all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#70562: Trouble using Vim under Emacs's ansi-term
@ 2024-04-24 17:42 C.J.S. Hayward
From: C.J.S. Hayward @ 2024-04-24 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 70562

I have Emacs 21 as installed from Linux Mint Victoria.

I am a long-time Vim user interested in a proportional font terminal, such as is mostly provided by Emacs Evil mode or local or (ssh) remote Vim, but I have experienced consistent issues using vim under Emacs's ansi-term.

I haven't been able to pin down that if you edit a particular document and attempt a particular set of keystrokes, issues arise. However, I have had issues with Emacs thinking it is one line higher or lower than it really is, so that commenting out a line of JavaScript comments out a different line from what the user intended (and what it appears), and random freezing.

I believe that if you have a volunteer who is comfortable using Vim, and ask said user to use Vim under Emacs's ansi-term for half an hour (I have not been able to discern different behavior between local Vim processes and those ssh'ed into a Linux server), the odd behaviors I have experienced will be reproduced. Based on my own experience, I believe some inappropriate behavior will probably be noticeable in 2-5 minutes, but I mention half an hour as adding slop.

Thanks,

Unworthy Br. Christos Hayward (really, thou / thee / thy / thine), novice at St. Demetrios Orthodox Monastery.

Most recent posting: A Note to Single Evangelical Women

Websites:

C.J.S. Hayward: Official Author Site (Bookshelf)Official Substack
Orthodox Church Fathers
The Powered Access Bible
Scrolls of Wonder

* bug#70562: Trouble using Vim under Emacs's ansi-term
@ 2024-04-25  6:59 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-04-25  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C.J.S. Hayward; +Cc: 70562

"C.J.S. Hayward" <cjsh@cjshayward.com> writes:

> I have Emacs 21 as installed from Linux Mint Victoria.

Do I understand correctly, that you are using Emacs 21, released
somewhere between 2001 and 2005?

> I am a long-time Vim user interested in a proportional font terminal,
> such as is mostly provided by Emacs Evil mode or local or (ssh) remote
> Vim, but I have experienced consistent issues using vim under Emacs's
> ansi-term.
>
> I haven't been able to pin down that if you edit a particular document
> and attempt a particular set of keystrokes, issues arise. However, I
> have had issues with Emacs thinking it is one line higher or lower
> than it really is, so that commenting out a line of JavaScript
> comments out a different line from what the user intended (and what it
> appears), and random freezing.
>
> I believe that if you have a volunteer who is comfortable using Vim,
> and ask said user to use Vim under Emacs's ansi-term for half an hour
> (I have not been able to discern different behavior between local Vim
> processes and those ssh'ed into a Linux server), the odd behaviors I
> have experienced will be reproduced. Based on my own experience, I
> believe some inappropriate behavior will probably be noticeable in 2-5
> minutes, but I mention half an hour as adding slop.

I am comfortable enough with vi(m) and I tried out some non-trivial text
manipulation but couldn't notice anything wrong.  If you are actually
using Emacs 21, then it might be that in the ~20 years since its release
the bugs causing the issues you have been having have been resolved?  I
would also recommend trying out the ELPA package "eat" as an alternative
terminal emulator, but that would also require a newer version of Emacs.

--
	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine

* bug#70562: Trouble using Vim under Emacs's ansi-term
@ 2024-05-09  7:18   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-05-09  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: 70562, cjsh

Ping!  Christos, could you please answer Philip's questions, and
perhaps try a newer version of Emacs?

@ 2024-05-09  8:04     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-05-09  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 70562, cjsh

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Ping!  Christos, could you please answer Philip's questions, and
> perhaps try a newer version of Emacs?

Christos responded to my message, but I once again failed to notice that
he didn't CC the mailing list.  Turns out that he was using Emacs 27.1:

My apologies; I was confusing Emacs with another package that had come up in my searching.

Help -> About Emacs gives,

GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-08-16, modified by Debian

I recommended trying out eat to see if it is any better.  All in all I
regard the issue as resolved.

@ 2024-05-09  9:39       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-05-09  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: cjsh, 70562-done

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: cjsh@cjshayward.com,  70562@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 09 May 2024 08:04:42 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Ping!  Christos, could you please answer Philip's questions, and
> > perhaps try a newer version of Emacs?
>
> Christos responded to my message, but I once again failed to notice that
> he didn't CC the mailing list.  Turns out that he was using Emacs 27.1:

> My apologies; I was confusing Emacs with another package that had come up in my searching.
>
> Help -> About Emacs gives,
>
> GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0)
>  of 2023-08-16, modified by Debian
>
> I recommended trying out eat to see if it is any better.  All in all I
> regard the issue as resolved.

Thanks, done.