all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* notmuch: boolean operators and path search
@ 2017-10-31  0:09 Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2017-10-31  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

can anyone please enlighten me, why the search term "is:spam AND
NOT path:Mail/spam-old/**" shows emails which are tagged spam and
are in spam-old?:

$ notmuch show --exclude=false --format=text "is:spam AND NOT path:Mail/spam-old/**"|head
message{ id:454c8ccad910465b74ce3e5b2119b652@lime30.brechidna.com depth:0 match:1 excluded:0 filename:/home/grfz/Mail/spam-old/cur/1509344405.10878_1.len:2,S
header{
Luckstar <reply@lime30.brechidna.com> (Yest. 10:19) (_T spam)
Subject: Unbestrittener Bonus für grfz
From: Luckstar <reply@lime30.brechidna.com>
To: grfz@gmx.de
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 02:19:53 -0700
header}
body{
part{ ID: 1, Content-type: text/html

Note the file name and the spam tag in line 3 of the output.

This:

$ notmuch show --exclude=false --format=text "is:spam AND path:Mail/spam-old/**"

shows nothing.

This is consistent with the results of notmuch count:

$ notmuch count "is:spam AND path:Mail/spam-old/**"
0
$ notmuch count "is:spam AND NOT path:Mail/spam-old/**"
10331

But I would expect the results to be the other way around since
there actually are no emails tagged spam in folders other than spam-old.

This is with:
$ notmuch --version
notmuch 0.25.1+161~g1b91884

Ciao; Gregor
--
 -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

* Re: notmuch: boolean operators and path search
@ 2017-10-31 19:07 ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2017-10-31 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler, help-gnu-emacs

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi there,

Hello

> can anyone please enlighten me, why the search term "is:spam AND
> NOT path:Mail/spam-old/**" shows emails which are tagged spam and
> are in spam-old?:

Did you try if only `path:Mail/spam-old/**` is producing any result? If
`Mail` is you top maildir directory, then I think it is not correct. You
should say `path:spam-old/**`.

* Re: notmuch: boolean operators and path search
@ 2017-11-01  0:39   ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2017-11-01  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Tomas,
* Tomas Nordin <tomasn@posteo.net> [2017-10-31; 20:07]:
> Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:
>> can anyone please enlighten me, why the search term "is:spam AND
>> NOT path:Mail/spam-old/**" shows emails which are tagged spam and
>> are in spam-old?:
>
> Did you try if only `path:Mail/spam-old/**` is producing any result? If
> `Mail` is you top maildir directory, then I think it is not correct. You
> should say `path:spam-old/**`.

Thanks, you are spot on: I rearranged my paths and
path:Mail/spam-old/** was right before this rearrangement.

I'm feeling relieved now.  Thanks again, Gregor