all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [BUG] org, ispell [9.6.6 (release_9.6.6 @  /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
@ 2023-10-29 14:16 Kai Jenkins
From: Kai Jenkins @ 2023-10-29 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

recipe to create bug:
- start emacs (via. emacs -Q)
- open a new org file
- create a heading (eg. * test)
- write some text under the heading that contains a spelling mistake
- fold the heading with tab
- run M-x ispell

the bug:
- ispell doesn't unfold the header that has the misspelled word (possible corrections
are shown in a ispell buffer so it is finding the incorrect word)
- when you exit ispell with C-g the heading is now stuck and will not unfold with tab
- in the buffer theres a message "SUBTREE (NO CHILDREN)"

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G9323))
of 2023-08-17
Package: Org mode version 9.6.6 (release_9.6.6 @ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)

* Re: [BUG] org, ispell [9.6.6 (release_9.6.6 @ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
@ 2023-11-05 11:58 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-11-05 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Jenkins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, 66790

Kai Jenkins <jenkinskair@gmail.com> writes:

> recipe to create bug:
> - starting emacs (via. emacs -Q)
> - open a new org file
> - create a heading (eg. * test)
> - write some text under the heading that contains a spelling mistake
> - fold the heading with tab
> - run M-x ispell
>
> the bug:
> - ispell doesnt unfold the header that has the bug (possible corrections
> are shown so it is finding the incorrect word)
> - when you exit ispell with C-g the heading is now stuck and will not unfold with tab
> - in the buffer theres a message "SUBTREE (NO CHILDREN)"

Confirmed.

At this point, I feel that supporting isearch + text properties is an
uphill battle. I was hoping to contribute isearch.el patch upstream, but
apparently numerous other libraries (ispell, regexp-search, evil,
swiper) are relying upon invisibility being handled in very specific
way, using overlays. Considering that using overlays is no longer slower
compared to text properties in Emacs 29+, I am thinking of slowly
switching back to using overlays for folding for newer Emacs versions.

For your problem, just add (setq org-fold-core-style 'overlays) early in
your config. It should fix the issue.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* bug#66790: [BUG] org, ispell [9.6.6 (release_9.6.6 @ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
@ 2023-11-05 11:58 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-11-05 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Jenkins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, 66790

@ 2024-05-02 11:36     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-05-02 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Jenkins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, 66790

> Confirmed.
>
> At this point, I feel that supporting isearch + text properties is an
> uphill battle. I was hoping to contribute isearch.el patch upstream, but
> apparently numerous other libraries (ispell, regexp-search, evil,
> swiper) are relying upon invisibility being handled in very specific
> way, using overlays. Considering that using overlays is no longer slower
> compared to text properties in Emacs 29+, I am thinking of slowly
> switching back to using overlays for folding for newer Emacs versions.

Org mode development branch will have `org-fold-core-style' defaulting
to 'overlays now as long as Emacs version is recent enough to handle
overlays efficiently.

Handled.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,