all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Signing message reply problem
@ 2022-10-29 23:19 Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-10-29 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I just started experimenting with signing and encrypting mail with
Gnus. For most part is working just fine, but I found a situation that
is giving me trouble. When I get an e-mail from someone who didn't sign
or encrypt their message and then I reply to their mail, I get the
following:

,----
| To: "And <and@XXX.XX>
| Subject: Re: TEST
| From: Angel de Vicente <XXXXXXXXXXXXX>
| Gcc: nnml:Correo.MAIN
| --text follows this line--
|

| "And <XXXXXXXXX> writes:
| > this message is strictly prohibited. More information:
| >
| <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
|
| --
| Ángel de Vicente
|  Research Software Engineer (Supercomputing and BigData)
|  Tel.: +34 922-605-747
|  Web.: http://research.iac.es/proyecto/polmag/
|
|  GPG: 0x8BDC390B69033F52
`----

In my .emacs file I add the following hook, so that all messages will be
signed automatically:

(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)

and that works fine for regular messages that I start or when replying
to previously signed, but if the message I reply to is not signed, then
the tag <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign> is placed in the middle of
the message, and the outgoing message is not signed.

I can certainly sign it no problems if I issue the command C-c C-m C-s,
which then positions the tag again at the beginning of the message, but
obviously I would prefer not to do it by hand, because I will most
likely forget.

Any advice/ideas?

Thanks
--
Ángel de Vicente
 Research Software Engineer (Supercomputing and BigData)
 Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (https://www.iac.es/en)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Signing message reply problem
@ 2022-10-31 13:38 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-10-31 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    Angel> In my .emacs file I add the following hook, so that all messages will be
    Angel> signed automatically:

    Angel> (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)

    Angel> and that works fine for regular messages that I start or when replying
    Angel> to previously signed, but if the message I reply to is not signed, then
    Angel> the tag <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign> is placed in the middle of
    Angel> the message, and the outgoing message is not signed.

That sounds like either a bug or a documenation issue, maybe report it
with M-x report-emacs-bug (you didnʼt mention which version of Emacs
youʼre using)

    Angel> I can certainly sign it no problems if I issue the command C-c C-m C-s,
    Angel> which then positions the tag again at the beginning of the message, but
    Angel> obviously I would prefer not to do it by hand, because I will most
    Angel> likely forget.

    Angel> Any advice/ideas?

Untested, but something like:

    (defun angel-message-setup ()
        (save-excursion
           (message-goto-body)
           (mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)))

    (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'angel-message-setup)

Robert

* Re: Signing message reply problem
@ 2022-10-31 14:00   ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-10-31 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> That sounds like either a bug or a documenation issue, maybe report it
> with M-x report-emacs-bug (you didnʼt mention which version of Emacs
> youʼre using)

Emacs version is 28.2. Will report the bug then (I have never used
'report-emacs-bug', I hope it is straightforward).

> Untested, but something like:
>
>     (defun angel-message-setup ()
>         (save-excursion
>            (message-goto-body)
>            (mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)))
>
>     (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'angel-message-setup)

Thanks, but unfortunately it behaves in the same way.

Cheers,
--
Ángel de Vicente                 -- (GPG: 0x64D9FDAE7CD5E939)

@ 2022-10-31 14:46     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-10-31 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >> That sounds like either a bug or a documenation issue, maybe report it
    >> with M-x report-emacs-bug (you didnʼt mention which version of Emacs
    >> youʼre using)

    Angel> Emacs version is 28.2. Will report the bug then (I have never used
    Angel> 'report-emacs-bug', I hope it is straightforward).

For someone who already sends mail using Emacs itʼs very easy :-)

    >> Untested, but something like:
    >>
    >> (defun angel-message-setup ()
    >> (save-excursion
    >> (message-goto-body)
    >> (mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)))
    >>
    >> (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'angel-message-setup)

    Angel> Thanks, but unfortunately it behaves in the same way.

Strange, it works for me. If you want to work out whatʼs going on you
can use `edebug-defun' and then single step through
`angel-message-setup' to see whatʼs going on.

Robert

* Re: Signing message reply problem
@ 2022-10-31 15:22       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-31 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Pluim wrote:

> For someone who already sends mail using Emacs itʼs very
> easy :-)

It will also make you a better programmer, in unexpected
ways ...

(defun gnus-article-wash-more ()
  (interactive)
  (article-translate-strings
   '(
     ;; ...
     ("ʼ" "'")
     ))
  (gnus-article-strip-multiple-blank-lines) )

(defun gnus-article-prepare-hook-f ()
  (gnus-with-article-buffer
    (gnus-article-wash-more) ))
(add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook #'gnus-article-prepare-hook-f)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Signing message reply problem
@ 2022-10-31 15:38   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-31 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Pluim wrote:

> Untested, but something like:
>
>     (defun angel-message-setup ()
>         (save-excursion
>            (message-goto-body)
>            (mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)))
>
>     (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'angel-message-setup)

What does this do in terms of security and what technology is
it we speak of?

