all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#16921: Suggested grep-files-aliases entry for GNU build systems
@ 2014-03-02  9:05 Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2014-03-02  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16921

At present, grep-files-aliases suggests "[Mm]akefile*" when you start rgrep
in a Makefile.am, which is not at all what one usually wants, as it greps
through long generated files.

I suggest the following pattern, to go just before the Makefile entry:

 ("am" . "Makefile.am GNUmakefile *.mk")

Makefile.am catches automake makefiles, GNUmakefile is often also used for
GNU-specific hackery (e.g. by gnulib), and *.mk catches other GNU-ery such
as gnulib's cfg.mk.

Placing the pattern before the Makefile entry means that the latter need
not be changed, but the new pattern is used for Makefile.am.

The alias "am" is supposed to suggest "automake".

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org

* bug#16921: Suggested grep-files-aliases entry for GNU build systems
@ 2022-05-11 13:13 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-11 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reuben Thomas; +Cc: 16921

Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> writes:

> At present, grep-files-aliases suggests "[Mm]akefile*" when you start rgrep in a
> Makefile.am, which is not at all what one usually wants, as it greps through long
> generated files.
>
> I suggest the following pattern, to go just before the Makefile entry:
>
>  ("am" . "Makefile.am GNUmakefile *.mk")
>
> Makefile.am catches automake makefiles, GNUmakefile is often also used for
> GNU-specific hackery (e.g. by gnulib), and *.mk catches other GNU-ery such as
> gnulib's cfg.mk.
>
> Placing the pattern before the Makefile entry means that the latter need not be
> changed, but the new pattern is used for Makefile.am.
>
> The alias "am" is supposed to suggest "automake".

Makes sense to me; I've now added this to Emacs 29.