all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Question about weird vscroll behavior
@ 2023-11-05 15:49 dalanicolai
From: dalanicolai @ 2023-11-05 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I am experiencing some weird behavior. I am simply trying to set the
vscroll. For that I first created a single overlay displaying a large
space and then use set-window-vscroll to set the vscroll.

It works when I simply load my Emacs configuration, but for some
reason it does not work when I start from emacs -Q.

Although I guess vscroll should be working on lines smaller than the
screen, just for testing I now display 3 'spaces' and then try to set
vscroll as follows:

(progn
>   (pop-to-buffer "example")
>   (dotimes (i 3)
>     (let ((o (make-overlay (point)
>                            (progn (insert " ")
>                                   (point)))))
>       (insert "\n")
>       (overlay-put o 'display `(space . (:width (600) :height (800))))
>       (overlay-put o 'face (list :background (pcase (% i 3)
>                                                (0 "red")
>                                                (1 "green")
>                                                (2 "blue"))))))
>   (goto-char (point-min))
>
>   (set-window-vscroll nil 300 t))

I have tested it on Emacs 29.1 and 28.3.

I wonder if this is a bug, or if I am missing something.  Could you
please evaluate the above code starting from emacs -Q, and confirm
this is a bug (or tell me what I am missing)?

Thanks

* Re: Question about weird vscroll behavior
@ 2023-11-05 16:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-11-05 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalanicolai; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 16:49:04 +0100
>
> It works when I simply load my Emacs configuration, but for some
> reason it does not work when I start from emacs -Q.
>
> Although I guess vscroll should be working on lines smaller than the
> screen, just for testing I now display 3 'spaces' and then try to set
> vscroll as follows:
>
>  (progn
>    (pop-to-buffer "example")
>    (dotimes (i 3)
>      (let ((o (make-overlay (point)
>                             (progn (insert " ")
>                                    (point)))))
>        (insert "\n")
>        (overlay-put o 'display `(space . (:width (600) :height (800))))
>        (overlay-put o 'face (list :background (pcase (% i 3)
>                                                 (0 "red")
>                                                 (1 "green")
>                                                 (2 "blue"))))))
>    (goto-char (point-min))
>
>    (set-window-vscroll nil 300 t))
>
> I have tested it on Emacs 29.1 and 28.3.
>
> I wonder if this is a bug, or if I am missing something.  Could you
> please evaluate the above code starting from emacs -Q, and confirm
> this is a bug (or tell me what I am missing)?

Works for me in "emacs -Q".

* Re: Question about weird vscroll behavior
@ 2023-11-05 16:36   ` dalanicolai
From: dalanicolai @ 2023-11-05 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thank you Eli,

I just realized I forgot to be clear about my question.
The problem is that after evaluating the code, here,
after starting from emacs -Q, the vscroll value is still
zero.

So I was wondering what is the value when doing

> M-: (window-vscroll nil t)

after evaluating the example code.

So Eli, when you say it works, do you mean that
vscroll value is 300?

Thanks again...

@ 2023-11-05 17:01     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-11-05 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalanicolai; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 17:36:26 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I just realized I forgot to be clear about my question.
> The problem is that after evaluating the code, here,
> after starting from emacs -Q, the vscroll value is still
> zero.
>
> So I was wondering what is the value when doing
>
>  M-: (window-vscroll nil t)
>
> after evaluating the example code.
>
> So Eli, when you say it works, do you mean that
> vscroll value is 300?

Of course!  How else could I have claimed that "it works"?

* Re: Question about weird vscroll behavior
@ 2023-11-05 18:14       ` dalanicolai
From: dalanicolai @ 2023-11-05 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Haha, okay Eli. It was just to be sure, because otherwise I have
no idea why setting the vscroll using the above code, does not
work here.

I have tried with the Fedora system Emacs 28.3, and with my own
build of Emacs 29.1 (with PGTK, but I guess that is the default now
on Emacs 29). Also, I have tried on wayland and x-org. But the code
does not set the vscroll when starting from emacs -Q, while, strangely
it works when I load my configuration.

Anyway, I guess I have to investigate some more then.

Thanks a lot for checking!

@ 2023-11-05 20:17         ` dalanicolai
From: dalanicolai @ 2023-11-05 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Hi all,

If there is anybody on Fedora here, could you please try to evaluate the
code
from the original message starting from emacs -Q, and afterwards check what
is the value of

M-: (window-vscroll nil t)

Do you get 0 or 300?

For some reason this does not work here. I have just built emacs from `HEAD`
without using any `configure` flags. It does not work here, neither on
emacs 28.3, 29.1 or on the latest 30.5.

I have also tried on Ubuntu on another laptop, where the code works fine.
Would be great if possible.

Thanks!

@ 2023-11-10 18:51           ` dalanicolai
From: dalanicolai @ 2023-11-10 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I have discovered that the behavior seems to occur on all systems, but
that I forgot to mention another single step, which is that I am
maximizing the Emacs window first, using the GNOME desktop shortcut
(Super + Arrow Up). However, the behavior is the same (i.e. vscroll
does not get set) when using 'M-x toggle-frame-maximized' before
trying the code snippet.

Now, the docstring of 'set-window-vscroll' says:

'PRESERVE-VSCROLL-P makes setting the start of WINDOW preserve the
vscroll if its start is "frozen" due to a resized mini-window.'

I don't really understand what that sentence means, so I am now still
wondering if this behavior could be considered a bug or not.

Should I report this as a bug?

Thanks

@ 2023-11-10 19:49             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-11-10 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalanicolai; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 19:51:44 +0100
>
> Now, the docstring of 'set-window-vscroll' says:
>
> 'PRESERVE-VSCROLL-P makes setting the start of WINDOW preserve the
> vscroll if its start is "frozen" due to a resized mini-window.'
>
> I don't really understand what that sentence means

It talks about resizing the mini-window, the window at the bottom of
the frame where Emacs shows the echo-area and the minibuffer.  So this
is unrelated to maximizing the Emacs frame.

> so I am now still
> wondering if this behavior could be considered a bug or not.
>
> Should I report this as a bug?

I don't know.  In general, window-vscroll gets reset in many
situations, so what you see is most probably not a bug.