all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Making Menu Bar with an About Buffer
@ 2022-10-16 21:36 Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-10-16 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Have seen that Emacs has "About Emacs" and "About Gnu". I would like to do the same with a new "Menu Bar"
called "Gundit" where there is "About Gundit" which prints about Gundit in a dedicated buffer.

How can this be done?

* Re: Making Menu Bar with an About Buffer
@ 2022-10-20 21:09 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-10-20 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-10-17 00:38]:
> Have seen that Emacs has "About Emacs" and "About Gnu". I would like to do the same with a new "Menu Bar"
> called "Gundit" where there is "About Gundit" which prints about Gundit in a dedicated buffer.
>
> How can this be done?

You define function and add it to menu.

My function below uses about: hyperlinks, it decides what to display.

I have defined "about:" hyperlink in `browse-url-handlers' to be:

   '(("gemini:" . elpher-go)
     ("gopher:" . elpher-handler-go)
     ("about:" . hyperscope-about)
     ("hyperscope:" . hyperscope-go)
     ("e2dk://" . amule-handler)))

Then this function is showing About, it has Hyperlinks underline where
it says about:

(defun hyperscope-about (&rest what)
  (interactive)
  (let* ((what (if (eql 'cons (type-of what))
		   (car what)
		 what))
	 (what (if (null what) "about:hyperscope" what)))
    (cond ((string= what "about:hyperscope") (hyperscope-text-view "
	 Hyperscope - Dynamic Knowledge Repository for Emacs
                           about:emacs
                           about:emacs-fancy
                           about:hyperscope
"))
	  ((string= what "about:emacs") (about-emacs))
	  ((string= what "about:emacs-fancy") (fancy-about-screen))
	  (t (hyperscope-text-view "Maybe you wish to read about:hyperscope")))))

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Making Menu Bar with an About Buffer
@ 2022-10-21  3:05   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-21  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

>     (cond ((string= what "about:hyperscope") (hyperscope-text-view "
> 	 ===================================================
> 	 Hyperscope - Dynamic Knowledge Repository for Emacs
> 	 ===================================================
>                            about:emacs
>                            about:emacs-fancy
>                            about:hyperscope
> "))

What, it looks like that in the source?

That could be automated with variables and not hardcoded ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Making Menu Bar with an About Buffer
@ 2022-10-22 14:05     ` Dr Rainer Woitok
From: Dr Rainer Woitok @ 2022-10-22 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel,

On Friday, 2022-10-21 05:05:56 +0200, you wrote:

> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >     (cond ((string= what "about:hyperscope") (hyperscope-text-view "
> > 	 ===================================================
> > 	 Hyperscope - Dynamic Knowledge Repository for Emacs
> > 	 ===================================================
> >                            about:emacs
> >                            about:emacs-fancy
> >                            about:hyperscope
> > "))
>
> What, it looks like that in the source?
>
> That could be automated with variables and not hardcoded ...

Don't you think its better to use electrons ONCE when this string is de-
signed rather than EVERYTIME when someone is looking at it?

Sincerely,
  Rainer

* Re: Making Menu Bar with an About Buffer
@ 2022-10-24  2:54       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-24  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:

>>>    (cond ((string= what "about:hyperscope") (hyperscope-text-view "
>>> 	 ===================================================
>>> 	 Hyperscope - Dynamic Knowledge Repository for Emacs
>>> 	 ===================================================
>>>                            about:emacs
>>>                            about:emacs-fancy
>>>                            about:hyperscope
>>> "))
>>
>> What, it looks like that in the source?
>>
>> That could be automated with variables and not hardcoded ...
>
> Don't you think its better to use electrons ONCE when this
> string is de- signed rather than EVERYTIME when someone is
> looking at it?

Nope, because that also means instead of doing it once and
forever getting it right everytime someone does it we will
have the same (poor) situation ...

And, if you are concerned for the electrons, a program can
store the result in a variable once just as well as any human
can storing it in hard-coded code (actually better, because
then checks can be made the input makes sense).