all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#12997: Add some way to mark autoloads as obsolete
@ 2012-11-26  1:46 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-11-26  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 12997

Package: emacs
Severity: wishlist

It would be handy if there was a way to mark autoloads obsolete.
Then if the relevant function/variable is accessed without the
associated package being already loaded, a warning would be produced.
(Either from the byte-compiler or via display-warning at the end of

* bug#12997: Add some way to mark autoloads as obsolete
@ 2022-05-10 12:22 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-10 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 12997

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> It would be handy if there was a way to mark autoloads obsolete.
> Then if the relevant function/variable is accessed without the
> associated package being already loaded, a warning would be produced.
> (Either from the byte-compiler or via display-warning at the end of

I may well be misunderstanding what you mean here, but if you

;;;###autoload
(defun foo ()
  (declare (obsolete nil "25.1"))

then that obsoletion form also makes it into the loaddefs file, so this
seems like it should already work?

Or is this something that's been fixed in the decade since the bug
report was opened?

* bug#12997: Add some way to mark autoloads as obsolete
@ 2022-06-09 15:05   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-06-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 12997

> I may well be misunderstanding what you mean here, but if you
>
> ;;;###autoload
> (defun foo ()
>   (declare (obsolete nil "25.1"))
>
> then that obsoletion form also makes it into the loaddefs file, so this
> seems like it should already work?
>
> Or is this something that's been fixed in the decade since the bug
> report was opened?

This was a month ago, so I'm going to go ahead and guess that this works
fine now, and I'm closing this bug report.  If this bug report was about
something else, please respond to the debbugs address and we'll reopen.

* bug#12997: Add some way to mark autoloads as obsolete
@ 2022-06-14 17:54     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2022-06-14 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 12997

FTR, I meant "a way to indicate that an autoload cookie is obsolete,
and might be removed"; not "a way to autoload an obsolete function".