all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#66946: 30.0.50; Elisp manual section 17.4 describes an obsolete variable
@ 2023-11-05  9:37 Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-11-05  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 66946

Hi,

In Elisp manual, "17.4 Dynamic Loading of Individual Functions"
describes `byte-compile-dynamic' variable.

However, according to the docstring, this variable is no longer useful

    byte-compile-dynamic is a variable defined in bytecomp.el.

    This variable is obsolete since 27.1; not worthwhile any more.

    Value
    nil

It looks like the corresponding section of the manual is now obsolete
and should probably be removed.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 30, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2023-10-28 built on localhost
Repository revision: b38c7d6e64423120ae1f1bc3ed01dce88c77b75e
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101009
System Description: Gentoo Linux

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* bug#66946: 30.0.50; Elisp manual section 17.4 describes an obsolete variable
@ 2023-11-05 14:23 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-11-05 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko, 66946; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

> In Elisp manual, "17.4 Dynamic Loading of Individual Functions"
> describes `byte-compile-dynamic' variable.
>
> However, according to the docstring, this variable is no longer useful
>
>     byte-compile-dynamic is a variable defined in bytecomp.el.
>
>     This variable is obsolete since 27.1; not worthwhile any more.
>
>     Value
>     nil
>
> It looks like the corresponding section of the manual is now obsolete
> and should probably be removed.

The manual says:

       _Experience shows that using dynamic function loading provides
    benefits that are hardly measurable, so this feature is deprecated
    since Emacs 27.1._

Stefan M, any comments here?  Is it time to actually mark this stuff
obsolete?

* bug#66946: 30.0.50; Elisp manual section 17.4 describes an obsolete variable
@ 2023-11-05 23:24   ` Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-11-05 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: 66946, Ihor Radchenko

>> In Elisp manual, "17.4 Dynamic Loading of Individual Functions"
>> describes `byte-compile-dynamic' variable.
>>
>> However, according to the docstring, this variable is no longer useful
>>
>>     byte-compile-dynamic is a variable defined in bytecomp.el.
>>
>>     This variable is obsolete since 27.1; not worthwhile any more.
>>
>>     Value
>>     nil
>>
>> It looks like the corresponding section of the manual is now obsolete
>> and should probably be removed.
>
> The manual says:
>
>        _Experience shows that using dynamic function loading provides
>     benefits that are hardly measurable, so this feature is deprecated
>     since Emacs 27.1._
>
> Stefan M, any comments here?

Nothing specific, no.

> Is it time to actually mark this stuff obsolete?

Hmm... isn't it marked obsolete already?
Or did you mean to ask if it's time to throw away the corresponding code?

* bug#66946: 30.0.50; Elisp manual section 17.4 describes an obsolete variable
@ 2023-11-06  0:21     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-11-06  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 66946, Ihor Radchenko

>> The manual says:
>>
>>        _Experience shows that using dynamic function loading provides
>>     benefits that are hardly measurable, so this feature is deprecated
>>     since Emacs 27.1._
>>
>> Stefan M, any comments here?
>
> Nothing specific, no.
>
>> Is it time to actually mark this stuff obsolete?
>
> Hmm... isn't it marked obsolete already?
> Or did you mean to ask if it's time to throw away the corresponding code?

You're right.  Not sure how I missed that...

I guess then the only question is if it's worth keeping it in the manual.

* bug#66946: 30.0.50; Elisp manual section 17.4 describes an obsolete variable
@ 2024-01-11 21:52       ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2024-01-11 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 66946, Ihor Radchenko

>>> The manual says:
>>>
>>>        _Experience shows that using dynamic function loading provides
>>>     benefits that are hardly measurable, so this feature is deprecated
>>>     since Emacs 27.1._
>>>
>>> Stefan M, any comments here?
>>
>> Nothing specific, no.
>>
>>> Is it time to actually mark this stuff obsolete?
>>
>> Hmm... isn't it marked obsolete already?
>> Or did you mean to ask if it's time to throw away the corresponding code?
>
> You're right.  Not sure how I missed that...

Taking another look at this.

Why not throw away the code if it's hardly measurable?  We could make it
a no-op in Emacs 30.1, and then just remove it from the manual.  It's
already been obsolete for three major versions by then.