all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#10712: $MANPATH is ignored by man.el
@ 2012-02-03 15:17 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2012-02-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 10712

When prompting for a man page, man.el doesn't offer completions for all
the names that it indeed can successfully find.

E.g., though
(man "Algorithm::GooglePolylineEncoding")
works fine,
you won't get any help typing it in using TAB completion.

That's because $MANPATH is ignored by man.el.

* bug#10712: $MANPATH is ignored by man.el
@ 2012-02-03 21:09 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-02-03 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 10712

jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> That's because $MANPATH is ignored by man.el.

It uses man -k (aka apropos). Presumably your MANPATH includes things
that are not in your system's apropos database.

* bug#10712: $MANPATH is ignored by man.el
@ 2012-02-03 21:19   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-02-03 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 10712

Glenn Morris wrote:

> It uses man -k (aka apropos).

bash_completion, on the other hand, does stat directories from
`man --path', and it's always seemed fast enough to me.

* bug#10712: $MANPATH is ignored by man.el
@ 2012-02-06 13:36     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-02-06 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 10712

>> It uses man -k (aka apropos).
> bash_completion, on the other hand, does stat directories from
> `man --path', and it's always seemed fast enough to me.

There's no particularly strong reason why we use "man -k" other than
"that's what I started with".  So if you want to change that (after
24.1), that's fine, tho I think it's important to make sure it still
works on macosx.

* bug#10712: $MANPATH is ignored by man.el
@ 2020-08-07 10:22 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-08-07 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: 10712

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> When prompting for a man page, man.el doesn't offer completions for all
> the names that it indeed can successfully find.
>
> E.g., though
> (man "Algorithm::GooglePolylineEncoding")
> works fine,
> you won't get any help typing it in using TAB completion.
>
> That's because $MANPATH is ignored by man.el.

This was reported eight years ago, but when I try, say, `M-x man RET Xt
TAB', I get completions like

XTestCompareCurrentCursorWithWindow(3) 	XTestCompareCursorWithWindow(3)
XTestDiscard(3) 	XTestFakeButtonEvent(3)
XTestFakeKeyEvent(3) 	XTestFakeMotionEvent(3)
XTestFakeRelativeMotionEvent(3) 	XTestGrabControl(3)
XTestQueryExtension(3) 	XTestSetGContextOfGC(3)
XTestSetVisualIDOfVisual(3) 	XtAddActions(3)
XtAddCallback(3) 	XtAddCallbacks(3)
XtAddConverter(3) 	XtAddEventHandler(3)
XtAddExposureToRegion(3) 	XtAddGrab(3)

So I'm guessing that this has been fixed at some point, and I'm closing
this bug report.  If you're still seeing this, please reopen.

* bug#10712: $MANPATH is ignored by man.el
@ 2020-08-09  5:46   ` 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2020-08-09  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 10712

Yes, seems fixed now.