all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [RFC] Proposed change to EWW history navigation
@ 2024-02-19 20:04 Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2024-02-19 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Over in bug#69232[1], I've posted a patch to change how history
navigation in EWW works (read: when you go back/forward). Currently,
every time you go back or forward, it adds the current page to the end
of the history, even when that page is already *in* the history. This
means that if you navigate back to a previous page, and then forwards
again, it will keep adding duplicate pages to the history. This means
you can never reach the "end" of your history this way. (You can see
full steps to reproduce this over at the bug.)

In my mind, this behavior isn't useful and is likely just a bug, so I've
changed it in my patch to be more consistent with other browsers.
However, since history navigation is a pretty fundamental thing (and EWW
has had this behavior for a long time), I want to be sure no one is
relying on the current behavior. So...

Is there anyone reading who prefers the current behavior? If so, could
you let me know what you use it for? Depending on people's answers, we
could leave my patch as-is, add a user option to restore the old
behavior, or even add separate new features to meet people's needs.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69232

* Re: [RFC] Proposed change to EWW history navigation
@ 2024-02-21  7:12 ` James Thomas
From: James Thomas @ 2024-02-21  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jim Porter wrote:

> Over in bug#69232[1], I've posted a patch to change how history
> navigation in EWW works (read: when you go back/forward). Currently,
> every time you go back or forward, it adds the current page to the end
> of the history, even when that page is already *in* the history. This
> means that if you navigate back to a previous page, and then forwards
> again, it will keep adding duplicate pages to the history. This means
> you can never reach the "end" of your history this way. (You can see
> full steps to reproduce this over at the bug.)
>
> In my mind, this behavior isn't useful and is likely just a bug, so
> I've changed it in my patch to be more consistent with other browsers.
> However, since history navigation is a pretty fundamental thing (and
> EWW has had this behavior for a long time), I want to be sure no one
> is relying on the current behavior. So...
>
> Is there anyone reading who prefers the current behavior? If so, could
> you let me know what you use it for? Depending on people's answers, we
> could leave my patch as-is, add a user option to restore the old
> behavior, or even add separate new features to meet people's needs.
>
> [1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69232

Just wanna say that I'm in favour of this, and 'thank you'.

The patch seems to work just fine.

--
James

* Re: [RFC] Proposed change to EWW history navigation
@ 2024-02-28 23:41 ` Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2024-02-28 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2/19/2024 12:04 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
> Over in bug#69232[1], I've posted a patch to change how history
> navigation in EWW works (read: when you go back/forward).
[snip]> [1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=69232

I've updated this patch to be more like other browsers: now, when
navigating to a brand-new page from a historical one, EWW clears the
"future history" after that historical page. If you're familiar with how
most web browsers like Firefox and Chrome work, this is exactly the same.

As before, if this would cause problems for any EWW users, let me know,
and I'll try to accommodate your use cases in my patch.