all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-11 14:02 uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-11 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I want to move the "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.  Can this be done?
I have a very tall screen at work and have to go a long way up to access them, when I
am working on a lower window.

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-11 15:25 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-09-11 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> I want to move the "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
> Can this be done?  I have a very tall screen at work and have to go a
> long way up to access them, when I am working on a lower window.

Menus are tied to frames not windows. So I don't think that is
possible. But...

You can use the function key F10. It opens the same menu exactly where
the point (cursor) is. Added advantage is that you can traverse it using
keyboard.

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-11 15:35   ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-09-11 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pankaj Jangid [2022-09-11 20:55:18] wrote:
> uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:
>> I want to move the "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
>> Can this be done?  I have a very tall screen at work and have to go a
>> long way up to access them, when I am working on a lower window.
>
> Menus are tied to frames not windows. So I don't think that is
> possible. But...
>
> You can use the function key F10. It opens the same menu exactly where
> the point (cursor) is. Added advantage is that you can traverse it using
> keyboard.

`C-mouse-3` also shows the complete menu when your frame doesn't have
a menu-bar.

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-12  1:23 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-12  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> I want to move the "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
> Can this be done?  I have a very tall screen at work and have to go a
> long way up to access them, when I am working on a lower window.

That isn't possible, but if you turn off menu-bar-mode, pressing control
with Button3 should display the menu bar under the pointer.

Tooltips always appear under the pointer, so I don't see the problem
with them.  Could you please elaborate?

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-12  1:33   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-12  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > I want to move the "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
> > Can this be done? I have a very tall screen at work and have to go a
> > long way up to access them, when I am working on a lower window.
>

> That isn't possible, but if you turn off menu-bar-mode, pressing control
> with Button3 should display the menu bar under the pointer.
>
> Tooltips always appear under the pointer, so I don't see the problem
> with them. Could you please elaborate?

Small mistake, not "Tooltips" but "Icons Bar".

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-12  1:40     ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-12  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Pankaj Jangid [2022-09-11 20:55:18] wrote:
>
> > uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me writes:
> >
> > > I want to move the "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
> > > Can this be done? I have a very tall screen at work and have to go a
> > > long way up to access them, when I am working on a lower window.
> >
> > Menus are tied to frames not windows. So I don't think that is
> > possible. But...
> >
> > You can use the function key F10. It opens the same menu exactly where
> > the point (cursor) is. Added advantage is that you can traverse it using
> > keyboard.
>

> `C-mouse-3` also shows the complete menu when your frame doesn't have
> a menu-bar.

> Stefan

In Emacs, the "Tool Bar" can be displayed with the options "None", "On the Top", "On the Bottom",
"On the Left", "On the Right".  Could the "Menu Bar" be made to do the same?

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-12  3:08       ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-12  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> In Emacs, the "Tool Bar" can be displayed with the options "None", "On
> the Top", "On the Bottom", "On the Left", "On the Right".

Only under GTK builds.

> Could the "Menu Bar" be made to do the same?

In principle, yes.  But someone has to write that code, and I won't envy
the person who does, since the current tool bar placement code is
already one of the trickiest pieces of the GTK support code.

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-12 10:54         ` Christopher Dimech
> > In Emacs, the "Tool Bar" can be displayed with the options "None", "On
> > the Top", "On the Bottom", "On the Left", "On the Right".
>
> Only under GTK builds.
>
> > Could the "Menu Bar" be made to do the same?
>
> In principle, yes.  But someone has to write that code, and I won't envy
> the person who does, since the current tool bar placement code is
> already one of the trickiest pieces of the GTK support code.

Perhaps Joao Carvalho could work on it.

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-12 11:09           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-12 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech
  Cc: João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho, uzibalqa, Stefan Monnier,
	help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

>> In principle, yes.  But someone has to write that code, and I won't envy
>> the person who does, since the current tool bar placement code is
>> already one of the trickiest pieces of the GTK support code.
>
> Perhaps Joao Carvalho could work on it.

Who is that?

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-12 11:32             ` Christopher Dimech
> >> In principle, yes.  But someone has to write that code, and I won't envy
> >> the person who does, since the current tool bar placement code is
> >> already one of the trickiest pieces of the GTK support code.
> >
> > Perhaps Joao Carvalho could work on it.
>
> Who is that?

