all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs.
@ 2023-08-05  7:23 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-08-05  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi here,

Are there some feasible ways to learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs?

Regards,
Zhao
--
Assoc. Prof. Hongsheng Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
Theory and Simulation of Materials

* Re: Learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs.
@ 2023-08-05  7:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-08-05  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 15:23:18 +0800
>
> Are there some feasible ways to learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs?

Emacs has a major mode for editing Awk scripts.

For debugging, you can use the built-in debugger of GNU Awk (Gawk).
You can run Gawk from shell or Eshell buffers inside Emacs.

* Re: Learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs.
@ 2023-08-05  8:14   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-08-05  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 3:53 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 15:23:18 +0800
> >
> > Are there some feasible ways to learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs?
>
> Emacs has a major mode for editing Awk scripts.
>
> For debugging, you can use the built-in debugger of GNU Awk (Gawk).
> You can run Gawk from shell or Eshell buffers inside Emacs.

My main concern is the following features:

Real-time display the values of variables and test snippets
conveniently, and so on.

Regards,
Zhao

* Re: Learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs.
@ 2023-08-05  8:23     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-08-05  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 16:14:47 +0800
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 3:53 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > For debugging, you can use the built-in debugger of GNU Awk (Gawk).
> > You can run Gawk from shell or Eshell buffers inside Emacs.
>
> My main concern is the following features:
>
> Real-time display the values of variables and test snippets
> conveniently, and so on.

I don't think I understand what you mean by "real-time display" here,
but in any case you cannot have more that the Gawk built-in debugger
offers.  See the node "Debugger" in the Gawk manual for the details.
In particular, its section "Sample Debugging Session" can serve as a
tutorial and guided tour of the Gawk debugging capabilities in action.

* Re: Learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs.
@ 2023-08-06 13:13 ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-08-06 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi here,
>
> Are there some feasible ways to learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs?

If there are no replies from the Emacs community, then you might try
asking your question in the Usenet newsgroup ‘comp.lang.awk’.

* Re: Learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs.
@ 2023-08-06 13:30   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-08-06 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tpeplt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Aug 6, 2023 at 9:13 PM tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi here,
> >
> > Are there some feasible ways to learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs?
> >

> If there are no replies from the Emacs community,

I've got some replies here.

> then you might try asking your question in the Usenet newsgroup ‘comp.lang.awk’.

Thank you. Done.

Zhao

* Re: Learn, use, and debug AWK in Emacs.
@ 2023-08-06 22:12 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-08-06 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> Are there some feasible ways to learn, use, and debug AWK
> in Emacs?

Sure,

(defun awk-col (col)
  (interactive "scolumn: ")
  (insert (format "awk '{print $%s}'" col)) )

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal