all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Calculator vs Calc
@ 2023-09-14 12:00 Maske
From: Maske @ 2023-09-14 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I am interesting in understanding Calc. I have started reading the calc
manual.
But, I can see that exist Calc.el and Calculator.el. Is there a
relationship between calc.el and calculator.el. Or are completely different?

Best regards

* Re: Calculator vs Calc
@ 2023-09-14 12:23 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2023-09-14 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maske; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am interesting in understanding Calc. I have started reading the
> calc manual.
> But, I can see that exist Calc.el and Calculator.el. Is there a
> relationship between calc.el and calculator.el. Or are completely
> different?

They are two separate implementations of a calculator in Emacs.  The
former is more powerful and popular and uses a RPN interface, while
calculator is simpler but probably easier to understand, depending on
how much you like RPN calculators.

> Best regards

* Re: Calculator vs Calc
@ 2023-09-14 12:34 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-09-14 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, 14 Sep 2023 at 14:00, Maske wrote:
> Is there a relationship between calc.el and calculator.el. Or are
> completely different?

I do not believe there is any relationship between the two.  The
calculator is just what it says on the tin: a calculator.  Calc, on the
other hand, is much more: it is a computer algebra system which means it
can work symbolically with variables etc.  Calc, however, can be used as
just a "calculator" so I would recommend learning Calc as it gives you
everything.  However, calculator may be easier to get up to speed with.
Depends on what you want to achieve longer term.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-09-14) on Debian 12.1