all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Warning (bytecomp): reference to free variable ‘inherit’
@ 2022-10-14  4:02 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2022-10-14  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Anybody seen this recently?

My system:

"GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
 bars) of 2021-03-27, modified by Debian"

Just did an auto-package-update and started having this message in the
*Compile-Log* buffer.  It's a warning, but the buffer pop to the front
at the end of my Emacs startup and I'd like to fix that.  The problem is
that the message isn't giving me a clue on what was being byte compiled.

Any hints?

--
David Masterson

* Re: Warning (bytecomp): reference to free variable ‘inherit’
@ 2022-10-14 21:01 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-14 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson wrote:

> It's a warning, but the buffer pop to the front at the end
> of my Emacs startup and I'd like to fix that. The problem is
> that the message isn't giving me a clue on what was being
> byte compiled.

Okey, but why are there byte-compilation at all?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Warning (bytecomp): reference to free variable ‘inherit’
@ 2022-10-16 18:53   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2022-10-16 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> David Masterson wrote:
>
>> It's a warning, but the buffer pop to the front at the end
>> of my Emacs startup and I'd like to fix that. The problem is
>> that the message isn't giving me a clue on what was being
>> byte compiled.
>
> Okey, but why are there byte-compilation at all?

You got me.  I don't see a way to trace it.  Is it possible to hook into
byte-compile and have it print out what file it is working on?

--

@ 2022-10-17  4:15     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-17  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson wrote:

>>> It's a warning, but the buffer pop to the front at the end
>>> of my Emacs startup and I'd like to fix that. The problem
>>> is that the message isn't giving me a clue on what was
>>> being byte compiled.
>>
>> Okey, but why are there byte-compilation at all?
>
> You got me. I don't see a way to trace it. Is it possible to
> hook into byte-compile and have it print out what file it is
> working on?

Wait, the new warning pop-up buffer, I also had that, it was
related to Tramp but that same warning exactly, and it
disappeared when I upgraded Emacs.

I have no idea what that is but maybe it isn't that byte
compilation really occurs on startup, maybe it's just some new
way of telling us stuff that we haven't been ... told about.

--

@ 2022-10-18  4:14       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2022-10-18  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Okey, but why are there byte-compilation at all?
>>
>> You got me. I don't see a way to trace it. Is it possible to
>> hook into byte-compile and have it print out what file it is
>> working on?
>
> Wait, the new warning pop-up buffer, I also had that, it was
> related to Tramp but that same warning exactly, and it
> disappeared when I upgraded Emacs.
>
> I have no idea what that is but maybe it isn't that byte
> compilation really occurs on startup, maybe it's just some new
> way of telling us stuff that we haven't been ... told about.

Hmm.  I'll look into an upgrade.

--
David Masterson