all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting up Theme opening Tramp... I don't get it
@ 2022-09-28 18:47 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-09-28 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

I really don't understand how setting up custom theme requires
Tramp. But that is what is happening, setting up custom theme is
taking so much longer as it for some reason wants Tramp to establish
those connections in backround.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Setting up Theme opening Tramp... I don't get it
@ 2022-09-29  3:11 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-09-29  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis [2022-09-28 21:47:39] wrote:
> I really don't understand how setting up custom theme requires
> Tramp. But that is what is happening, setting up custom theme is
> taking so much longer as it for some reason wants Tramp to establish
> those connections in backround.

Oh... *those* connections!

* Re: Setting up Theme opening Tramp... I don't get it
@ 2022-09-29  8:21 ` Felix Dietrich
From: Felix Dietrich @ 2022-09-29  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Jean,

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> I really don't understand how setting up custom theme requires
> Tramp. But that is what is happening, setting up custom theme is
> taking so much longer as it for some reason wants Tramp to establish
> those connections in backround.

Could you try setting an offending custom theme in a pristine Emacs,
that is one started with "-Q" or, maybe, with a new user account created
for testing, then see if the problem persists.

--
Felix Dietrich

* Re: Setting up Theme opening Tramp... I don't get it
@ 2022-10-04 10:28   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-10-04 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-09-29 06:21]:
> Jean Louis [2022-09-28 21:47:39] wrote:
> > I really don't understand how setting up custom theme requires
> > Tramp. But that is what is happening, setting up custom theme is
> > taking so much longer as it for some reason wants Tramp to establish
> > those connections in backround.
>
> Oh... *those* connections!
>

>         Stefan

That one above I cannot understand.

It is disturbing that by doing:

1. any Tramp connection

2. Doing other work for hours or days not being disturbed by Tramp
   connections or its buffers;

3. That by M-x customize-themes and selecting one of themes I have to
   wait longer time until Tramp connections have been maybe
   re-established, I cannot know what:

Tramp: Opening connection nil for admin@static using scp...done
Tramp: Opening connection nil for motorolausb using scp...done
Tramp: Opening connection nil for admin@room using scp...done

Those 2 activities, selecting teheme and Tramp connections are not by
common sense related to each other.

Question is why user who needs to change the theme need to wait for
Tramp connections?

--

@ 2022-10-04 10:35   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-10-04 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Dietrich; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Felix Dietrich <felix.dietrich@sperrhaken.name> [2022-09-29 11:21]:
> Hello Jean,
>
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > I really don't understand how setting up custom theme requires
> > Tramp. But that is what is happening, setting up custom theme is
> > taking so much longer as it for some reason wants Tramp to establish
> > those connections in backround.
>
> Could you try setting an offending custom theme in a pristine Emacs,
> that is one started with "-Q" or, maybe, with a new user account created
> for testing, then see if the problem persists.

I cannot know if that is something that happens after longer time of
using Tramp.

I have been changing themes and they do not invoke Tramp in
background.

Then sometimes it invokes Tramp in background.

When trying with `emacs -Q' I do not see that. Neither I see that more
often, but sometimes it comes with my Emacs settings. I do not change
anything in themes, in fact I use only GNU ELPA themes.

Another disturbing issue with themes settings that if I was in sshfs
mounted directory, if that directory is not any more, then I get this
error:

apply: Setting current directory: No such file or directory, ~/room/admin/shared/Dewi Nyake/Old Cartoons/

I know that by {M-x cd RET} I am changing current directory normally
to "~/", though it does not help the buffer to recognize it.