all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help debugging problem with Magit Forge
@ 2023-06-05 19:53 Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2023-06-05 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I wonder if anybody could give some advice on how to debug a problem I'm
having with Magit and Forge.

I set it up today, and all is working find for repositories in GitHub
and GitLab. At our institution we also have a private GitLab server, and
it looks like at some point I managed to make it work no problem,
because I have a list of issues from that repository that I can see, but
now, whenever I try to fetch topics, it looks like nothing is actually
fetched from the server, but I have no idea where to look for
problems.

Perhaps there is a way to clean all forge information for this private
server and start all over again?

Any help/advice/pointers appreciated
--
Ángel de Vicente                 -- (GPG: 0x64D9FDAE7CD5E939)
 Research Software Engineer (Supercomputing and BigData)

* Re: Help debugging problem with Magit Forge
@ 2023-06-06 19:43 ` Daniel Fleischer
From: Daniel Fleischer @ 2023-06-06 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Angel de Vicente [2023-06-05 Mon 20:53] wrote:

> I wonder if anybody could give some advice on how to debug a problem I'm
> having with Magit and Forge.
>
> Perhaps there is a way to clean all forge information for this private
> server and start all over again?

For cleaning, you can remove the DB at (default location)
    ~/.emacs.d/forge-database.sqlite

It is probably safe™ do that, because the DB contains copied data from
the forges.

In terms of the issue, authentication is done via access tokens and they
could have an expiration date; perhaps the token was expired so you no
longer can access the server.

If you want more support, you can also try the project's issues page at

    https://github.com/magit/forge/issues

It's quite active.

--
Daniel Fleischer

* Re: Help debugging problem with Magit Forge
@ 2023-06-07  8:12   ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2023-06-07  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Daniel,

Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> writes:

> Angel de Vicente [2023-06-05 Mon 20:53] wrote:

> For cleaning, you can remove the DB at (default location)
>     ~/.emacs.d/forge-database.sqlite
>
> It is probably safe™ do that, because the DB contains copied data from
> the forges.

Thanks. I found that there is also the command "forge-remove-repository"
which cleans the database but only for that given repository. With that,
I can start all over again without problems.

> In terms of the issue, authentication is done via access tokens and they
> could have an expiration date; perhaps the token was expired so you no
> longer can access the server.
>
> If you want more support, you can also try the project's issues page at
>
>     https://github.com/magit/forge/issues

The token itself is OK, since I do forge-remove-repository, start all
over again and have no problems. It seems like some sort of timeout, but
very brief one (it gives trouble in about a couple of minutes if I don't
continuously keep refreshing the topics, I *think*).

Since I'm not sure it is an issue with Forge itself or something on my
side, I opened yesterday a discussion at:
https://github.com/magit/forge/discussions/582

Hopefully somebody can chime in and shed some light.