all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Rust in Emacs (was: Re: A new collaborative editing package (maybe tangent))
@ 2024-01-08  6:24 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-01-08  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers; +Cc: Richard Stallman

rms writes:

>>And which methods are already well-supported in Rust?
>
>Please do not assume we will or should use Rust.
>The trademark license of Rust raises a complex issue of its own.

Which makes me wonder what the situation is with libraries used by Emacs
which are written in Rust.

One would be rsvg-2, which is difficult to compile from source in some systems…
would there be any pure-C alternative?

Thanks for any info,
/PA

* Re: Rust in Emacs
@ 2024-01-08  7:55 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-01-08  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: Emacs developers, Richard Stallman

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> Which makes me wonder what the situation is with libraries used by Emacs
> which are written in Rust.
>
> One would be rsvg-2, which is difficult to compile from source in some systems…
> would there be any pure-C alternative?

Older versions of librsvg are written in C, which versions Emacs
continues to support.

* Re: Rust in Emacs
@ 2024-01-08  8:44   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2024-01-08  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Emacs developers, Richard Stallman

> El 8 ene 2024, a las 8:55, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> escribió:
>
> Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Which makes me wonder what the situation is with libraries used by Emacs
>> which are written in Rust.
>>
>> One would be rsvg-2, which is difficult to compile from source in some systems…
>> would there be any pure-C alternative?
>
> Older versions of librsvg are written in C, which versions Emacs
> continues to support.

Thanks for the info.