all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-06 17:03 Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2021-08-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do I change the font and size when I run emacs in a terminal i.e
emacs-nox?  I'm running emacs-27.2 in wsl and for the GUI emacs I can
configure the font like so

;; GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
;; cairo version 1.16.0) of 2021-08-06

(message "setting font type and size")
 (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist
                       '(font . "Cascadia Mono-13"))
;;(set-frame-font "-outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-r-normal-normal-*-*-130-130-c-*-iso8859-1")
;;(set-frame-font "-outline-Cascadia Mono-normal-normal-normal-mono-17-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1")

this same init file when read by emacs-nox doesn't seem to apply the
font.  C-u C-x = in terminal emacs doesn't show the font type.  The
manual section doesn't mention anything about terminal based emacs and
addresses 4 methods for the GUI emacs only.

sivaram

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-06 17:06 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-08-06 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 10:33:29PM +0530, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> How do I change the font and size when I run emacs in a terminal i.e
> emacs-nox?  I'm running emacs-27.2 in wsl and for the GUI emacs I can
> configure the font like so

I think you have to set the terminal's font for that. As far as I know,
Emacs has no way to change the terminal's font.

Cheers
 - t

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-06 19:29   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-08-06 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    > On Fri, Aug 06, 2021 at 10:33:29PM +0530, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
    >> How do I change the font and size when I run emacs in a terminal
    >> i.e emacs-nox?  I'm running emacs-27.2 in wsl and for the GUI
    >> emacs I can configure the font like so

    > I think you have to set the terminal's font for that. As far as I
    > know, Emacs has no way to change the terminal's font.

If you are using xterm then set the font in ~/.Xdefaults and/or
~/.Xresources. For example, I have

! Set font and size:
XTerm*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono Book
!XTerm*faceName: Monospace
XTerm*faceSize: 10

For other settings, search the Internet for .Xdefaults .Xresources. The
particular file depends on the Linux flavor. I have both files
identical.

Hope this helps.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-07  4:16     ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2021-08-07  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Aug 06 2021,Colin Baxter wrote:

[snipped 10 lines]

> If you are using xterm then set the font in ~/.Xdefaults and/or
> ~/.Xresources. For example, I have
>
> ! Set font and size:
> XTerm*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono Book
> !XTerm*faceName: Monospace
> XTerm*faceSize: 10
>
> For other settings, search the Internet for .Xdefaults .Xresources. The
> particular file depends on the Linux flavor. I have both files
> identical.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks, I did have that and it seems to have no effect;  Been trying
various stuff and at this point if I can get the emacs terminal font
at 12pt or above I'd be happy. :-)

$ xrdb -query|grep emacs
emacs*Background:       DarkSlateGray
emacs*Foreground:       Wheat
emacs*bitmapIcon:       on
emacs*cursorColor:      Orchid
emacs*pointerColor:     Orchid
emacs.font:     DejaVu Sans Mono-12

$ xrdb -query|grep face
UXTerm*faceName:        Cascadia Mono
UXTerm*faceSize:        12
XTerm*faceName: Cascadia Mono
XTerm*faceSize: 12
uxterm*faceSize1:       8
uxterm*faceSize2:       8
uxterm*faceSize3:       9
uxterm*faceSize4:       12
uxterm*faceSize5:       14
xterm*faceSize1:        8
xterm*faceSize2:        8
xterm*faceSize3:        9
xterm*faceSize4:        12
xterm*faceSize5:        14

$ xrdb -query|grep font
URxvt*font:     xft:DejaVuSansMono:medium:size=10
UXTerm.vt100.translations:      #override \nCtrl <Key> minus: smaller-vt-font() \nCtrl <Key> plus: larger-vt-font() \nCtrl <Key> 0: set-vt-font(d) \nCtrl Shift <Key>B: scroll-back(1, halfpage) \nCtrl Shift <Key>F: scroll-forw(1, halfpage) \nCtrl Shift <Key>C: copy-selection(CLIPBOARD) \nCtrl Shift <Key>V: insert-selection(CLIPBOARD) \nCtrl Shift <Key>H: set-altscreen(toggle) \nCtrl <Key>T: spawn-new-terminal()

