all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-03 19:49 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-03 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7777

In Emacs 22, the doc string of `directory-abbrev-alist' says this:

"*Every* FROM string should start with `^'."

Now it says this:

*Every* FROM string should start with "\\`".

That means that *Every* existing customization is broken (or at least
contradicts the "should").  This incompatible change should be
mentioned in the NEWS.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-12-20 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-03 20:04 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-01-03 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7777

> In Emacs 22, the doc string of `directory-abbrev-alist' says this:
>
> "*Every* FROM string should start with `^'."
>
> Now it says this:
>
> *Every* FROM string should start with "\\`".
>
> That means that *Every* existing customization is broken (or at least
> contradicts the "should").

*Every* existing customization will still work the same as before.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-03 20:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-01-03 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7777

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 11:49:07 -0800
>
> In Emacs 22, the doc string of `directory-abbrev-alist' says this:
>
> "*Every* FROM string should start with `^'."
>
> Now it says this:
>
> *Every* FROM string should start with "\\`".
>
> That means that *Every* existing customization is broken (or at least
> contradicts the "should").

It isn't and it doesn't.  If there are no file names with embedded
newlines, both "^" and "\`" do the same.  The "should" is to remind
this issue to those who want their customizations DTRT with newlines
in file names; previously, they needed to figure that by themselves,
or learn it the hard way.

> This incompatible change should be mentioned in the NEWS.

There was no change, except in the doc string (and in the value
suggested during customization).  No code changes, and the default
value is still nil.

Can we close this bug, please?  (Ts-ts-ts, such a nice bug number.)

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-03 21:44   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-03 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andreas Schwab'; +Cc: 7777

> > That means that *Every* existing customization is broken
> > (or at least contradicts the "should").
>
> *Every* existing customization will still work the same as before.

Well, that's what I figured, since \\` and ^ act similarly in such contexts.
Which is why I added "(or at least contradicts the "should")".

The NEWS entry should also reassure users that ^ patterns will still work OK -
in spite of the BLARING "*Every*...should" warning/caveat/commandment/rule.

From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-03 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii'; +Cc: 7777

> > That means that *Every* existing customization is broken
> > (or at least contradicts the "should").
>
> It isn't and it doesn't.  If there are no file names with embedded
> newlines, both "^" and "\`" do the same.

Yes, I know that.

> The "should" is to remind this issue to those who want their
> customizations DTRT with newlines in file names; previously,
> they needed to figure that by themselves, or learn it the hard way.

"Previously" there was already a similar "should" (for `^').
I have no problem with the "should", in any case.

> > This incompatible change should be mentioned in the NEWS.
>
> There was no change, except in the doc string (and in the value
> suggested during customization).  No code changes, and the default
> value is still nil.

There is a change in what we are telling users is the proper form for the option
value.  Before, we made a big deal about them needing to use `^'; now we are
making a bid deal about them needing to use `\\`'.

At the very least:

1. We're telling users that _every_ value should be different from what _every_
value was supposed to be before. That's a change for users that they should be
made aware of, even if such a "should" is in fact vacuous wrt the difference.

2. We should tell users, in NEWS, that they do _not_ in fact need to change
existing values that respected the old rule - in spite of the changed rule.
They do _not_ need to swap \\` for ^.  That is not necessarily obvious to users.

> Can we close this bug, please?

Sure, after it's fixed.

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-03 21:46   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-01-03 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

   (Ts-ts-ts, such a nice bug number.)

I'm still giggling---you are so funny.

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-04  4:01     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-01-04  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7777

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Cc: <7777@debbugs.gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 13:44:50 -0800
>
> 1. We're telling users that _every_ value should be different from what _every_
> value was supposed to be before. That's a change for users that they should be
> made aware of, even if such a "should" is in fact vacuous wrt the difference.

It's not a change, it's a doc fix.  The doc string is now more
helpful.

> 2. We should tell users, in NEWS, that they do _not_ in fact need to change
> existing values that respected the old rule - in spite of the changed rule.
> They do _not_ need to swap \\` for ^.  That is not necessarily obvious to users.

We don't put in NEWS changes that affect only doc strings.

How about if we change the doc string to not sound like a stringent
requirement, but rather as a "note"?

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-04  4:12       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-04  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii'; +Cc: 7777

> How about if we change the doc string to not sound like a stringent
> requirement, but rather as a "note"?

That would be an improvement, thanks (the manual, likewise).

