all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how can I get back to the dired buffer after closing the file buffer opened by dired?
@ 2017-10-28 16:09 Amos Bird
From: Amos Bird @ 2017-10-28 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,

When opening a file in dired via RET and close, emacs ends up in a
buffer other than previous dired
buffer. How can I get back to the dired buffer after closing the
file buffer opened by dired?

regards,
--
Amos Bird
amosbird@gmail.com

* Re: how can I get back to the dired buffer after closing the file buffer opened by dired?
       [not found] <mailman.2400.1509206973.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2017-10-28 16:24 ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2017-10-28 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-10-28, Amos Bird <amosbird@gmail.com> wrote:

> When opening a file in dired via RET and close, emacs ends up in a
> buffer other than previous dired
> buffer. How can I get back to the dired buffer after closing the
> file buffer opened by dired?

Try opening emacs directly into dired.  Then, all "close" (except
close emacs (C-x C-c), commands will bring you back to a dired screen.

I open my Slackware emacs (Gnu Emacs 24.3-no-X11) with:

dired /

Then, all other features work, but they all go back to dired upon
closing.  Otherwise, you are likely to end up on a "scratch" screen.

nb

* Re: how can I get back to the dired buffer after closing the file buffer opened by dired?
@ 2017-10-29 21:37 ` Anast Gramm
From: Anast Gramm @ 2017-10-29 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amos Bird; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 171029 00:09:24, Amos Bird wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When opening a file in dired via RET and close, emacs ends up in a buffer
> other than previous dired
> buffer. How can I get back to the dired buffer after closing the file buffer
> opened by dired?

Hey,

When you open something using RET it replaces the current dired buffer you are on.
Try opening the file up with 'a' (the default).
This opens a new buffer with your selection.

So:
RET     replaces current dired buffer with selection
a       opens a new buffer with selection

* Re: how can I get back to the dired buffer after closing the file buffer opened by dired?
@ 2017-10-30  1:41   ` Amos Bird
From: Amos Bird @ 2017-10-30  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anast Gramm; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi Anast,

I tried opening my files via `a` which runs
dired-find-alternate-file. However it still doesn't
bring back the dired buffer when closing.

regards,

@ 2017-10-31  0:49     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2017-10-31  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amos Bird, help-gnu-emacs

Amos Bird wrote:
> I tried opening my files via `a` which runs dired-find-alternate-file.

Unfortunately 'a' probably was confused with 'f' as they do related by
opposite things.  Probably the suggestion was intended to suggest 'f'
instead.  Using 'a' replaces the dired buffer with the new file.  That
is the opposite of what you want.

However 'f' does exactly the same as RET bound to dired-find-file and
so will work the same.

For me both RET and 'f' are bound to dired-find-file and both of those
stack a new buffer.  When I kill the buffer of the file I am returned
to the previous buffer, including the dired buffer.  What you are
asking for is the behavior I have always seen and currently see.

What version of emacs are you running?  Please test the behavior using
'emacs -q' and 'emacs -Q' and see if the problem persists.  Those
avoid loading your own or any initialization.  Quite often problems
are due to customization.  That will test if the problem is in the
project or in the customization.

Bob

* Re: how can I get back to the dired buffer after closing the file buffer opened by dired?
@ 2017-10-31  1:51       ` Amos Bird
From: Amos Bird @ 2017-10-31  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Proulx; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Bob,

Thanks! It is due to some package that overrides
`kill-this-buffer'.

regards,

--
Amos Bird