@ 2021-08-07 11:28       ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-08-07 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    > On Fri, Aug 06 2021,Colin Baxter wrote:
    > [snipped 10 lines]

    >> If you are using xterm then set the font in ~/.Xdefaults and/or
    >> ~/.Xresources. For example, I have
    >>
    >> ! Set font and size: XTerm*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono Book
    >> !XTerm*faceName: Monospace XTerm*faceSize: 10
    >>
    >> For other settings, search the Internet for .Xdefaults
    >> .Xresources. The particular file depends on the Linux flavor. I
    >> have both files identical.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>

    > Thanks, I did have that and it seems to have no effect; Been
    > trying various stuff and at this point if I can get the emacs
    > terminal font at 12pt or above I'd be happy. :-)

    > $ xrdb -query|grep emacs emacs*Background: DarkSlateGray
    > emacs*Foreground: Wheat emacs*bitmapIcon: on emacs*cursorColor:
    > Orchid emacs*pointerColor: Orchid emacs.font: DejaVu Sans Mono-12

Using your settings

XTerm*faceName: Cascadia Mono
XTerm*faceSize: 12

in my ~/.Xdefaults, I can get launch "emacs -nw" in an xterm with size
12 font.

I notice that you also have "emacs.font: DejaVu Sans Mono-12" in your
~/.Xdefaults. I wonder if this is interfering when you run emacs in a
terminal? Have your tried commenting out "emacs.font: DejaVu Sans
Mono-12"? Also you seem to be using emacs -nox, have you tried emacs -nw
instead? It may be the latter will work without commenting out the
reference to the emacs font. Try both.

Best wishes,

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-07 12:08         ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2021-08-07 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: Sivaram Neelakantan, help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 at 18:29, Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> wrote:

> Using your settings
>
> XTerm*faceName: Cascadia Mono
> XTerm*faceSize: 12
>
> in my ~/.Xdefaults, I can get launch "emacs -nw" in an xterm with size
> 12 font.

So far, we have not seen any indication that Sivaram is using Xterm.
On the contrary, since WSL was mentioned, there is a high probability
of the Windows terminal.

@Sivaram In any case, you should find out which terminal emulator you
are using, and then how to customize the fonts it uses. Neither Emacs
nor any other terminal-based application has any say over that.

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-07 13:14           ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-08-07 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Sivaram Neelakantan, help-gnu-emacs

Hello Yuri

    > On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 at 18:29, Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> wrote:
    >> Using your settings
    >>
    >> XTerm*faceName: Cascadia Mono XTerm*faceSize: 12
    >>
    >> in my ~/.Xdefaults, I can get launch "emacs -nw" in an xterm with
    >> size 12 font.

    > So far, we have not seen any indication that Sivaram is using
    > Xterm.  On the contrary, since WSL was mentioned, there is a high
    > probability of the Windows terminal.

    > @Sivaram In any case, you should find out which terminal emulator
    > you are using, and then how to customize the fonts it
    > uses. Neither Emacs nor any other terminal-based application has
    > any say over that.

Ok, but I got the impression that Sivaram was using a .Xdefaults file.

Best wishes,

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-07 16:00       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-07 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

>> For other settings, search the Internet for .Xdefaults
>> .Xresources. The particular file depends on the Linux
>> flavor. I have both files identical.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks, I did have that and it seems to have no effect

It works, I yank my ~/.Xresources below, then put
'xrdb ~/.Xresources' in .xinitrc, I yank that as well.

! this file:
!   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.Xresources
!   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.Xresources

! xterm
xterm*cursorBlink:     false
xterm*faceName:        DejaVu Sans Mono Bold:pixelsize=15
xterm*metaSendsEscape: true

! colors (bl re gr ye bl ma cy wh)
! normal
xterm*color0:          #000000
xterm*color1:          #ff3232
xterm*color2:          #009600
xterm*color3:          #bebe00
xterm*color4:          #6464ff
xterm*color5:          #af6400
xterm*color6:          #00b4b4
xterm*color7:          #969696