It would also help to explain why.  Explaining why helps avoid any
misunderstanding wrt the older "rule", and it helps understand the new "note".

The other part of this bug is the location of the manual entry: Why the Elisp
manual?  This is a user option.  If we feel it is important to tell users about
this in a manual, why wouldn't the Emacs manual be the right one?

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-07 16:01         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-01-07 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7777-done

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Cc: <7777@debbugs.gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:12:33 -0800
>
> > How about if we change the doc string to not sound like a stringent
> > requirement, but rather as a "note"?
>
> That would be an improvement, thanks (the manual, likewise).

I fixed it on the emacs-23 branch (revision 100362).

> It would also help to explain why.  Explaining why helps avoid any
> misunderstanding wrt the older "rule", and it helps understand the new "note".

I added a short explanation.

> The other part of this bug is the location of the manual entry: Why the Elisp
> manual?  This is a user option.  If we feel it is important to tell users about
> this in a manual, why wouldn't the Emacs manual be the right one?

Its description in the ELisp manual is due to the fact that the same
node describes the abbreviate-file-name function, which uses this
variable.  As for repeating the description in the user manual, I'm
not sure this variable is important enough.  So I left this part out
of the bugfix.

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-08 22:01         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-01-08 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 7777

> The other part of this bug is the location of the manual entry: Why
> the Elisp manual?  This is a user option.  If we feel it is important
> to tell users about this in a manual, why wouldn't the Emacs manual be
> the right one?

Sounds reasonable; I've done as suggested (and added the anchoring
explanation).

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-08 22:35           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-08 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chong Yidong'; +Cc: 7777

> > The other part of this bug is the location of the manual entry:
> > Why the Elisp manual?  This is a user option.  If we feel it is
> > important to tell users about this in a manual, why wouldn't the
> > Emacs manual be the right one?
>
> Sounds reasonable; I've done as suggested (and added the anchoring
> explanation).

Just in case you didn't notice it, Eli gave a reason for it to be where it is
(in the Elisp manual):

ez> Its description in the ELisp manual is due to the fact that the same
ez> node describes the abbreviate-file-name function, which uses this
ez> variable.  As for repeating the description in the user manual, I'm
ez> not sure this variable is important enough.  So I left this part out
ez> of the bugfix.

FWIW, given Eli's explanation, I'm OK with it being in either manual (or both).

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-09  4:02           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-01-09  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: 7777

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Cc: "'Eli Zaretskii'" <eliz@gnu.org>, 7777@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 17:01:47 -0500
>
> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
> > The other part of this bug is the location of the manual entry: Why
> > the Elisp manual?  This is a user option.  If we feel it is important
> > to tell users about this in a manual, why wouldn't the Emacs manual be
> > the right one?
>
> Sounds reasonable; I've done as suggested (and added the anchoring
> explanation).

Didn't you like the change I did (on the emacs-23 branch) in the doc
string?  You also threw away the text I added to the ELisp manual, to
explain this.  Was it wrong or unclear?

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-13  5:21             ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-01-13  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 7777

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
>> Cc: "'Eli Zaretskii'" <eliz@gnu.org>, 7777@debbugs.gnu.org
>> Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 17:01:47 -0500
>>
>> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>>
>> > The other part of this bug is the location of the manual entry: Why
>> > the Elisp manual?  This is a user option.  If we feel it is important
>> > to tell users about this in a manual, why wouldn't the Emacs manual be
>> > the right one?
>>
>> Sounds reasonable; I've done as suggested (and added the anchoring
>> explanation).
>
> Didn't you like the change I did (on the emacs-23 branch) in the doc
> string?  You also threw away the text I added to the ELisp manual, to
> explain this.  Was it wrong or unclear?

Hmm, I didn't realize you already changed it (missed the message),
sorry.  I'll double check.

* bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS
@ 2011-01-28 17:31               ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-01-28 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 7777

>>> Sounds reasonable; I've done as suggested (and added the anchoring
>>> explanation).
>>
>> Didn't you like the change I did (on the emacs-23 branch) in the doc
>> string?  You also threw away the text I added to the ELisp manual, to
>> explain this.  Was it wrong or unclear?
>
> Hmm, I didn't realize you already changed it (missed the message),
> sorry.  I'll double check.

Should be fixed now.

I think the material should go in the Emacs manual.  Even though it's
not a very important feature, it's still a user feature rather than a
Lisp programming feature.  The discussion of abbreviate-file-name in the
Lisp manual now has a cross reference to the Emacs manual node.