all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Submenu with easy-menu-define yielding invalid menu item
@ 2022-10-19  1:44 Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-10-19  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I am making menus with "easy-menu-define". But I am having difficulty calling the submenu "dingo-outline-subm"
from "easy-menu-define". Would appreciate some assistance figuring out the problem.

The error captured is

Lisp error: (error "Invalid menu item in easymenu")

---------------------

;; Make submenu outline

(defvar dingo-outline-subm

'("Outline"

["Hide Direct Body" outline-hide-entry :help "Hide Entry"]

["Expose Direct Body" outline-show-entry :help "Show Entry"]

["Expose Headings" outline-hide-body :help "Hide Body"])

"Submenu giving outline capability.")

;; Make top menu dingo

(defun dingo-easym ()

"Dingo easy menu."

(easy-menu-define dingo-menu global-map "Dingo"

'("Dingo"

dingo-outline-subm

["Hide Entry" outline-hide-entry t]

["Show Entry" outline-show-entry t]

["Hide Body" outline-hide-body t])) )

* Re: Submenu with easy-menu-define yielding invalid menu item
@ 2022-10-19  2:49 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-19  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> I am making menus with "easy-menu-define". But I am having
> difficulty calling the submenu "dingo-outline-subm"
> from "easy-menu-define". Would appreciate some assistance
> figuring out the problem.
>
> The error captured is
>
> Lisp error: (error "Invalid menu item in easymenu")

Make a smaller menu that works and increase the size from
there ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Submenu with easy-menu-define yielding invalid menu item
@ 2022-10-19 11:51 ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2022-10-19 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor; +Cc: Heime

Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I am making menus with "easy-menu-define". But I am having difficulty calling the submenu "dingo-outline-subm"
> from "easy-menu-define". Would appreciate some assistance figuring out the problem.
>
> The error captured is
>
> Lisp error: (error "Invalid menu item in easymenu")
>
> ---------------------
>
> ;; Make submenu outline
>
> (defvar dingo-outline-subm
>
> '("Outline"
>
> ["Hide Direct Body" outline-hide-entry :help "Hide Entry"]
>
> ["Expose Direct Body" outline-show-entry :help "Show Entry"]
>
> ["Expose Headings" outline-hide-body :help "Hide Body"])
>
> "Submenu giving outline capability.")
>
> ;; Make top menu dingo
>
> (defun dingo-easym ()
>
> "Dingo easy menu."
>
> (easy-menu-define dingo-menu global-map "Dingo"
>
> '("Dingo"
>
> dingo-outline-subm
>
> ["Hide Entry" outline-hide-entry t]
>
> ["Show Entry" outline-show-entry t]
>
> ["Hide Body" outline-hide-body t])) )

If it helps this is a very small part of my 'easy-menu'

=====
(easy-menu-define sk-menu global-map "menu"
  '("Mono"
    ("Misc" ;; submenu
     ["Wrap Text" auto-fill-mode]
     ["Get colours" list-colors-display]
     ["Delete this file" delete-this-file]
     ["call paradox - package manager" paradox-list-packages]
     ["Show my cheatsheet" cheatsheet-show]
     ["typewriter-mode" centered-cursor-mode]
     ["Tea brewing time" tea-timer]
     ["Show current key-bindings" show-key-command]
     ["Set the font size" set-font-size]

     )
    ))
=====

And its been in constant use since November 2014!

Hope it helps, and if you need further guidance then please ask?

Thanks
  Sharon.
- --
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 11.5, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 29.0.50, org 9.5.5

* Re: Submenu with easy-menu-define yielding invalid menu item
@ 2022-10-19 12:49   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-19 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble wrote:

> ["call paradox - package manager" paradox-list-packages]

Call it poison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA6DtpRuvSQ

--

@ 2022-10-19 14:33   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-19 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
> > I am making menus with "easy-menu-define". But I am having
> > difficulty calling the submenu "dingo-outline-subm"
> > from "easy-menu-define". Would appreciate some assistance
> > figuring out the problem.
> >
> > The error captured is
> >
> > Lisp error: (error "Invalid menu item in easymenu")
>

> Make a smaller menu that works and increase the size from
> there ...

The problem starts happening when I call a defvar as Jean has been
doing.  But a mix of defvar and ["Desc" myfunc t] seems to fail.

* Re: Submenu with easy-menu-define yielding invalid menu item
@ 2022-10-19 20:23     ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-19 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

> > ["call paradox - package manager" paradox-list-packages]
>

> Call it poison!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA6DtpRuvSQ
>
> --
> underground experts united
> https://dataswamp.org/~incal

I wish people are sensible enough to understand who is being loathsome
when I ask questions here.  The more some call themselves "experts", the
worst their behaviour becomes.

* Re: Submenu with easy-menu-define yielding invalid menu item
@ 2022-10-19 21:04   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-19 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > I am making menus with "easy-menu-define". But I am having difficulty calling the submenu "dingo-outline-subm"
> > from "easy-menu-define". Would appreciate some assistance figuring out the problem.
> >
> > The error captured is
> >
> > Lisp error: (error "Invalid menu item in easymenu")
> >
> > ---------------------
> >
> > ;; Make submenu outline
> >
> > (defvar dingo-outline-subm
> >
> > '("Outline"
> >
> > ["Hide Direct Body" outline-hide-entry :help "Hide Entry"]
> >
> > ["Expose Direct Body" outline-show-entry :help "Show Entry"]
> >
> > ["Expose Headings" outline-hide-body :help "Hide Body"])
> >
> > "Submenu giving outline capability.")
> >
> > ;; Make top menu dingo
> >
> > (defun dingo-easym ()
> >
> > "Dingo easy menu."
> >
> > (easy-menu-define dingo-menu global-map "Dingo"
> >
> > '("Dingo"
> >
> > dingo-outline-subm
> >
> > ["Hide Entry" outline-hide-entry t]
> >
> > ["Show Entry" outline-show-entry t]
> >
> > ["Hide Body" outline-hide-body t])) )
>

> If it helps this is a very small part of my 'easy-menu'
>
> =====
> (easy-menu-define sk-menu global-map "menu"
> '("Mono"
> ("Misc" ;; submenu
> ["Wrap Text" auto-fill-mode]
> ["Get colours" list-colors-display]
> ["Delete this file" delete-this-file]
> ["call paradox - package manager" paradox-list-packages]
> ["Show my cheatsheet" cheatsheet-show]
> ["typewriter-mode" centered-cursor-mode]
> ["Tea brewing time" tea-timer]
> ["Show current key-bindings" show-key-command]
> ["Set the font size" set-font-size]
>
> )
> ))
> =====

Sharon, I can see you are using the [] construct to a list, which I can use
with defvar or defconst when the latter two construct a list.

Then the solution would be

["Outline" dingo-outline-subm t]

where one uses a defvar list rather than a callable function as done in