer. This much is fine and desirable behavior.
>>
>> However, with this option enabled, you can no longer change your input method while editing inside
>> the minibuffer. (i.e. using C-\ or toggle-input-method)
>
> C-\ (toggle-input-method) indeed toggles between the (inherited) input
> method of the parent buffer and no input method, but you can select a
> different input method by typing "C-u C-\", which will trhen prompt
> for an input method.
>
>> This is poor behavior, since if you are someone who uses input methods (i.e. uses emacs to write in
>> languages other than English) you often want to use multiple input methods while editing inside a
>> minibuffer.
>> For example, to enter a mixed English-Chinese/Arabic/Persian/... text as a search term etc.
>
> You should be able to switch to any input method by using "C-u C-\".
> If it works for you, I see no bug here.

No further comments here within 3 months, so I'm assuming that fixed it.
I'm therefore closing this bug report.

If this conclusion is incorrect and this is still an issue, please reply
to this email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can
reopen the bug report.