A smart Brazilian currently at the University of Alberta who wants to work on
something good.  Joao, what do you think?  Do you have a team at Alberta?

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-12 16:29               ` João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho
From: João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho @ 2022-09-12 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Po Lu, uzibalqa, Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

> A smart Brazilian currently at the University of Alberta who wants to work
> on
> something good.  Joao, what do you think?  Do you have a team at Alberta?

CD, thanks for the kind words.

I don't have a team, but I am going to reserve time weekly to work on Emacs.

 > > In Emacs, the "Tool Bar" can be displayed with the options "None", "On
> > the Top", "On the Bottom", "On the Left", "On the Right".
> > Could the "Menu Bar" be made to do the same?

From your problem description, it seems that showing the "Menu Bar" in a
different side of the screen (top, bottom, left, or right) would not help
you in the general case.
For example, if you have 2 or 3 windows stacked vertically and your cursor
is on the top most one, then having the "Menu bar" at the bottom is of
little help.

I believe the suggestions from Pankaj and Stefan to use either <f10> or
C-mouse-3 are good solutions to your problem.

Would a text-only version of the "Menu Bar" be of interest? That way we can
have a keychord to open a buffer with the menu items and navigate as in
*Help*/*info* buffers.
The benefit of a text-only "Menu Bar" is that we don't need to rely on GTK
or any other graphical window API.

--
João Paulo L. de Carvalho
Ph.D Computer Science |  IC-UNICAMP | Campinas , SP - Brazil

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-12 20:31         ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-12 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

> > In Emacs, the "Tool Bar" can be displayed with the options "None", "On
> > the Top", "On the Bottom", "On the Left", "On the Right".
>

> Only under GTK builds.
>
> > Could the "Menu Bar" be made to do the same?
>

> In principle, yes. But someone has to write that code, and I won't envy
> the person who does, since the current tool bar placement code is
> already one of the trickiest pieces of the GTK support code.

Can one detach the Menu-Bar and Icon-Bar?  Like one can do with Gimp, where one
can move the toolbox around.

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-13  2:21                 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-13  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho
  Cc: Christopher Dimech, uzibalqa, Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho <jaopaulolc@gmail.com> writes:

> Would a text-only version of the "Menu Bar" be of interest? That way
> we can have a keychord to open a buffer with the menu items and
> navigate as in *Help*/*info* buffers.

That already exists, see tmm-menubar.

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-13  2:22           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-13  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> Can one detach the Menu-Bar and Icon-Bar?  Like one can do with Gimp, where one
> can move the toolbox around.

If you mean the toolbar by "Icon-Bar", then no, not since the GTK
developers deleted the features we need to detach the toolbar.

The menu bar cannot be detached.

* RE: [External] : Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-13  3:01                   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-09-13  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu, João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho
  Cc: Christopher Dimech, uzibalqa, Stefan Monnier,
	help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > Would a text-only version of the "Menu Bar" be of interest? That way
> > we can have a keychord to open a buffer with the menu items and
> > navigate as in *Help*/*info* buffers.
>
> That already exists, see tmm-menubar.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LaCarte

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/lacarte.el

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-13  3:19                   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-09-13  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu
  Cc: João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho, Christopher Dimech,
	Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

> > Would a text-only version of the "Menu Bar" be of interest? That way
> > we can have a keychord to open a buffer with the menu items and
> > navigate as in Help/info buffers.
>

> That already exists, see tmm-menubar.

Is there the equivalent of the toolbar as well?

* Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-13  3:56                     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-09-13  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa
  Cc: João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho, Christopher Dimech,
	Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> Is there the equivalent of the toolbar as well?

Not that I know of.

* Re: [External] : Re: Moving "Menu Bar" and "Tooltips" to a specific window.
@ 2022-09-13  4:07                     ` João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho
From: João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho @ 2022-09-13  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams
  Cc: Po Lu, Christopher Dimech, uzibalqa, Stefan Monnier,
	help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for mentioning that.

I will definitely try it out as I don't like GUI menus.

@ 2022-09-13  4:09                       ` João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho
From: João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho @ 2022-09-13  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: uzibalqa, Christopher Dimech, Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

Having a text-based "Tool Bar" seems like a good idea if it doesn't exist
already.