all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#14807: 24.3; Enhancement request: let options in customize group buffers to start out visible
@ 2013-07-06 20:49 Raffaele Ricciardi
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2013-07-06 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 14807

According to "M-x view-emacs-news"

"*** Options in customize group buffers start out hidden if not
customized.  Use the arrow to the left of the option name to toggle
visibility."

Would it be possible to make such behaviour customizable for users
that would prefer the old behaviour?  The old behaviour let users
check quickly what the behaviour of a package was supposed to be,
according to the value of its various options.  The new behaviour
requires users to click on each option to get a glimpse of what to
expect from a mode.  My guess is that the new behaviour aims to lessen
the possibility of accidental edits, but that is not an issue with
more experienced users.

Thank you for your attention.

Best Regards.

* bug#14807: 24.3; Enhancement request: let options in customize group buffers to start out visible
@ 2022-05-10 13:44 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-10 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raffaele Ricciardi; +Cc: 14807

Raffaele Ricciardi <rfflrccrd@gmail.com> writes:

> "*** Options in customize group buffers start out hidden if not
> customized.  Use the arrow to the left of the option name to toggle
> visibility."
>
> Would it be possible to make such behaviour customizable for users
> that would prefer the old behaviour?  The old behaviour let users
> check quickly what the behaviour of a package was supposed to be,
> according to the value of its various options.  The new behaviour
> requires users to click on each option to get a glimpse of what to
> expect from a mode.  My guess is that the new behaviour aims to lessen
> the possibility of accidental edits, but that is not an issue with
> more experienced users.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

Many customization groups are very large, and some of the widgets take
up a lot of space.  So in my opinion, a user option like this wouldn't
be used by a lot of people, so it's not worth adding, and I'm therefore
closing this bug report.