all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there equivalent C-l for columns?
@ 2022-06-15  8:21 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-06-15  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

C-l is very handy, it may center my cursor or bring it to the top or
bottom, however it works horizontally on text rows or lines.

I have file with long lines which I edit without wrapping and it
becomes difficult when I am editing those characters in columns longer
than the available window space in Emacs.

So I am just assuming there could be some solution for long lines to
bring the focus into window easier, similar to C-l

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Is there equivalent C-l for columns?
@ 2022-06-15  9:00 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-06-15  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> I have file with long lines which I edit without wrapping
> and it becomes difficult when I am editing those characters
> in columns longer than the available window space in Emacs.

Yep, avoid that situation.

> So I am just assuming there could be some solution for long
> lines to bring the focus into window easier, similar to C-l

(defun recenter-col ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((beg (point-at-bol))
        (end (point-at-eol)) )
    (goto-char (+ beg (/ (- end beg) 2)) )))
(defalias 'rc #'recenter-col)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Is there equivalent C-l for columns?
@ 2022-06-15 10:29 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-06-15 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> C-l is very handy, it may center my cursor or bring it to the top or
> bottom, however it works horizontally on text rows or lines.
>
> I have file with long lines which I edit without wrapping and it
> becomes difficult when I am editing those characters in columns longer
> than the available window space in Emacs.
>
> So I am just assuming there could be some solution for long lines to
> bring the focus into window easier, similar to C-l

There are scroll commands that scroll horizontally, but such a horizontal
recenter sounds very useful.

Seems it already has been invented: `w3m-horizontal-recenter' in w3m and
`gnus-horizontal-recenter' in Gnus.  The w3m command seems to work fine,
the Gnus command doesn't do anything for me.

Michael.

* Re: Is there equivalent C-l for columns?
@ 2022-06-15 11:08   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-06-15 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> There are scroll commands that scroll horizontally, but such a horizontal
> recenter sounds very useful.

We have a feature request for this: bug#30747.

Michael.

* Re: Is there equivalent C-l for columns?
@ 2022-06-15 11:22   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-06-15 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2022-06-15 13:31]:
> Seems it already has been invented: `w3m-horizontal-recenter' in w3m and
> `gnus-horizontal-recenter' in Gnus.  The w3m command seems to work fine,
> the Gnus command doesn't do anything for me.

I wish it would work, and I tried it.

Gnus one I cannot find after loading gnus library.

w3m one only do very small movement, it does not recenter my text in
the center of window.

--

@ 2022-06-15 11:29   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-06-15 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> There are scroll commands that scroll horizontally

Indeed, for example

;; scroll horizontally

(put 'scroll-left  'disabled nil)
(put 'scroll-right 'disabled nil)

(setq hscroll-margin 1)
(setq hscroll-step   1)

(defun scroll-left-1 ()
  (interactive)
  (scroll-right 1 0) ) ; yes, "the opposite" here

(defun scroll-right-1 ()
  (interactive)
  (scroll-left 1 0) )  ; ditto

A lot more on civilized scrolling,

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/scroll.el

--

@ 2022-06-15 11:33     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-06-15 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> Gnus one I cannot find after loading gnus library.

`gnus-horizontal-recenter' (a function, not a command) is in
"gnus.util.el".  It only does something when there are lines larger than
the window width AFAIU.

> w3m one only do very small movement, it does not recenter my text in
> the center of window.

Works perfectly here.  It recenters the cursor position horizontally
here.

Michael.

* Re: Is there equivalent C-l for columns?
@ 2022-06-15 11:36     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-06-15 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

>> There are scroll commands that scroll horizontally, but
>> such a horizontal recenter sounds very useful.
>
> We have a feature request for this: bug#30747.

Good work! \o/

What did you say?

And how do you file feature requests?

--

@ 2022-06-15 11:40     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-06-15 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>> Seems it already has been invented:
>> `w3m-horizontal-recenter' in w3m and
>> `gnus-horizontal-recenter' in Gnus. The w3m command seems
>> to work fine, the Gnus command doesn't do anything for me.
>
> I wish it would work, and I tried it.
>
> Gnus one I cannot find after loading gnus library.

It is in gnus-util.el, line 567-590:

(defun gnus-horizontal-recenter ()
  "Recenter the current buffer horizontally."
  (if (< (current-column) (/ (window-width) 2))
      (set-window-hscroll (gnus-get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t) 0)
    (let* ((orig (point))
	   (end (window-end (gnus-get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t)))
	   (max 0))
      (when end
	;; Find the longest line currently displayed in the window.
	(goto-char (window-start))
	(while (and (not (eobp))
		    (< (point) end))
	  (end-of-line)
	  (setq max (max max (current-column)))
	  (forward-line 1))
	(goto-char orig)
	;; Scroll horizontally to center (sort of) the point.
	(if (> max (window-width))
	    (set-window-hscroll
	     (gnus-get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t)
	     (min (- (current-column) (/ (window-width) 3))
		  (+ 2 (- max (window-width)))))
	  (set-window-hscroll (gnus-get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t) 0))
	max))))

To be Gnus a pretty short function LOL :)

  GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2022-05-28
  [commit 79ae40c8e4dac5898d68c92f26f625ac400b960c]

--

@ 2022-06-15 11:43       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-06-15 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Emanuel> And how do you file feature requests?

M-x report-emacs-bug

and then put something like "RFE" or "Enhancement request" in the
subject, provide a fairly detailed description of what youʼre after,
and why, and then see what happens.

Robert