all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Quoting usernames for Tramp
@ 2024-01-09 16:18 Marcus Harnisch
From: Marcus Harnisch @ 2024-01-09 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all

My cloud provider uses an email address as username, so that it now
contains two “@” (at) signs. Login fails and the reason appears to be
that Tramp sees only the part up to the first “@” as user name. I tried
didn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Marcus

* Re: Quoting usernames for Tramp
@ 2024-01-09 16:48 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-01-09 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Harnisch; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Marcus Harnisch <mh-gmane@online.de> writes:

> Hi all

Hi Marcus,

> My cloud provider uses an email address as username, so that it now
> contains two “@” (at) signs. Login fails and the reason appears to be
> that Tramp sees only the part up to the first “@” as user name. I
> but that didn't seem to help.

Quoting the username in Tramp is not possible IIRC. But I haven't
checked the code.

> Any suggestions?

If you use ssh for connection, you might add a proper entry in
~/.ssh/config.

> Thank you,
> Marcus

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Quoting usernames for Tramp
@ 2024-01-09 16:59   ` Marcus Harnisch
From: Marcus Harnisch @ 2024-01-09 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Michael

Thank you for the quick reply.

On 09/01/2024 17.48, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Quoting the username in Tramp is not possible IIRC. But I haven't
> checked the code.

Would this be possible to implement? Perhaps alternatively split on last
“@” of the non-path part, rather than the first? Should I file a feature
request?

> If you use ssh for connection, you might add a proper entry in
> ~/.ssh/config.

‘davfs’ in this case.

Cheers,

@ 2024-01-10  9:16     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-01-10  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Harnisch; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Marcus Harnisch <mh-gmane@online.de> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Marcus,

>> Quoting the username in Tramp is not possible IIRC. But I haven't
>> checked the code.
>
> Would this be possible to implement? Perhaps alternatively split on
> last “@” of the non-path part, rather than the first? Should I file a
> feature request?

It looks like Tramp does this already:

(file-remote-p "/davs:user@example.com@anotherhost.com:" 'user)
=> "user@example.com"

(file-remote-p "/davs:user@example.com@anotherhost.com:" 'host)
"anotherhost.com"

So the problem must be somewhere else. Could you please run your test,
starting with

emacs -Q -l tramp --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)'

There will be a Tramp debug buffer, which you should show. Likely, it is
too large for this ML, so pls send it directly to me.

> Cheers,
> Marcus

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Quoting usernames for Tramp
@ 2024-01-10 16:50       ` Marcus Harnisch
From: Marcus Harnisch @ 2024-01-10 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Michael

On 10/01/2024 10.16, Michael Albinus wrote:
> It looks like Tramp does this already:

Thanks for checking and for debugging advice. Turns out that there must
be some Helm interaction causing this hick-up (perhaps some premature
attempts to find candidates).

davs works even better than I was hoping. If the remote has already been
mounted by GnomeVFS, Tramp doesn't even need its own password.

Thanks again for your help.

@ 2024-01-10 17:15         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-01-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Harnisch; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Marcus Harnisch <mh-gmane@online.de> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Marcus,

>> It looks like Tramp does this already:
>
> Thanks for checking and for debugging advice. Turns out that there
> must be some Helm interaction causing this hick-up (perhaps some
> premature attempts to find candidates).

If you want to avoid such trouble, you might consider setting a default
user name for the given host. See (info "(tramp) Default User")

> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Cheers,
> Marcus

Best regards, Michael.