all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Want to contribute
       [not found] <1606971980.3573403.1670610989209.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2022-12-09 18:36 ` Masoud Esmaeilian
From: Masoud Esmaeilian @ 2022-12-09 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Hi Emacs,
I'm a fullstack developer with 9 years of experience but unfortunately not in LISP or Scheme or Emacs LISP. but I really want to contribute and learn it if it's needed.
looking forwards for your guidance.

thanks to all of you providing emacs to us.

Best Regards,Masoud

* Re: Want to contribute
@ 2022-12-10  8:12   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-12-10  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masoud Esmaeilian; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Masoud Esmaeilian <esmaeilian_him_masoud@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi Emacs,
> I'm a fullstack developer with 9 years of experience but unfortunately
> not in LISP or Scheme or Emacs LISP. but I really want to contribute
> and learn it if it's needed.
> looking forwards for your guidance.

Knowing _some_ Emacs Lisp will probably be useful.  Why don't you try
and learn that first (there is a nice introduction here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eintr/)?

If you need any help, you can always try sending a message to
help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.

When you have some experience you can start tackling bugs you find or
things that can be improved.

> thanks to all of you providing emacs to us.
>
> Best Regards,Masoud

* Re: Want to contribute
@ 2022-12-10  8:40     ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-12-10  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Masoud Esmaeilian, emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Masoud Esmaeilian <esmaeilian_him_masoud@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Emacs,
>> I'm a fullstack developer with 9 years of experience but unfortunately
>> not in LISP or Scheme or Emacs LISP. but I really want to contribute
>> and learn it if it's needed.
>> looking forwards for your guidance.
>
> Knowing _some_ Emacs Lisp will probably be useful.  Why don't you try
> and learn that first (there is a nice introduction here:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eintr/)?

You can also try "C-h i m Emacs Lisp Intro RET" or evaluate
(info "(eintr) Top") to open the book in Emacs, even when you're
offline.  I hope you'll love Emacs Lisp.

Emacs doesn't use Scheme as its extension language, so you don't need to
learn Scheme.  But Scheme is a great language, so if you want to learn
it there are many resources available online.  You might be also
interested in GNU Guile, GNU's own Scheme interpreter and a extension
language to many programs (your programs can also be on the list).

--
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: akib@hostux.social

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Want to contribute
@ 2022-12-10  9:45   ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-12-10  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masoud Esmaeilian; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Masoud Esmaeilian <esmaeilian_him_masoud@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm a fullstack developer with 9 years of experience but unfortunately
> not in LISP or Scheme or Emacs LISP. but I really want to contribute
> and learn it if it's needed.

Thanks.  Scheme is likely not useful, but Emacs Lisp is bound to be when
working on Emacs.

Ideally you should also learn C.
https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/c-intro-and-ref/ seems to have become
quite a good resource for that.  Our style of C is somewhat unusual for
most outsiders; you might want to familarize yourself with some files
(frame.c seems to be a good starting point) first.