all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* https://debbugs.gnu.org and searching ..
@ 2024-04-25 14:29 Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2024-04-25 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, owner

It seems that searching in debbugs.gnu.org causes a 500 error.

E.g., searching for "in package", and emacs.

* Re: https://debbugs.gnu.org and searching ..
@ 2024-04-25 15:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-25 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfred M. Szmidt, sysadmin; +Cc: emacs-devel, owner

This should be reported to sysadmin@debbugs.gnu.org (CC'ed).

* Re: https://debbugs.gnu.org and searching ..
@ 2024-04-25 16:03   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-04-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Alfred M. Szmidt, sysadmin, emacs-devel, owner

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Hi,

>> It seems that searching in debbugs.gnu.org causes a 500 error.
>>
>> E.g., searching for "in package", and emacs.
>
> This should be reported to sysadmin@debbugs.gnu.org (CC'ed).

There were too many estmaster processes running in parallel, which
blocked each other. I've killed them.

Please try it, again.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: https://debbugs.gnu.org and searching ..
@ 2024-04-25 23:20     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2024-04-25 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus, Eli Zaretskii, Alfred M. Szmidt, emacs-devel,
	owner

Michael Albinus wrote:
> >> It seems that searching in debbugs.gnu.org causes a 500 error.
> >> E.g., searching for "in package", and emacs.
>
> There were too many estmaster processes running in parallel, which
> blocked each other. I've killed them.
>
> Please try it, again.

I am just going to note in passing that the www.gnu.org webserver also
has Hyper Estraier searching with estseek.cgi and some malicious agent
has been poking at it causing so many of those processes to be running
that it has browned out that system too.

Bob

* Re: https://debbugs.gnu.org and searching ..
@ 2024-04-26  7:37       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-04-26  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Alfred M. Szmidt, emacs-devel, owner

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

Hi Bob,

>> There were too many estmaster processes running in parallel, which
>> blocked each other. I've killed them.
>
> I am just going to note in passing that the www.gnu.org webserver also
> has Hyper Estraier searching with estseek.cgi and some malicious agent
> has been poking at it causing so many of those processes to be running
> that it has browned out that system too.

FTR, most of those processes om debbugs.gnu.org were started Apr
16. Perhaps this helps you during analysis.

> Bob

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: https://debbugs.gnu.org and searching ..
@ 2024-04-26 12:04 Harald Kirsch
From: Harald Kirsch @ 2024-04-26 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Alfred M. Szmidt initiated this thread after a report of mine on mastodon.

FYI: 20 minutes ago I tried again after I heard about:

 > There were too many estmaster processes running in parallel, which
 > blocked each other. I've killed them.

But no change, this is the url:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs

1st try: didn‘t measure, but ~ 1min
2nd try: other browser timeout after 1min
3rd try: first browser hit reload button, got results after 3.5min
My current IP address: 84.181.8.…

(In the hope that this ends up in the correct thread by matching the
subject.)

Harald

* Re: https://debbugs.gnu.org and searching ..
@ 2024-04-27  7:44     ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2024-04-27  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: eliz, sysadmin, emacs-devel, owner

   >> It seems that searching in debbugs.gnu.org causes a 500 error.
   >>
   >> E.g., searching for "in package", and emacs.
   >
   > This should be reported to sysadmin@debbugs.gnu.org (CC'ed).

   There were too many estmaster processes running in parallel, which
   blocked each other. I've killed them.

   Please try it, again.

Now it is just very very slow, taking up to 5 minutes to produce a result.