all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#64812: 29.1; Setting the default face height on startup only sometimes resizes the frame
@ 2023-07-23 20:36 Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2023-07-23 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 64812

Normally, when starting Emacs and setting the default face size, Emacs
will resize the frame so it still has the same number of columns. On
29.1, this sometimes works that way, but other times the frame pops back
to its original pixel size. To see this in action, try running the
following:

emacs -Q --eval "(progn (tool-bar-mode -1) (menu-bar-mode -1)
(set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 90))"

You might need to try this a few times before the bug happens. (The
'tool-bar-mode' and 'menu-bar-mode' calls above might not be strictly
necessary, but they seem to make the issue happen more frequently for
me.) Even when it does work, I notice that the frame's size bounces back
and forth a couple of times before settling.

When I test this on 28.2, the frame starts out at its initial size, and
then shrinks exactly once to the new, slightly smaller size.

I'm seeing this on a GNU/Linux system using X with the default
configuration, building revision 906ecf442c43da98e6b8c7488f549691901690e9.

(Sorry for only noticing this when testing the release candidate; I
normally run the development version of Emacs in a terminal, so I didn't
encounter this issue until doing some final tests of the RC. It's also
possible there's just something messed up on my system, though Emacs
28.2 does behave properly...)

* bug#64812: 29.1; Setting the default face height on startup only sometimes resizes the frame
@ 2023-07-23 21:31 ` Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2023-07-23 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 64812

On 7/23/2023 1:36 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
> Normally, when starting Emacs and setting the default face size, Emacs
> will resize the frame so it still has the same number of columns. On
> 29.1, this sometimes works that way, but other times the frame pops back
> to its original pixel size. To see this in action, try running the
> following:
>
> emacs -Q --eval "(progn (tool-bar-mode -1) (menu-bar-mode -1)
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 90))"

This is likely a dupe of bug#64809, which was filed while I was writing
this report up. (I know there's a way to merge bugs via Debbugs
commands, but I can't find seem to find documentation on this. Is there
a page I could bookmark for the future that describes the various
Debbugs commands?)

* bug#64812: 29.1; Setting the default face height on startup only sometimes resizes the frame
@ 2023-07-24 10:27   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-07-24 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: 64812

    Jim> On 7/23/2023 1:36 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
    >> Normally, when starting Emacs and setting the default face size,
    >> Emacs will resize the frame so it still has the same number of
    >> columns. On 29.1, this sometimes works that way, but other times the
    >> frame pops back to its original pixel size. To see this in action,
    >> try running the following:
    >> emacs -Q --eval "(progn (tool-bar-mode -1) (menu-bar-mode -1)
    >> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 90))"

    Jim> This is likely a dupe of bug#64809, which was filed while I was
    Jim> writing this report up. (I know there's a way to merge bugs via
    Jim> Debbugs commands, but I can't find seem to find documentation on
    Jim> this. Is there a page I could bookmark for the future that describes
    Jim> the various Debbugs commands?)

Zoomer alert! ;-) Why are you looking for a "page", when itʼs all
right there in "admin/notes/bugtracker" ?

Robert

* bug#64812: 29.1; Setting the default face height on startup only sometimes resizes the frame
@ 2023-07-24 11:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-24 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: 64812

merge 64812 64809
thanks

> Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 13:36:30 -0700
> From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
>
> Normally, when starting Emacs and setting the default face size, Emacs
> will resize the frame so it still has the same number of columns. On
> 29.1, this sometimes works that way, but other times the frame pops back
> to its original pixel size. To see this in action, try running the
> following:
>
> emacs -Q --eval "(progn (tool-bar-mode -1) (menu-bar-mode -1)
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 90))"
>
> You might need to try this a few times before the bug happens. (The
> 'tool-bar-mode' and 'menu-bar-mode' calls above might not be strictly
> necessary, but they seem to make the issue happen more frequently for
> me.) Even when it does work, I notice that the frame's size bounces back
> and forth a couple of times before settling.
>
> When I test this on 28.2, the frame starts out at its initial size, and
> then shrinks exactly once to the new, slightly smaller size.
>
> I'm seeing this on a GNU/Linux system using X with the default
> configuration, building revision 906ecf442c43da98e6b8c7488f549691901690e9.
>
> (Sorry for only noticing this when testing the release candidate; I
> normally run the development version of Emacs in a terminal, so I didn't
> encounter this issue until doing some final tests of the RC. It's also
> possible there's just something messed up on my system, though Emacs
> 28.2 does behave properly...)

This is a duplicate; merged.

* bug#64812: 29.1; Setting the default face height on startup only sometimes resizes the frame
@ 2023-07-24 11:35   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-24 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Porter; +Cc: 64812

> Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 14:31:22 -0700
> From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
>
> This is likely a dupe of bug#64809, which was filed while I was writing
> this report up. (I know there's a way to merge bugs via Debbugs
> commands, but I can't find seem to find documentation on this. Is there
> a page I could bookmark for the future that describes the various
> Debbugs commands?)

See admin/notes/bugtracker in the Emacs repository.