all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to pass an object-path over d-bus from emacs?
@ 2022-07-22 23:02 Fran Burstall (Gmail)
From: Fran Burstall (Gmail) @ 2022-07-22 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using the excellent dbus.el library.

Q: How do I feed a parameter of type o (object-path) over d-bus from
emacs-lisp?

My reading of the docs is that something of the form

    (list :variant (list :object-path "/some/path/here"))

should do the job.  But the receiving application complains:

   playerctl-WARNING **: 20:10:52.843: mpris:trackid is a string, not a
D-Bus object reference

Any idea what I am missing?

---Fran

* Re: How to pass an object-path over d-bus from emacs?
@ 2022-07-23 10:54 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-07-23 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fran Burstall (Gmail); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Fran Burstall (Gmail)" <fran.burstall@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> Q: How do I feed a parameter of type o (object-path) over d-bus from
> emacs-lisp?
>
> My reading of the docs is that something of the form
>
>     (list :variant (list :object-path "/some/path/here"))
>
> should do the job.  But the receiving application complains:
>
>    playerctl-WARNING **: 20:10:52.843: mpris:trackid is a string, not a
> D-Bus object reference
>
> Any idea what I am missing?

If you just need the object path, say ':object-path "/some/path/here"'
(w/o the surrounding apostrophes). See the examples in
.../test/lisp/net/dbus-tests.el

> ---Fran

Best regards, Michael.

* Using Tramp from Lisp
@ 2022-07-24  8:42   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-07-24  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michael, let me know if I can use Tramp from Lisp as easy for purpose to transfer file to remote server?

I am using my own SCP and rsync based functions. Maybe it is not necessary if Tramp provides it.

And I like to specify username instead of using config files.

Jean

* Re: Using Tramp from Lisp
@ 2022-07-24  9:43     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-07-24  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

Hi Jean,

> Michael, let me know if I can use Tramp from Lisp as easy for purpose to transfer file to remote server?

That is exactly the raison d'être of Tramp.

> I am using my own SCP and rsync based functions. Maybe it is not necessary if Tramp provides it.

No. Copying a file is (copy-file "/path1/source" "/path2/target") Doing
the same for a remote host, it is (copy-file "/path1/source" "/scp:user@host:/path2/target")
That's all. In fact, for the mafority Lisp functions handling files, you
can use a file name in its remote syntax. copy-file is just an example.

Tramp supports many connection methods, besides "ssh" it also supports
"cp" and "rsync".

> And I like to specify username instead of using config files.

As shown in the example, it is possible. Perhaps you read the Tramp
manual, for example (info "(tramp)File name syntax")

> Jean

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Using Tramp from Lisp
@ 2022-07-24 10:12       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-07-24 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I hope that copy file will be as fast as direct function using scp/rsync, I must test it today.

Jean