--

@ 2022-11-01  9:52       ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-11-01  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     >> (defun angel-message-setup ()
>     >> (save-excursion
>     >> (message-goto-body)
>     >> (mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)))
>     >>
>     >> (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'angel-message-setup)
>
>     Angel> Thanks, but unfortunately it behaves in the same way.
>
> Strange, it works for me. If you want to work out whatʼs going on you
> can use `edebug-defun' and then single step through
> `angel-message-setup' to see whatʼs going on.

Maybe you were trying 'r' instead of 'R'?

I edebug'ed it and basically it goes through the function, inserts the
tag for signing the message, but afterwards it yanks the text right
after the headers, so pushing down the tag.

Which I think is what you expect from message-setup-hook: "Hook run as
the last thing when the message buffer has been initialized, but before
yanked text is inserted.". Ideally I would like to add the hook after
the yanked text is inserted, but not sure how to proceed..

Cheers,
--

@ 2022-11-02 10:33         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-11-02 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Emanuel> Robert Pluim wrote:
    >> For someone who already sends mail using Emacs itʼs very
    >> easy :-)

    Emanuel> It will also make you a better programmer, in unexpected
    Emanuel> ways ...

    Emanuel> (defun gnus-article-wash-more ()
    Emanuel>   (interactive)
    Emanuel>   (article-translate-strings
    Emanuel>    '(
    Emanuel>      ;; ...
    Emanuel>      ("ʼ" "'")
    Emanuel>      ))
    Emanuel>   (gnus-article-strip-multiple-blank-lines) )

    Emanuel> (defun gnus-article-prepare-hook-f ()
    Emanuel>   (gnus-with-article-buffer
    Emanuel>     (gnus-article-wash-more) ))
    Emanuel> (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook #'gnus-article-prepare-hook-f)

Does your terminal not like 'ʼ'?

Robert

* Re: Signing message reply problem
@ 2022-11-02 10:38         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-11-02 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    Angel> Maybe you were trying 'r' instead of 'R'?

possibly

    Angel> I edebug'ed it and basically it goes through the function, inserts the
    Angel> tag for signing the message, but afterwards it yanks the text right
    Angel> after the headers, so pushing down the tag.

    Angel> Which I think is what you expect from message-setup-hook: "Hook run as
    Angel> the last thing when the message buffer has been initialized, but before
    Angel> yanked text is inserted.". Ideally I would like to add the hook after
    Angel> the yanked text is inserted, but not sure how to proceed..

Right. You might have more luck with `mail-citation-hook' instead.

Robert

* Re: Signing message reply problem
@ 2022-11-02 13:10           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-02 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Pluim wrote:

> Does your terminal not like '''?

The apostrophe?

  $ ascii \'
  ASCII 2/7 is decimal 039, hex 27, octal 047, bits 00100111: prints as `''
  Official name: Apostrophe
  Other names: Single Quote, Close Quote, Prime, Tick, Pop, Spark, Glitch, &apos;

On the contrary, it's the prefered one ...

ascii(1), written by Eric Raymond in 1990 BTW ...

--

@ 2022-11-02 22:06 ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2022-11-02 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Angel de Vicente <angel.vicente.garrido@gmail.com> writes:

> (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)

Solved by changing it to:
(add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)

Cheers,
--

@ 2022-11-03 11:15             ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-11-03 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Emanuel> Robert Pluim wrote:
    >> Does your terminal not like '''?

    Emanuel> The apostrophe?

You see, your washing has created confusion, because I wrote U+02BC
MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE, not U+0027 APOSTROPHE. But you knew that
:-)

Robert

* Supportet browsers in  browse-url.elc
@ 2022-11-30 10:46               ` Alexandros Prekates
From: Alexandros Prekates @ 2022-11-30 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In emacs 27.1 taking a look at the code of  browse-url-default-browser
it seems that it runs through a list of hardcoded options.

So there is a supported list of browsers.

Is there a certain interface that a browser must have in order
to being supported by browse-url.elc ?

Alexandros Prekates

* Re: Supportet browsers in  browse-url.elc
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-11-30 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 10:46:11 +0000
> From: Alexandros Prekates <aprekates@posteo.net>
>
> In emacs 27.1 taking a look at the code of  browse-url-default-browser
> it seems that it runs through a list of hardcoded options.
>
> So there is a supported list of browsers.
>
> Is there a certain interface that a browser must have in order
> to being supported by browse-url.elc ?

I'm not sure I understand: are you asking what would it take for Emacs to
add yet another browser to the list?  If so, I guess being Free Software is
the only important requirement.