all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Remove MIME in Message mode when sending just text
@ 2024-04-25 15:14 BP25
From: BP25 @ 2024-04-25 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I use Message mode as opposed to Mail mode because I sometimes send
attachments. However most of the time I just send plain text messages:
then Message mode nonetheless adds the MIME headers and because I make
Rmail not display automatically the plain text part then I have to
manually click RET every time. I don't want to fix this by customising
Rmail more: how to make Message not uselessly add MIME when not required
becaue the message is just plain text?

Also, I have occasionally received some messages which looks
almost-MIME: they only have this header: Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=Utf-8 (these messages are displayed by Rmail
immediately). Shouldn't this header be absent or is this header usually
required also for non-MIME messages?

I also want to say that on these such messages (and on non-MIME
messages) then (rmail-mime) for some reason has the same effect of
(rmail-toggle-header): is this on purpose?

And instead on MIME messages, (rmail-toggle-header) and (rmail-mime)
cannot activate simultaneously but doing one undoes the other: is this
on purpose?

Finally, is it a policy of this mailing list not to reply to the sender
of the messages ("reply to all")? Because I'm not subscribed and I have
to look for replies to my messages on the public archive.

* Re: Remove MIME in Message mode when sending just text
@ 2024-04-25 16:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-25 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: BP25 <bp25@riseup.net>
> Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 16:14:17 +0100
>
> I use Message mode as opposed to Mail mode because I sometimes send
> attachments.

I also sometimes send attachments, but I do use mail-mode, because it
does support attachments: use the mail-add-attachment command to do
that.

> However most of the time I just send plain text messages:
> then Message mode nonetheless adds the MIME headers and because I make
> Rmail not display automatically the plain text part then I have to
> manually click RET every time. I don't want to fix this by customising
> Rmail more: how to make Message not uselessly add MIME when not required
> becaue the message is just plain text?

Not sure I understand: are you saying that message-mode sends plain
text body of email messages as MIME attachments?

> Also, I have occasionally received some messages which looks
> almost-MIME: they only have this header: Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset=Utf-8 (these messages are displayed by Rmail
> immediately). Shouldn't this header be absent or is this header usually
> required also for non-MIME messages?

It shouldn't matter.  Why are you bothered by that?

> I also want to say that on these such messages (and on non-MIME
> messages) then (rmail-mime) for some reason has the same effect of
> (rmail-toggle-header): is this on purpose?

That's not what I see here.  On my system, rmail-mime toggles the
display of the buttons that allow you to show/hide the various MIME
parts of the message.

> And instead on MIME messages, (rmail-toggle-header) and (rmail-mime)
> cannot activate simultaneously but doing one undoes the other: is this
> on purpose?

Yes.

> Finally, is it a policy of this mailing list not to reply to the sender
> of the messages ("reply to all")? Because I'm not subscribed and I have
> to look for replies to my messages on the public archive.

It depends on how people send responses: some send through news
gateway, others through the list server.  The local configuration of
the person who responses also affects that.