all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* NonGNU ELPA: intent to add 'mailscripts'
@ 2022-12-18 22:45 Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2022-12-18 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I'm planning to add my 'mailscripts' package to NonGNU ELPA after
cutting its next tagged release.
(It has to go in NonGNU because it depends on 'notmuch', which I added
to NonGNU ELPA today, after consulting with its maintainer.)

https://git.spwhitton.name/mailscripts/tree/mailscripts.el

    ;;; mailscripts.el --- utilities for handling mail on Unixes

    ;;; Commentary:

    ;; The original purpose of this package was to make it easy to use
    ;; the small mail-handling utilities shipped in Debian's
    ;; 'mailscripts' package from within Emacs.  It now also contains
    ;; some additional, thematically-related utilities which don't
    ;; invoke any of those scripts.
    ;;
    ;; Entry points you might like to look at if you're new to this package:
    ;; mailscripts-prepare-patch, notmuch-slurp-debbug,
    ;; notmuch-extract-{thread,message}-patches{,-to-project}.

--
Sean Whitton

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: intent to add 'mailscripts'
@ 2022-12-18 23:50 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-12-18 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Whitton; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I'm planning to add my 'mailscripts' package to NonGNU ELPA after
> cutting its next tagged release.
> (It has to go in NonGNU because it depends on 'notmuch', which I added
> to NonGNU ELPA today, after consulting with its maintainer.)

Side note: GNU ELPA packages *can* depend on NonGNU ELPA packages.

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: intent to add 'mailscripts'
@ 2022-12-19  5:20   ` Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2022-12-19  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello,

On Sun 18 Dec 2022 at 06:50PM -05, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I'm planning to add my 'mailscripts' package to NonGNU ELPA after
>> cutting its next tagged release.
>> (It has to go in NonGNU because it depends on 'notmuch', which I added
>> to NonGNU ELPA today, after consulting with its maintainer.)
>
> Side note: GNU ELPA packages *can* depend on NonGNU ELPA packages.

Oh!

I am not sure whether I ought to assign copyright on this one, because
it's tied to scripts where I definitely don't want to assign copyright.
It wouldn't be too hard to move it NonGNU ELPA -> GNU ELPA later, right?

--

@ 2022-12-19 16:10     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-12-19 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Whitton; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I am not sure whether I ought to assign copyright on this one, because
> it's tied to scripts where I definitely don't want to assign copyright.
> It wouldn't be too hard to move it NonGNU ELPA -> GNU ELPA later, right?

Moving is not hard, no.
But as is often the case, moving/renaming is a PITA involving manual
and/or error prone labor.

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: intent to add 'mailscripts'
@ 2022-12-19 22:32       ` Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2022-12-19 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello,

On Mon 19 Dec 2022 at 11:10AM -05, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I am not sure whether I ought to assign copyright on this one, because
>> it's tied to scripts where I definitely don't want to assign copyright.
>> It wouldn't be too hard to move it NonGNU ELPA -> GNU ELPA later, right?
>
> Moving is not hard, no.
> But as is often the case, moving/renaming is a PITA involving manual
> and/or error prone labor.

I think the chances of needing gnu->nongnu are higher than the converse,
so I'll play it safe and add to nongnu.  Thanks!

--

@ 2022-12-21  2:45   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-12-21  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: spwhitton, emacs-devel

  > Side note: GNU ELPA packages *can* depend on NonGNU ELPA packages.

No, they can't.

Emacs is supposed to be a coherent program whose features normally
work if you install Emacs.  That won't be the case if features of
Emacs depend on packages in NonGNU ELPA, which are not part of Emacs.

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: intent to add 'mailscripts'
@ 2022-12-21  5:15     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-12-21  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: spwhitton, emacs-devel

>   > Side note: GNU ELPA packages *can* depend on NonGNU ELPA packages.
> No, they can't.

Yes, they can and they do.

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: intent to add 'mailscripts'
@ 2022-12-22  4:34       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-12-22  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: spwhitton, emacs-devel

  > >   > Side note: GNU ELPA packages *can* depend on NonGNU ELPA packages.
  > > No, they can't.

  > Yes, they can and they do.

That creates potential problems.  I'd like to look at how serioue the
existing ones are.  You seem to know of examples -- would you please
say which packages are involved?

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: intent to add 'mailscripts'
@ 2022-12-22 14:41         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-12-22 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: spwhitton, emacs-devel

>   > >   > Side note: GNU ELPA packages *can* depend on NonGNU ELPA packages.
>   > > No, they can't.
>
>   > Yes, they can and they do.
>
> That creates potential problems.  I'd like to look at how serioue the
> existing ones are.  You seem to know of examples -- would you please
> say which packages are involved?

No, I'm not interested in going through this all over again.

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: intent to add 'mailscripts'
@ 2022-12-23  2:47           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-12-23  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > > That creates potential problems.  I'd like to look at how serioue the
  > > existing ones are.  You seem to know of examples -- would you please
  > > say which packages are involved?

  > No, I'm not interested in going through this all over again.

If we had a discussion about this before, I'd like to see what
consensus we reached.  Can you tell me roughly when the discussion
occurred?  Then I can find the old messages.