all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Improve the error report of format
@ 2024-04-18  9:52 Martin Edström
From: Martin Edström @ 2024-04-18  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Background: I am currently trying to find out where an error "Format
specifier doesn't match argument type" is coming from.  It's a bit of a
mystery, so I thought, hey, this could be a lot easier if the error
message includes the format string that it is trying to print!  That way
it would be a simple search across a codebase.

TL;DR: can format's error message include the input string?

Thanks,

Martin

* Re: Improve the error report of format
@ 2024-04-18 11:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-18 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Edström; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Martin Edström <meedstrom@runbox.eu>
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:52:34 +0200
>

> Background: I am currently trying to find out where an error "Format
> specifier doesn't match argument type" is coming from.

It comes from editfns.c, from the function styled_format.

* Re: Improve the error report of format
@ 2024-04-18 13:46   ` Martin Edström
From: Martin Edström @ 2024-04-18 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Eli,

Thank you.  I meant where in my Elisp codebase that triggers the error
:-) I have since fixed the problem, but my proposal would still be
good for dev experience, in my opinion.

Actually my FSF assignment is pending, so I could patch editfns.c for
you.  Would you accept such a patch?

Martin Edström

@ 2024-04-18 14:17     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-18 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Edström; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Martin Edström <meedstrom@runbox.eu>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:46:20 +0200
>
> Thank you.  I meant where in my Elisp codebase that triggers the error
> :-) I have since fixed the problem, but my proposal would still be
> good for dev experience, in my opinion.
>
> Actually my FSF assignment is pending, so I could patch editfns.c for
> you.  Would you accept such a patch?

Don't see why not.  Bonus points for adding a test for this.