all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Outdated version dependencies on GnuPG 2.0 in epg-tests.el?
@ 2023-06-04 10:44 Jens Schmidt
From: Jens Schmidt @ 2023-06-04 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The following test

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/test/lisp/epg-tests.el?h=master

has some fixmes and describes restrictions related to GnuPG 2.0, in
particular on Hydra CI.

According to the GnuPG NEWS the first GnuPG 2.1 release dates back to
2014.  So probably these restrictions are outdated and could be lifted,
at least in master?

I'm asking for two reasons:

1. I could provide fixes to lift the restrictions.

2. I'd like to write tests for plstore, which uses EPG as backend, and
    do not want to introduce such version dependencies if it can be
    avoided.

Thanks

* Re: Outdated version dependencies on GnuPG 2.0 in epg-tests.el?
@ 2023-06-04 11:58 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-06-04 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Schmidt; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 12:44:57 +0200
> From: Jens Schmidt <jschmidt4gnu@vodafonemail.de>
>
> The following test
>

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/test/lisp/epg-tests.el?h=master
>
> has some fixmes and describes restrictions related to GnuPG 2.0, in
> particular on Hydra CI.
>
> According to the GnuPG NEWS the first GnuPG 2.1 release dates back to
> 2014.  So probably these restrictions are outdated and could be lifted,
> at least in master?
>
> I'm asking for two reasons:
>
> 1. I could provide fixes to lift the restrictions.
>
> 2. I'd like to write tests for plstore, which uses EPG as backend, and
>     do not want to introduce such version dependencies if it can be
>     avoided.

If adapting the tests to all versions, old and new, is not too
complicated, I'd prefer not to drop support for old versions.

It's also okay to make the new tests skipped unless v2.1 or newer is
installed, especially if the features you test are supported only with
those newer versions anyway.

Thanks.