all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"
@ 2023-08-10  7:48 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-08-10  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 65196

After upgrading Debian from 11 to 12, gnus-group-make-nnir-group always
says that the search group contains no messages, even though there are
in fact messages in the original group which contain the string searched
for.

In *Messages* somethin like the following will appear:

  Opening server fu_exchange
  Searching nnimap+fu_exchange:HPC...done
  Group nnselect:nnselect-87jzu3z7wb.fsf contains no messages

The configuration in init.el is as follows:

  (setq user-mail-address "loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de")

  (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

  (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.fu-berlin.de"))
  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        (quote
         ((nnimap "fu_exchange"
                  (nnir-search-engine imap)
                  (remove-prefix "nnimap")
                  (nnimap-address "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
                  (nnimap-record-commands t)
                  (nnimap-inbox INBOX)
                  (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente")))))

The same problem occurs with nntp groups (not configured in this test).

Unfortunately that is all the information I can provide, although I can
see that it is probably insufficient to identify the problem.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-05-14, modified by Debian built on x86-ubc-01
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/28.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mPr7Vr/emacs-28.2+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug gnus-ml disp-table nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe find-func mailalias smtpmail sendmail sort
gnus-cite mail-extr cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh utf-7 gnutls nnfolder
cl-extra help-mode network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cus-edit pp
cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib chemacs iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 222225 16769)
 (symbols 48 16178 6)
 (strings 32 51312 3558)
 (string-bytes 1 1619808)
 (vectors 16 26937)
 (vector-slots 8 523214 20757)
 (floats 8 255 68)
 (intervals 56 524 0)
 (buffers 992 20))

* bug#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"
@ 2023-08-12  6:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-08-12  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett, Andrew G Cohen; +Cc: 65196

> From: Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de>
> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:48:53 +0200
>

> After upgrading Debian from 11 to 12, gnus-group-make-nnir-group always
> says that the search group contains no messages, even though there are
> in fact messages in the original group which contain the string searched
> for.
>
> In *Messages* somethin like the following will appear:
>
>   Opening server fu_exchange
>   Searching nnimap+fu_exchange:HPC...done
>   Group nnselect:nnselect-87jzu3z7wb.fsf contains no messages
>
> The configuration in init.el is as follows:
>
>   (setq user-mail-address "loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de")
>
>   (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>   (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
>   (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
>
>   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.fu-berlin.de"))
>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>         (quote
>          ((nnimap "fu_exchange"
>                   (nnir-search-engine imap)
>                   (remove-prefix "nnimap")
>                   (nnimap-address "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
>                   (nnimap-record-commands t)
>                   (nnimap-inbox INBOX)
>                   (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente")))))
>
> The same problem occurs with nntp groups (not configured in this test).
>
> Unfortunately that is all the information I can provide, although I can
> see that it is probably insufficient to identify the problem.

Andrew, any comments?  Is this perhaps already fixed in Emacs 29?

* bug#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"
@ 2023-08-14  7:55   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-08-14  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Andrew G Cohen, 65196

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de>
>> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:48:53 +0200
>>

>> After upgrading Debian from 11 to 12, gnus-group-make-nnir-group always
>> says that the search group contains no messages, even though there are
>> in fact messages in the original group which contain the string searched
>> for.
>>
>> In *Messages* somethin like the following will appear:
>>
>>   Opening server fu_exchange
>>   Searching nnimap+fu_exchange:HPC...done
>>   Group nnselect:nnselect-87jzu3z7wb.fsf contains no messages
>>
>> The configuration in init.el is as follows:
>>
>>   (setq user-mail-address "loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de")
>>
>>   (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>>   (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
>>   (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
>>
>>   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.fu-berlin.de"))
>>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>         (quote
>>          ((nnimap "fu_exchange"
>>                   (nnir-search-engine imap)
>>                   (remove-prefix "nnimap")
>>                   (nnimap-address "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
>>                   (nnimap-record-commands t)
>>                   (nnimap-inbox INBOX)
>>                   (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente")))))
>>
>> The same problem occurs with nntp groups (not configured in this test).
>>
>> Unfortunately that is all the information I can provide, although I can
>> see that it is probably insufficient to identify the problem.
>
> Andrew, any comments?  Is this perhaps already fixed in Emacs 29?

Further investigation reveal that this is not a general issue, but is
related to the specific select methods.

For my work setup I actually have, in addition to the settings above

  (nntp "fu_news"
        (nntp-address "news.fu-berlin.de")
	(remove-prefix nntp)
	(gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente")))

Searching in newgroups subscribe to via the above also always returns no
messages.

However, in my private setup I have various email providers, such as GMX:

         (nnimap "gmx"
                  (nnimap-stream tls)
                  (remove-prefix "nnimap.")
                  (nnimap-record-commands t)
                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com"))

If I add this to my work setup, search results within folders in the GMX
account *do* produce results.  Searching within the Exchange folder or the
NNTP groups still fails.

