all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs-pgtk-git 30.0.50 not recognize kbd "S-SPC"
@ 2022-12-23  0:43 Hu Elliott
From: Hu Elliott @ 2022-12-23  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi, I switched my emacs from x window-system (ver 28.x) to pgtk window-system (ver 30.0.50) for native wayland support (my WM/DE is SwayWM).

But I can't bind "S-SPC" to a function (yasnippet's "yas-next-field") anymore because emacs won't recognize "S-SPC" (i.e. <shift> + <space>).

Here's futher detail:

1. switched to x window-system emacs (ver 28.x, stable release)
 a. run "emacs -Q"
 b. press "C-h k"
 c. press "S-SPC"
 d. result (please notice the "translated from S-SPC"):

SPC (translated from S-SPC) runs the command self-insert-command
(found in global-map), which is an interactive built-in function in ‘C
source code’.

2. switched to pgtk window-system emacs (ver 30.0.50)
 a. run "emacs -Q"
 b. press "C-h k"
 c. press "S-SPC"
 d. result:

SPC runs the command self-insert-command (found in global-map), which
is an interactive built-in function in ‘C source code’.

As I rely on this key binding heavily to jump through tab stops in my snippets (thousand times per day), I really need "S-SPC" to be recognized again. Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

* Re: emacs-pgtk-git 30.0.50 not recognize kbd "S-SPC"
@ 2022-12-23  4:46 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-12-23  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hu Elliott; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hu Elliott <ATNewHope@outlook.com> writes:

> Hi, I switched my emacs from x window-system (ver 28.x) to pgtk window-system (ver 30.0.50) for native wayland support (my WM/DE is SwayWM).
>
> But I can't bind "S-SPC" to a function (yasnippet's "yas-next-field") anymore because emacs won't recognize "S-SPC" (i.e. <shift> + <space>).
>
> Here's futher detail:
>
> 1. switched to x window-system emacs (ver 28.x, stable release)
>  a. run "emacs -Q"
>  b. press "C-h k"
>  c. press "S-SPC"
>  d. result (please notice the "translated from S-SPC"):
>
> SPC (translated from S-SPC) runs the command self-insert-command
> (found in global-map), which is an interactive built-in function in ‘C
> source code’.
>
> 2. switched to pgtk window-system emacs (ver 30.0.50)
>  a. run "emacs -Q"
>  b. press "C-h k"
>  c. press "S-SPC"
>  d. result:
>
> SPC runs the command self-insert-command (found in global-map), which
> is an interactive built-in function in ‘C source code’.
>
> As I rely on this key binding heavily to jump through tab stops in my snippets (thousand times per day), I really need "S-SPC" to be recognized again. Your help is highly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

This is a problem with GTK input methods.  The bug lies with them, but
you can either run:

  (pgtk-use-im-context nil)

to disable GTK input methods altogether, or to put up with the problem,
since the input method developers have no interest in supporting such
unusual key press events.

Thanks.

* Re: emacs-pgtk-git 30.0.50 not recognize kbd "S-SPC"
@ 2022-12-23  8:25   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-12-23  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 12:46:28 +0800
>
> This is a problem with GTK input methods.  The bug lies with them, but
> you can either run:
>
>   (pgtk-use-im-context nil)
>
> to disable GTK input methods altogether, or to put up with the problem,

Another (albeit not very convenient) alternative is to use the "C-x @"
prefix.  Specifically, "C-x @ S SPC" (note: Capital S after @) should
invoke the command bound to S-SPC.

* Re: emacs-pgtk-git 30.0.50 not recognize kbd "S-SPC"
@ 2022-12-23 22:20   ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2022-12-23 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Hu Elliott, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> This is a problem with GTK input methods.  The bug lies with them, but
> you can either run:
>
>   (pgtk-use-im-context nil)
>
> to disable GTK input methods altogether, or to put up with the problem,
> since the input method developers have no interest in supporting such
> unusual key press events.

Even if it's just for the sake of it please report the bug.

Or was there already a bug report on this?

* Re: emacs-pgtk-git 30.0.50 not recognize kbd "S-SPC"
@ 2022-12-24  0:53     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-12-24  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar; +Cc: Hu Elliott, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:

> Even if it's just for the sake of it please report the bug.
>
> Or was there already a bug report on this?

Many, just search "S-SPC" on the bug tracker.

* 回复: emacs-pgtk-git 30.0.50 not recognize kbd "S-SPC"
@ 2022-12-24  1:35       ` Hu Elliott
From: Hu Elliott @ 2022-12-24  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Many, just search "S-SPC" on the bug tracker.

I've searched the bug tracker and got this:

https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-bug-tracker/2022-10/msg00231.html

> And the bug has now been fixed in GTK.  The fix should be released and
reach most users rather quickly, so I'm closing this bug.

I'm using Arch Linux and update all packages regularly.
GTK should be newest stable already.

However, as written in the first mail in this thread,
the same bug still exists.