all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Swapping characters in a word inside elisp code
@ 2023-07-28 18:03 uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-28 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I have a word and want to swap characters at position i with position j.

What would be a good way to do this ?  Would I need to change structure
(to array, vector or some other thing) ?

* Re: Swapping characters in a word inside elisp code
@ 2023-07-28 19:44 ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-28 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

> I have a word and want to swap characters at position i with position j.
>
> What would be a good way to do this ? Would I need to change structure
> (to array, vector or some other thing) ?

I have done it this way, but it fails when p > q

How can I solve this ?

(defun cswap (wstr p q)
  "Replace characters in WSTR at positions P and Q."

  (let ( (char1 (elt wstr p))
         (char2 (elt wstr q)) )

    (if (and char1 char2)
        (concat (substring wstr 0 p)
                (char-to-string char2)
                (substring wstr (+ p 1) q)
                (char-to-string char1)
                (substring wstr (+ q 1)))) ))

* RE: [External] : Swapping characters in a word inside elisp code
@ 2023-07-28 20:32 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-07-28 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa, uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> I have a word and want to swap characters at position i with position j.
>
> What would be a good way to do this ?  Would I need to change structure
> (to array, vector or some other thing) ?

(Homework?)

Depends what you mean by swap chars in a word.
And whether your word is represented by a string,
a vector, a list...  And how you want the result:
in a separate string, vector,... or in the same
one, modified.

(Again, you don't make clear what you want.)

Here's one way to swap chars in a string
destructively:

(defun cswap (string p q)
  "Swap chars in STRING at positions P and Q.
This is a destructive operation."
  (aset string p (prog1 (aref string q)
                        (aset string q (aref string p))))
  string)

(setq s1 "123456789")
(cswap s1 3 5) ; s1 = "123654789"
               ;          ^ ^

`prog1' is often used to swap things.
A more typical use is swapping values
of two variables:

(setq start (prog1 end (setq end start)))

* RE: [External] : Swapping characters in a word inside elisp code
@ 2023-07-28 20:45   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-28 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > I have a word and want to swap characters at position i with position j.
> >
> > What would be a good way to do this ? Would I need to change structure
> > (to array, vector or some other thing) ?
>

> (Homework?)
>
> Depends what you mean by swap chars in a word.
> And whether your word is represented by a string,
> a vector, a list... And how you want the result:
> in a separate string, vector,... or in the same
> one, modified.

I have a word and want to generate permutations of it.
And I need the ability to swap two characters at positions
i and j in word.

Just a toy project that does scrabble.

@ 2023-07-28 20:45   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-07-28 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On 2023-07-28, at 21:44, uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> wrote:

> Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

I'd probably use `format', not `concat'.  Alternatively, it might be
closer to idiomatic Elisp to put the word in a buffer and perform the
swap using editing operations (though this makes more sense for larger
things like words in a sentence, and probably less so for characters in
a word).

Also, if your code works only for p < q (which I believe you without
checking myself since it's about 22:45 here and my brain doesn't
function very well), why not include a check for q < p at the beginning
and call the same function recursively with p and q swapped?

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* RE: [External] : Swapping characters in a word inside elisp code
@ 2023-07-28 20:48     ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-28 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > > I have a word and want to swap characters at position i with position j.
> > >
> > > What would be a good way to do this ? Would I need to change structure
> > > (to array, vector or some other thing) ?
> >
> > (Homework?)
> >
> > Depends what you mean by swap chars in a word.
> > And whether your word is represented by a string,
> > a vector, a list... And how you want the result:
> > in a separate string, vector,... or in the same
> > one, modified.
>

> I have a word and want to generate permutations of it.
> And I need the ability to swap two characters at positions
> i and j in word.
>
> Just a toy project that does scrabble.
>
> > (Again, you don't make clear what you want.)
> >
> > Here's one way to swap chars in a string
> > destructively:
> >
> > (defun cswap (string p q)
> > "Swap chars in STRING at positions P and Q.
> > This is a destructive operation."
> > (aset string p (prog1 (aref string q)
> > (aset string q (aref string p))))
> > string)

I had made a function to do it but the changes were local (temporary)
because I was using setq.