Is there anything I can do to help debug the problem?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Herr/Mr)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin

* bug#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"
@ 2023-08-14 16:46     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-08-14 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Andrew G Cohen, 65196

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de>
>>> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:48:53 +0200
>>>

>>> After upgrading Debian from 11 to 12, gnus-group-make-nnir-group always
>>> says that the search group contains no messages, even though there are
>>> in fact messages in the original group which contain the string searched
>>> for.
>>>
>>> In *Messages* somethin like the following will appear:
>>>
>>>   Opening server fu_exchange
>>>   Searching nnimap+fu_exchange:HPC...done
>>>   Group nnselect:nnselect-87jzu3z7wb.fsf contains no messages
>>>
>>> The configuration in init.el is as follows:
>>>
>>>   (setq user-mail-address "loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de")
>>>
>>>   (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>>>   (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
>>>   (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
>>>
>>>   (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.fu-berlin.de"))
>>>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>>         (quote
>>>          ((nnimap "fu_exchange"
>>>                   (nnir-search-engine imap)
>>>                   (remove-prefix "nnimap")
>>>                   (nnimap-address "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")
>>>                   (nnimap-record-commands t)
>>>                   (nnimap-inbox INBOX)
>>>                   (gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente")))))
>>>
>>> The same problem occurs with nntp groups (not configured in this test).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately that is all the information I can provide, although I can
>>> see that it is probably insufficient to identify the problem.
>>
>> Andrew, any comments?  Is this perhaps already fixed in Emacs 29?
>
> Further investigation reveal that this is not a general issue, but is
> related to the specific select methods.
>
> For my work setup I actually have, in addition to the settings above
>
>   (nntp "fu_news"
>         (nntp-address "news.fu-berlin.de")
> 	(remove-prefix nntp)
> 	(gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente")))
>
> Searching in newgroups subscribe to via the above also always returns no
> messages.
>
> However, in my private setup I have various email providers, such as GMX:
>
>          (nnimap "gmx"
>                   (nnimap-stream tls)
>                   (remove-prefix "nnimap.")
>                   (nnimap-record-commands t)
>                   (nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com"))
>
> If I add this to my work setup, search results within folders in the GMX
> account *do* produce results.  Searching within the Exchange folder or the
> NNTP groups still fails.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help debug the problem?

For the exchange server, you should just remove the `nnir-search-engine`
setting from the definition, it should work find by default.

I don't believe search works for nntp at all -- did it used to?

* bug#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"
@ 2023-08-15  7:12       ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-08-15  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Andrew G Cohen, 65196

>>> Andrew, any comments?  Is this perhaps already fixed in Emacs 29?
>>
>> Further investigation reveal that this is not a general issue, but is
>> related to the specific select methods.
>>
>> For my work setup I actually have, in addition to the settings above
>>
>>   (nntp "fu_news"
>>         (nntp-address "news.fu-berlin.de")
>> 	(remove-prefix nntp)
>> 	(gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+fu_exchange:Gesendete Elemente")))
>>
>> Searching in newgroups subscribe to via the above also always returns no
>> messages.
>>
>> However, in my private setup I have various email providers, such as GMX:
>>
>>          (nnimap "gmx"
>>                   (nnimap-stream tls)
>>                   (remove-prefix "nnimap.")
>>                   (nnimap-record-commands t)
>>                   (nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com"))
>>
>> If I add this to my work setup, search results within folders in the GMX
>> account *do* produce results.  Searching within the Exchange folder or the
>> NNTP groups still fails.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to help debug the problem?
>
> For the exchange server, you should just remove the `nnir-search-engine`
> setting from the definition, it should work find by default.
>
> I don't believe search works for nntp at all -- did it used to?

Hmm, perhaps you are right.  Maybe it never did.  It certainly doesn't
work on a third laptop with Emacs 27.1.  Perhaps I am just confusing
newsgroups and mailing lists (and mailing list posing as newsgroups via
Gmane) and it was actually just working for the mailing lists.

With init.el containing just

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.fu-berlin.de"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      (quote
       ((nnimap "gmx"
                (nnimap-stream tls)
                (nnimap-address "imap.gmx.com"))
	(nnimap "fu_exchange"
                (nnimap-stream tls)
		(nnimap-address "mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de")))))
(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(gnus-verbose 10))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

Searching within the GMX mailbox works but not in a newsgroup and the
Exchange mailbox.  The following is shown in *Messages*:

Opening server gmx
Searching nnimap+gmx:Family...done
Fetching headers for nnselect:nnselect-871qg4g5d5.fsf...
nnimap read 0k from imap.gmx.com
Fetching headers for nnselect:nnselect-871qg4g5d5.fsf...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Retrieving newsgroup: nnselect:nnselect-87zg2seqsg.fsf...
Opening server fu_exchange
Searching nnimap+fu_exchange:HPC...done
Group nnselect:nnselect-87zg2seqsg.fsf contains no messages
previous-line: Beginning of buffer
Retrieving newsgroup: nnselect:nnselect-87y1iceqsc.fsf...
nnselect-run: gnus-search-run-query on ((search-query-spec (query . emacs) (raw)) (search-group-spec (nntp:news.fu-berlin.de comp.emacs))) gave error (gnus-search-config-error gnus-search-config-error No search engine configured for nntp:news.fu-berlin.de)
Group nnselect:nnselect-87y1iceqsc.fsf contains no messages

So I seem to be missing a search engine for the newsgroup, but as we
have established, that probably never worked.  However, the search in
the Exchange mailbox just fails without further information, and that
definitely did used to work.

