all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#65121: 30.0.50; Text ``icons'' in margins receive region face
       [not found] <87sf8v1bae.fsf.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2023-08-07  8:55 ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-08-07  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 65121

Open emacs -nw (or on MS-DOS, just emacs.exe); then, type:

 C-h n C-x h

observe that the text representing icons within the left margin is also
highlighted.  Now, move the mouse over a link on a line that contains
such an icon: the mouse face will be displayed one column to the left of
its proper location.

* bug#65121: 30.0.50; Text ``icons'' in margins receive region face
@ 2023-08-07 12:57   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-08-07 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: 65121

> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 16:55:53 +0800
> From:  Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> Open emacs -nw (or on MS-DOS, just emacs.exe); then, type:
>
>  C-h n C-x h
>
> observe that the text representing icons within the left margin is also
> highlighted.

I see this, both on GNU/Linux and on MS-Windows in the -nw session,
but I don't think this is a bug.

> Now, move the mouse over a link on a line that contains such an
> icon: the mouse face will be displayed one column to the left of its
> proper location.

This I cannot reproduce on MS-Windows.  (I don't have a GNU/Linux
system with a mouse-capable TTY, so I cannot try there.)  Or maybe I
don't understand what you mean by "link on a line that contains such
an icon"?  By "links" do you mean symbols quoted 'like this'?

Strangely, not all of the links are highlighted with mouse-face, only
some.  And I cannot understand what makes different instances of a
link behave differently.

* bug#65121: 30.0.50; Text ``icons'' in margins receive region face
@ 2023-08-07 13:04     ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-08-07 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 65121

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I see this, both on GNU/Linux and on MS-Windows in the -nw session,
> but I don't think this is a bug.

This doesn't happen on X frames.

> This I cannot reproduce on MS-Windows.  (I don't have a GNU/Linux
> system with a mouse-capable TTY, so I cannot try there.)  Or maybe I
> don't understand what you mean by "link on a line that contains such
> an icon"?  By "links" do you mean symbols quoted 'like this'?

Yes.  Perhaps this bug is specific to the MS-DOS build; msdos.c's
variant of tty_draw_row_with_mouse_face seems to lack special treatment
for the margin area that is present in term.c.

> Strangely, not all of the links are highlighted with mouse-face, only
> some.  And I cannot understand what makes different instances of a
> link behave differently.

Or maybe we are witnessing different manifestations of the same bug.

Thanks.

* bug#65121: 30.0.50; Text ``icons'' in margins receive region face
@ 2023-08-07 13:17       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-08-07 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: 65121

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: 65121@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2023 21:04:09 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I see this, both on GNU/Linux and on MS-Windows in the -nw session,
> > but I don't think this is a bug.
>
> This doesn't happen on X frames.

It does if you customize icon-preferences to use only 'text'.  The
default icon on GUI frames is an SVG image, which defines its own
background color, so the region-face background doesn't show.

> > This I cannot reproduce on MS-Windows.  (I don't have a GNU/Linux
> > system with a mouse-capable TTY, so I cannot try there.)  Or maybe I
> > don't understand what you mean by "link on a line that contains such
> > an icon"?  By "links" do you mean symbols quoted 'like this'?
>
> Yes.  Perhaps this bug is specific to the MS-DOS build; msdos.c's
> variant of tty_draw_row_with_mouse_face seems to lack special treatment
> for the margin area that is present in term.c.

Could be.  Patches welcome.

> > Strangely, not all of the links are highlighted with mouse-face, only
> > some.  And I cannot understand what makes different instances of a
> > link behave differently.
>
> Or maybe we are witnessing different manifestations of the same bug.

You mean, you see all of 'quoted' symbols show as links on GUI frames?

* bug#65121: 30.0.50; Text ``icons'' in margins receive region face
@ 2023-08-07 13:21         ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-08-07 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 65121-done

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> It does if you customize icon-preferences to use only 'text'.  The
> default icon on GUI frames is an SVG image, which defines its own
> background color, so the region-face background doesn't show.

Considering this, and that:

> Could be.  Patches welcome.

I just installed a fix for this, I'm closing this bug.  Thanks for
shedding light on this.