all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* org-babel: complete control over org-babel-execute-src-block behavior
@ 2024-04-18 16:35 Justin Veilleux
From: Justin Veilleux @ 2024-04-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi. I'm currently trying to write a org-babel-julia backend and I am
having problems. The way I wanted it to work is by executing the code,
and then inserting the results block manually using
`org-babel-insert-result`. I would have passed either :output or a mime
type (such as application/org) to the julia function and received
correctly formatted (with the format function extendable from the julia
side) text.

However, as I understand it, the result of the org-babel-execute:julia
function will be modified by the org babel infrastructure (with regards
to the src block params).

Is there a way to bypass this so that I can offload the data
transformation as much as possible to the julia side?

Thanks.

* Re: org-babel: complete control over org-babel-execute-src-block behavior
@ 2024-04-26 13:27 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-04-26 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Veilleux; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Justin Veilleux <terramorpha@cock.li> writes:

> Hi. I'm currently trying to write a org-babel-julia backend and I am
> having problems. The way I wanted it to work is by executing the code,
> and then inserting the results block manually using
> `org-babel-insert-result`. I would have passed either :output or a mime
> type (such as application/org) to the julia function and received
> correctly formatted (with the format function extendable from the julia
> side) text.
>
> However, as I understand it, the result of the org-babel-execute:julia
> function will be modified by the org babel infrastructure (with regards
> to the src block params).
>
> Is there a way to bypass this so that I can offload the data
> transformation as much as possible to the julia side?

I strongly discourage you from doing such thing.
There is a reason Org babel wants the output to be in Elisp form, not in
the final Org mode form - `org-babel-execute-src-block' takes care about
processing various user customizations, like :file and :post header
arguments; and respecting user choices about result type.

If you want to generate Org mode markup as the output of your babel
backend, you can simply set the default result type to raw in
org-babel-default-header-args:julia. Then, if your
org-babel-execute:julia returns a string containing Org markup, it will
be interpreted as Org, unless the user explicitly chooses otherwise.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,