all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7816: 24.0.50; (elisp) Display Property
@ 2011-01-10 17:15 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7816

In (elisp) Display Property we say this for menu item `Other Display
Specs':

 "Displaying an image; magnifying text; moving it up or down on the
  page; adjusting the width of spaces within text."

But in node `Other Display Specs' I see nothing about "magnifying text".

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2011-01-03 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'

* bug#7816: 24.0.50; (elisp) Display Property
@ 2011-01-28 18:05 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-01-28 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7816

> In (elisp) Display Property we say this for menu item `Other Display
> Specs':
>
>  "Displaying an image; magnifying text; moving it up or down on the
>   page; adjusting the width of spaces within text."
>
> But in node `Other Display Specs' I see nothing about "magnifying text".

`(height HEIGHT)'
     This display specification makes the text taller or shorter.

* bug#7816: 24.0.50; (elisp) Display Property
@ 2011-01-28 18:31   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-28 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chong Yidong'; +Cc: 7816

> > In (elisp) Display Property we say this for menu item `Other Display
> > Specs':
> >
> >  "Displaying an image; magnifying text; moving it up or down on the
> >   page; adjusting the width of spaces within text."
> >
> > But in node `Other Display Specs' I see nothing about
> > "magnifying text".
>
> `(height HEIGHT)'
>      This display specification makes the text taller or shorter.

OK, but that's not the same thing as magnifying, which without any qualification
implies magnifying both height and width.

Taller/shorter is not the same as bigger/smaller.

Please try to make this a bit clearer if you can, then feel free to close the
bug.  Thx.

* bug#7816: 24.0.50; (elisp) Display Property
@ 2011-01-28 19:20     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-01-28 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7816

>> `(height HEIGHT)'
>>      This display specification makes the text taller or shorter.
>
> OK, but that's not the same thing as magnifying, which without any
> qualification implies magnifying both height and width.
>
> Taller/shorter is not the same as bigger/smaller.

I guess we can just refer more generally to changing the height and
other characteristics of text.  I've changed it.