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under constuction.

* bug#65196: 28.2; gnus-group-make-nnir-group always returns "no messages"
@ 2023-08-16 14:08         ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-08-16 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Andrew G Cohen, 65196

> [...]

> Generating summary...done
> Retrieving newsgroup: nnselect:nnselect-87zg2seqsg.fsf...
> Opening server fu_exchange
> Searching nnimap+fu_exchange:HPC...done
> Group nnselect:nnselect-87zg2seqsg.fsf contains no messages
> previous-line: Beginning of buffer
> Retrieving newsgroup: nnselect:nnselect-87y1iceqsc.fsf...
> nnselect-run: gnus-search-run-query on ((search-query-spec (query . emacs) (raw)) (search-group-spec (nntp:news.fu-berlin.de comp.emacs))) gave error (gnus-search-config-error gnus-search-config-error No search engine configured for nntp:news.fu-berlin.de)
> Group nnselect:nnselect-87y1iceqsc.fsf contains no messages
>
> So I seem to be missing a search engine for the newsgroup, but as we
> have established, that probably never worked.  However, the search in
> the Exchange mailbox just fails without further information, and that

Apparently Exchange does not like the character set being used.  This is
the error message that Exchange generates:

  SEARCH CHARSET UTF-8 TEXT hpc,"R=""6487 NO [BADCHARSET (US-ASCII)] The specified charset is not supported."

I don't quite understand the error, as I would not think US-ASCII was a
bad charset.  I assume it is more likely that my using a locale with

  LANG=en_US.utf8

might be the problem.  This may have been different before I updated
Debian.

If I search for a string such as "Bestätigung" in a folder belonging to
the GMX mail box, this also erroneously produces an empty result set.

So it looks like it is not an actually problem with Gnus as such.

Cheers,

Loris

--

@ 2023-08-17  9:02           ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-08-17  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Andrew G Cohen, 65196

> [...]

>> the Exchange mailbox just fails without further information, and that
>> definitely did used to work.
>
> Apparently Exchange does not like the character set being used.  This is
> the error message that Exchange generates:
>
>   SEARCH CHARSET UTF-8 TEXT hpc,"R=""6487 NO [BADCHARSET (US-ASCII)] The specified charset is not supported."
>
> I don't quite understand the error, as I would not think US-ASCII was a
> bad charset.  I assume it is more likely that my using a locale with
>
>   LANG=en_US.utf8
>
> might be the problem.  This may have been different before I updated
> Debian.
>
> If I search for a string such as "Bestätigung" in a folder belonging to
> the GMX mail box, this also erroneously produces an empty result set.
>
> So it looks like it is not an actually problem with Gnus as such.

The problem seems to have been resolved by Eric here:

  https://www.mail-archive.com/info-gnus-english@gnu.org/msg14117.html

This works for me.

Did the change make it into Gnus?

Anyway, thanks for the solution!

Cheers,

Loris

--

@ 2023-08-18  8:21             ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2023-08-18  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Andrew G Cohen, 65196

> [...]

>>> the Exchange mailbox just fails without further information, and that
>>> definitely did used to work.
>>
>> Apparently Exchange does not like the character set being used.  This is
>> the error message that Exchange generates:
>>
>>   SEARCH CHARSET UTF-8 TEXT hpc,"R=""6487 NO [BADCHARSET (US-ASCII)] The specified charset is not supported."
>>
>> I don't quite understand the error, as I would not think US-ASCII was a
>> bad charset.  I assume it is more likely that my using a locale with
>>
>>   LANG=en_US.utf8
>>
>> might be the problem.  This may have been different before I updated
>> Debian.
>>
>> If I search for a string such as "Bestätigung" in a folder belonging to
>> the GMX mail box, this also erroneously produces an empty result set.
>>
>> So it looks like it is not an actually problem with Gnus as such.
>
> The problem seems to have been resolved by Eric here:

I see that the change is in Emacs 29, so this issue can be closed.

Cheers,

Loris

--

@ 2023-08-19  8:36               ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-08-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: eric, cohen, 65196-done

> From: "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Andrew G Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu>,
>   <65196@debbugs.gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:21:42 +0200
>
> I see that the change is in Emacs 29, so this issue can be closed.

Done, thanks.