all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Conveniently see utf8 characters and corresponding hex codes for them
@ 2022-10-20 22:27 Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-10-20 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I can see that (read-char-by-name "Unicode: ") shows the UTF8 character names. But I do not see any
easier way to see the actual UTF8 character. Is there any possibility of making it easier to see the UTF8 character
with its hex code?

* Re: Conveniently see utf8 characters and corresponding hex codes for them
@ 2022-10-21  0:15 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-10-21  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I can see that (read-char-by-name "Unicode: ") shows the UTF8
> character names. But I do not see any easier way to see the actual
> UTF8 character. Is there any possibility of making it easier to see
> the UTF8 character with its hex code?

"Easier" in which sense?

Michael.

* Re: Conveniently see utf8 characters and corresponding hex codes for them
@ 2022-10-21  0:24   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-21  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org writes:
>
> > I can see that (read-char-by-name "Unicode: ") shows the UTF8
> > character names. But I do not see any easier way to see the actual
> > UTF8 character. Is there any possibility of making it easier to see
> > the UTF8 character with its hex code?
>

> "Easier" in which sense?
>
> Michael.

In the sense of the ability to view the actual symbol to be inserted.

* Re: Conveniently see utf8 characters and corresponding hex codes for them
@ 2022-10-21  1:39     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-10-21  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> > > I can see that (read-char-by-name "Unicode: ") shows the UTF8
> > > character names. But I do not see any easier way to see the actual
> > > UTF8 character. Is there any possibility of making it easier to see
> > > the UTF8 character with its hex code?
> >
> > "Easier" in which sense?
> >
> > Michael.
>
> In the sense of the ability to view the actual symbol to be inserted.

This is what `read-char-by-name' does here.

Michael.

* Re: Conveniently see utf8 characters and corresponding hex codes for them
@ 2022-10-21  2:07       ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-21  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > > "Easier" in which sense?
> > >
> > > Michael.
> >
> > In the sense of the ability to view the actual symbol to be inserted.
>

> This is what `read-char-by-name' does here.
>
> Michael.

If I copy a symbol from the web into emacs, can I trust the inserted symbol?

* Re: Conveniently see utf8 characters and corresponding hex codes for them
@ 2022-10-21  2:25         ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-10-21  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> If I copy a symbol from the web into emacs, can I trust the inserted
> symbol?

You mean a unicode character?

Michael.

* Re: Conveniently see utf8 characters and corresponding hex codes for them
@ 2022-10-21  3:29           ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-21  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > If I copy a symbol from the web into emacs, can I trust the inserted
> > symbol?
>

> You mean a unicode character?
>
> Michael.

The actual displayed symbol, which is supposed to be defined by a unicode character?

* Re: Conveniently see utf8 characters and corresponding hex codes for them
@ 2022-10-21  3:41             ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-10-21  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> The actual displayed symbol, which is supposed to be defined by a
> unicode character?

I guess that is save if you trust the site.  What kind of trouble do you
expect?

Michael.