all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#67835: 30.0.50; Error with undocumented disabled commands
@ 2023-12-15 10:45 kakkokakko
From: kakkokakko @ 2023-12-15 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 67835

1. emacs -Q --eval "(progn (defun foo () (interactive)) (put 'foo 'disabled t))"
2. M-x foo RET

Then, I encountered the error message "Wrong type argument:
char-or-string-p, nil". This behavior is different from that in
previous versions, like 27.1, where I received the following message.

| You have invoked the disabled command foo.
| It is disabled because new users often find it confusing.
| Here’s the first part of its description:
|
|    << not documented >>

I also expect similar behavior in 30.0.50.

In 30.0.50, it appears that disabled-command-function in
novice.el triggers this error by executing (insert nil) for
undocumented commands in the following code.

| (insert (condition-case ()
|             (documentation cmd)
|           (error "<< not documented >>")))

Although omitting a docstring is generally considered poor practice,
triggering an error for such commands might not be intentional
behavior. The corresponding code in 27.1 was as follows:

--
KH

* bug#67835: 30.0.50; Error with undocumented disabled commands
@ 2023-12-16 13:11 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-16 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kakkokakko, Stefan Kangas; +Cc: 67835

> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:45:13 +0900
> From: kakkokakko@gmail.com
>
> 1. emacs -Q --eval "(progn (defun foo () (interactive)) (put 'foo 'disabled t))"
> 2. M-x foo RET
>
> Then, I encountered the error message "Wrong type argument:
> char-or-string-p, nil". This behavior is different from that in
> previous versions, like 27.1, where I received the following message.
>
> | You have invoked the disabled command foo.
> | It is disabled because new users often find it confusing.
> | Here’s the first part of its description:
> |
> |    << not documented >>
>
> I also expect similar behavior in 30.0.50.
>
> In 30.0.50, it appears that disabled-command-function in
> novice.el triggers this error by executing (insert nil) for
> undocumented commands in the following code.
>
> | (insert (condition-case ()
> |             (documentation cmd)
> |           (error "<< not documented >>")))
>
> Although omitting a docstring is generally considered poor practice,
> triggering an error for such commands might not be intentional
> behavior. The corresponding code in 27.1 was as follows:
>
> | (... (or (condition-case ()
> |               (documentation cmd)
> |            (error nil))
> |          "<< not documented >>"))

Stefan, could you please look into this?  The above seems to come from
your changes in commit 6ad79059d2f843a1be617c72ae0e9d8a02c9a203.  I'd
like to fix this on the emacs-29 branch soon, if possible.

Thanks.

* bug#67835: 30.0.50; Error with undocumented disabled commands
@ 2023-12-16 19:37   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-12-16 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, kakkokakko; +Cc: 67835-done

Version: 29.2

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:45:13 +0900
>> From: kakkokakko@gmail.com
>>
>> 1. emacs -Q --eval "(progn (defun foo () (interactive)) (put 'foo 'disabled t))"
>> 2. M-x foo RET
>>
>> Then, I encountered the error message "Wrong type argument:
>> char-or-string-p, nil". This behavior is different from that in
>> previous versions, like 27.1, where I received the following message.
>>
>> | You have invoked the disabled command foo.
>> | It is disabled because new users often find it confusing.
>> | Here’s the first part of its description:
>> |
>> |    << not documented >>
>>
>> I also expect similar behavior in 30.0.50.
>>
>> In 30.0.50, it appears that disabled-command-function in
>> novice.el triggers this error by executing (insert nil) for
>> undocumented commands in the following code.
>>
>> | (insert (condition-case ()
>> |             (documentation cmd)
>> |           (error "<< not documented >>")))
>>
>> Although omitting a docstring is generally considered poor practice,
>> triggering an error for such commands might not be intentional
>> behavior. The corresponding code in 27.1 was as follows:
>>
>> | (... (or (condition-case ()
>> |               (documentation cmd)
>> |            (error nil))
>> |          "<< not documented >>"))