! bright/bold
xterm*color8:          #5a5a5a
xterm*color9:          #ff4b4b
xterm*color10:         #00b400
xterm*color11:         #ff7f00
xterm*color12:         #7d7dff
xterm*color13:         #eb4beb
xterm*color14:         #5affff
xterm*color15:         #d2b48c

! fore-/background
xterm*foreground:      #dddddd
xterm*background:      #000000

! cursor
xterm*cursorcolor:     #000000

# this file:
#   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.xinitrc
#   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.xinitrc

# looks
xrdb ~/.Xresources
xset -b

# keyboard
setxkbmap -option caps:none
xmodmap -e 'keycode 66=a'

# pointer
xdotool mousemove 0 416
unclutter -idle 0 &

# compositor
picom &

# window manager
openbsd-cwm &

# xterm/tmux
xterm           \
    -T "xterm"  \
    -fullscreen \
    -e 'tmux new-session\; split-window -v\; select-pane -U'

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-07 16:05         ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2021-08-07 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Aug 07 2021,Colin Baxter wrote:

[snipped 28 lines]

> XTerm*faceName: Cascadia Mono
> XTerm*faceSize: 12
>
> in my ~/.Xdefaults, I can get launch "emacs -nw" in an xterm with size
> 12 font.
>
> I notice that you also have "emacs.font: DejaVu Sans Mono-12" in your
> ~/.Xdefaults. I wonder if this is interfering when you run emacs in a
> terminal? Have your tried commenting out "emacs.font: DejaVu Sans
> Mono-12"? Also you seem to be using emacs -nox, have you tried emacs -nw
> instead? It may be the latter will work without commenting out the
> reference to the emacs font. Try both.

After a series of uncoordinated addled testing, I think I sussed out
the following settings.

Removed font stuff from emacs.xresources and kept only the Xterm font spec
Tested in xterm and confirmed that it works
it works for both Emacs-nox and Emacs -nw(what's the difference?)

So, thanks for that.

I omitted to mention that I run WSL Ubuntu 20.04 with GWSL(X server)
and use MS terminal as the initial terminal.  MS terminal has its own
setting for font and size which seem to be overriding whatever I was
doing with the unrelated .Xresources tinkering. Rather, MS terminal
was not readiing anything that I was doing to the .X resource files.
Only when I launch xterm from within MS terminal was it being read.
Coupled with the fact, sometimes I forget to do `xrdb -load`, I was
getting inconsistent results (hence addled).

It took a combination of @Colin's and @Yuri's messages to clear things
up.

Many thanks to both.

@ 2021-08-07 16:10           ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2021-08-07 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Aug 07 2021,Yuri Khan wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 at 18:29, Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> wrote:

[snipped 8 lines]

> So far, we have not seen any indication that Sivaram is using Xterm.
> On the contrary, since WSL was mentioned, there is a high probability
> of the Windows terminal.

Yes and No!  I use windows terminal and it didn't work in it; when I
launch xterm and then tried it, it worked.  See earlier post in thread.

> @Sivaram In any case, you should find out which terminal emulator you
> are using, and then how to customize the fonts it uses. Neither Emacs
> nor any other terminal-based application has any say over that.

Correct.  I was trying out changes to .xresources in Windows terminal
which does not read it all.  Once I launch xterm, it did.  I didn't
work out the right sequence of issues being seen.  Your point about
the terminal cleared it up for me.

@ 2021-08-07 16:12             ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2021-08-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Aug 07 2021,Colin Baxter wrote:

[snipped 20 lines]

> Ok, but I got the impression that Sivaram was using a .Xdefaults file.

Yes and was expecting MS terminal to read it.  It doesn't (obviously)
and xterm does, which was driving me batty.

@ 2021-08-07 16:15         ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2021-08-07 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Aug 07 2021,Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
>
>>> For other settings, search the Internet for .Xdefaults
>>> .Xresources. The particular file depends on the Linux
>>> flavor. I have both files identical.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Thanks, I did have that and it seems to have no effect
>
> It works, I yank my ~/.Xresources below, then put
> 'xrdb ~/.Xresources' in .xinitrc, I yank that as well.

Yes, I think I figured out the issue.  And thanks for the config
files, it is useful.

[snipped 65 lines]

@ 2021-08-07 16:24           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-07 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

>> It works, I yank my ~/.Xresources below, then put 'xrdb
>> ~/.Xresources' in .xinitrc, I yank that as well.
>
> Yes, I think I figured out the issue. And thanks for the
> config files, it is useful.

np :)

--

@ 2021-08-08 11:33             ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-08-08 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    > On Sat, Aug 07 2021,Yuri Khan wrote:
    >> On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 at 18:29, Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> wrote:
    >>

    > [snipped 8 lines]

    >> So far, we have not seen any indication that Sivaram is using
    >> Xterm.  On the contrary, since WSL was mentioned, there is a high
    >> probability of the Windows terminal.

    > Yes and No!  I use windows terminal and it didn't work in it; when
    > I launch xterm and then tried it, it worked.  See earlier post in
    > thread.

    >> @Sivaram In any case, you should find out which terminal emulator
    >> you are using, and then how to customize the fonts it
    >> uses. Neither Emacs nor any other terminal-based application has
    >> any say over that.

    > Correct.  I was trying out changes to .xresources in Windows
    > terminal which does not read it all.  Once I launch xterm, it did.
    > I didn't work out the right sequence of issues being seen.  Your
    > point about the terminal cleared it up for me.

    > sivaram --

Great that the problem is cleared up.

Best wishes,

Colin.

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-09 13:50 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2021-08-09 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/6/2021 1:03 PM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> How do I change the font and size when I run emacs in a terminal i.e
> emacs-nox?  I'm running emacs-27.2 in wsl and for the GUI emacs I can
> configure the font like so

A bit off topic, but ...

I use WSL, and I run the MATE window manager.  I can use GUI emacs
as well as any other GUI.

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-09 16:02   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-08-09 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman wrote:

>> How do I change the font and size when I run emacs in
>> a terminal i.e emacs-nox? I'm running emacs-27.2 in wsl and
>> for the GUI emacs I can configure the font like so
>
> A bit off topic, but ...
>
> I use WSL, and I run the MATE window manager. I can use GUI
> emacs as well as any other GUI.

I use the Linux VT for Emacs but rumors has it I can run
emacs-nox in xterm but also launch the the GUI Emacs _from_
xterm ...

--

@ 2021-08-11 13:27     ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2021-08-11 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/9/2021 12:02 PM, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> I use the Linux VT for Emacs but rumors has it I can run
> emacs-nox in xterm but also launch the the GUI Emacs_from_
> xterm ...

I can run GUI emacs from a Linux terminal command prompt in WSL.

* Re: changing font and font size in terminal emacs-27.2
@ 2021-08-11 14:42   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2021-08-11 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Aug 09 2021,Ken Goldman wrote:

> On 8/6/2021 1:03 PM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
>> How do I change the font and size when I run emacs in a terminal i.e
>> emacs-nox?  I'm running emacs-27.2 in wsl and for the GUI emacs I can
>> configure the font like so
>
> A bit off topic, but ...
>
> I use WSL, and I run the MATE window manager.  I can use GUI emacs
> as well as any other GUI.

True that.  And I did mention that I could configure the GUI Emacs
version but having issues with terminal emacs.

What I was looking for, was the means to change various emacs -nw,
Emacs-nox parameters in just the terminal.  And still looking for a
theme or a set of fonts/faces that would just assume 16 bit colour and
give a decent terminal interface emacs a bit of colour/fonts/faces.

I've pretty much given up on .X* configuration changes and decided to
look for configuration options in 1 place i.e .emacs

For GUI, I've gotten it down to

(when (window-system) ;; looks like this is deprecated
   (setq default-frame-alist
         '((top . 24) (left . 1) (width . 172) (height . 38)
           (background-color . "DarkSlateGray")
	       (foreground-color . "Wheat")
           (cursor-color . "Red")
	       (horizontal-scroll-bars . nil)
	       (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
           (font . "-outline-Cascadia Mono-normal-normal-normal-mono-17-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1")
         ))
   (setq initial-frame-alist
         '((top . 24) (left . 1) (width . 172) (height . 38)))
   (set-frame-font "-outline-Cascadia
   Mono-normal-normal-normal-mono-17-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1"))

And now want to set terminal Emacs along similar lines.

sivaram